Marble kitchen edge
Kosta's Inc.
August 16, 2012 in Photo Questions
We are looking at putting a Calcutta marble counter on our kitchen counters. It's a 2cm I was told they were going to put a "laminated edge" to make it look thicker. What does that mean? Is it still all marble?
Pacific Stone Fabrication
Granite and marble typicalkly some in 2cm and 3cm thickness. Marble is more common in 2cm thickness. 2cm can look a bit thin (don't get me wrong we have done some modern looking kitchens in 2cm as well - looks great and minimalistic) so often a laminated edge is done. Laminated edge is when we add a strip of marble to the underside of the countertop where your edge is (see edge profile sheet). We do not layer the entire slab - just where your edges are. This will give you a nice 4cm or 1 1/2" thick edge profile. Quality of fabrication comes into play - as lamination/layer lines are never invisible.

With marble I often recommend a mitered edge - this can look beautiful and you can customize the thickness of the finished edge. With a mitered edge - the veins in the marble will wrap around the edge beautifully. Mitering is more expensive than laminating.
August 16, 2012 at 7:28AM   
Pacific Stone Fabrication
I cannot seem to get the edge profile sheet to load - but its available on our webite www.pacificstone.ca
August 16, 2012 at 7:31AM   
Kosta's Inc.
Thank u!!
August 19, 2012 at 7:39AM   
jloleary
Is just the island mitered or are perimeter counters mitered as well? We are using Calcutta for our counters and I'm considering mitering the island only. Will that look off balance?
May 21, 2014 at 4:38AM   
Pacific Stone Fabrication
Hello. The countertops on the perimeter are 1 1/4" (not mitered). I would suggest if you are using 1 1/4" thick slabs then no mitering would look great however if you are using 3/4`` thick marble slabs then I would recommend mitering them all instead of laminating them. The lamination line can be quite visible on marble so we try and avoid that.
May 21, 2014 at 9:11AM   
jloleary
Thank you. They are1 1/2 inches. Sound like I can save the added expense then
May 21, 2014 at 10:35AM   
what type of edge is on the marble counter? is it 2 or 3 cm?
i also love the little ledge under the mirror. how...
edge on marble countertop
What edge was used for the perimeter countertop? Thank...
Marble Edge
What type of bevel does this counter have?
Something Missing
Looking for ideas! I feel as though something is missing...
You spilled WHAT? WHERE?
I'm always horrified at the notion of spilling something...
New House Practically Blank Slate
Just moved into new house--open concept living, dining,...
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
Kitchen backsplash ideas??
Need help deciding on a backsplash in our kitchen....