What is the countertop?
Hila Sabin
August 16, 2012 in Photo Questions
robert kelly
carrerra marble. It stains easily and is soft, but is one of the few choices that looks like it may have been original
August 16, 2012 at 6:25AM   
Pacific Stone Fabrication
If durability is an issue for you - I would recommend looking at some quartz products. Quartz countertops are very durable and some are available in marble like finishes. Caesarstone: Misty Carrera is an example and also Quartzforms carries some color options as well.
August 16, 2012 at 7:20AM     
Audra Carlson
yes, i LOVE carrara marble, it's my favorite, and i know durability is an issue, that it's soft and stains, i have heard you can seal it and thus protect it? is this true? and does anyone know HOW durable the seal is? what is the longevity? also does the ceasarsrstone mentioned above look super close to classic grey and white carrara marble?
December 30, 2012 at 1:31PM   
Bridgewater Marble & Granite LLC
Hello Audra. We are a fabricator of natural and engineered surfaces and may be able to shed some light on the durability issue (to the best of our knowledge, of course). There have been recent advances in the industry in the past year or so in regard to the sealing of marble. While we still use the trusty Tenax Hydrex for most granite surfaces, we now use either Dry-Treat Meta Creme or Dry-Treat Stain-Proof for marble, travertine and limestone countertops with fantastic feedback from our customers. Dry-Treat warranties these products for 15 years when they are applied by an accredited applicator. These sealing treatments will protect against staining, however, they will not prevent scratching or etching. The only way (as of now) to protect against etching is to use a honed marble versus a polished marble. With a polished marble, even when treated, acidic products will immediately etch the surface - in other words, when acidic products come into contact with polished marble it will essentially hone that area resulting a spotty look.

As for the Caesarstone Misty Carrara, it is a popular choice for homeowners who desire the look of Carrara marble without the maintenance and worry. Other engineered quartz lines that are also mimicking marble are Silestone's Lyra, Dupont Zodiaq Okite's Bianco Carrara and Cambria's Waverton and Torquay. Since they are still engineered quartz products, the pattern is more uniform and does not have the natural movement of the marble. Aesthetically, in a personal opinion, the engineered quartz materials will give the desired overall look from afar though the difference is apparent when closer. Functionally, the engineered quartz products are certainly more durable than marble in regard to scratching and etching (when polished).

Best of luck!
January 2, 2013 at 1:56PM     
Audra Carlson
wow! thanks for that awesome answer!!!! i so appreciate your knowledge~ i think i probably will go with the honed marble with the dry treat sealer. i definitely LOVE the look of the REAL thing. thanks!
January 19, 2013 at 9:42AM   
skigirl1
Good Advice from Bridgewater - we have a company also and Love/Saved photo.
Was worried about the surfaces when others saw the Pic without knowing the material and how to work w it.
March 9, 2013 at 5:25AM   
Sandra Barrera
The countertops are marble? Clearly this is not a cook's kitchen or those countertops would be ruined.
May 17, 2013 at 8:52PM     
robert kelly
we are an active family and use the counters daily. They are stained at the sink and stove, but this is what Carrrerra does.
May 18, 2013 at 6:03AM   
Nancy
It's funny about the above comment that this was not a cook's kitchen because when I sowed my husband the picture - mainly pointing out the marble counter - his comment was that this was clearly a cook's kitchen. I really want a marble counter and have researched it and the consensus seems to be if you can handle a few stains, you will love it? (Also love the stove.)
May 19, 2013 at 4:22PM   
kmarsek
We just installed a carrara marble countertop on our kitchen island and we LOVE it. No staining so far. We did take home a few pieces ahead of time to test with different foods (canned tomatoes, lemon, vinegar, wine, etc left overnight). Sealed marble will resist staining; that said, we are also comfortable with the patina we expect it to take on as it ages. We like the look.
June 13, 2013 at 7:31AM   
dcxena
I, too, wanted the look of marble, but it just wasn't practical for my family. We used "White Macaubus" granite (which I discovered on Houzz!) which mimics the look beautifully. Everyone who sees our kitchen thinks it's marble until I tell them differently. Be forewarned though: this granite comes from the Ukraine and is expensive
July 12, 2013 at 6:01AM     
Comfortable Flooring
I am trying to figure out what type flooring I should...
Load-bearing wall removal
I need to remove a load bearing wall between the dining...
New front door, what color to stain it?
Apparently I need to decide ASAP on my door color....
need help on my basement
I do not like the long hal which waste the space. I...
Need help with Kelly Moore paint for ceiling and accent walls
I have a S-curve hallway ceiling and need to select...