What Size George Nelson Saucer Pendant Lamp for Dining Room?
Maria Urbina-Fauser
Hello,
We are buying a GN saucer pendant lamp for our dining room and we are torn between getting the medium (25" wide) and the large (35")? Which one should we get?
Susan Deneau Interior Design
What size/shape is your dining table? And the overall dimensions of the room? If you can provide that info, I'd be happy to offer my input...
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 4:02PM
Kristina A. Cook Interiors, LLC
The bigger size. Scale is one of the most important elements in design. Now, if the room is extremely large, as well as the table, you can always hang three of the larger sized pendant lights.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 4:06PM
Maria Urbina-Fauser
Many thanks Susan, the dining table is rectangular (74.5"w x 35.5"d x 29.5"h), and the room is quite large (open space with living room and kitchen)... The bigger size is sounding great, thanks Kristina for your comment on scale!
0 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 6:08AM
Susan Deneau Interior Design
This will ultimately be your personal preference, but I would recommend going with the Medium size - because of the width of your table. The 25" light can be centered over the table and there will be 6" of space from edge of pendant to edge of table depth. The Large size will span edge to edge of the table depth (actually exceed it be .5") and I feel that would be too over sized and truly look like a UFO hovering over your table!

I've attached a photo from a project I worked on several years ago in Palm Springs - used a round dining table and a saucer pendant - I can't remember the exact size, but you can see the scale of the light fixture in proportion to the table...

And finally, I really like the criss-cross saucer pendant - it's a bit less commonly used/seen than the regular one and I love that design even more. Hope this was helpful! - Susan
2 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 9:52AM
Maria Urbina-Fauser
Super useful Susan, thank you so much. You have given me some really good food for thought. Ps. Love the space you did.
0 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 10:46AM
Susan Deneau Interior Design
Thanks for the compliment! It's not all that difficult to make an historic mid century modern house look good... ;o)
Best of luck with your pendant shopping!
0 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 3:26PM
yeshecho
I have a long room 45' x 12' I want to put two Nelson sauce shaped lights in the room. SHould they both be the same size? One is over a couch sitting area and the other is over a wood stove are with 2 comfortable chairs. I think the small would look better over the chairs and the medium over the couch but I am thinking they should both be the same size. ANy help you could give is greatly appreciated.
0 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 5:36PM
Salma Quraishi
def don't need to be the same size. I would do the pear over the chairs and saucer over the couch. Or mix a ball and a saucer. Personally, I wouldn't use two of the same shape, even if the sizes are different.
0 Likes   July 24, 2013 at 10:56AM
Salma Quraishi
btw, as far as the original thread- I have a Medium Ball over a 104" table, and the proportion is great. It's a 19 inch sphere. I'm glad I went smaller rather than larger, otherwise it would have overwhelmed the space. My personal feeling is that the Nelsons were not designed to be focal points or centerpieces, and have to be scaled right to make sense in a space. I would stick to mediums for all applications, other than stairwells, high ceiling entryways or double height living rooms. I have a ball and a saucer, and I struggled with this question quite a bit. This is the conclusion I came to, based on my spaces and personal aesthetics.
1 Like   Thanked by Maria Urbina-Fauser    July 24, 2013 at 11:03AM
FINNE Architects
I Suggest The Medium Size, 25 Inches Is A Large Pendant!
0 Likes   July 27, 2013 at 2:47PM
Salma Quraishi
Not according to modernica and ylighting. The medium saucer is definitely 25". Large is 36".
1 Like   July 27, 2013 at 10:20PM
themonsoons
I have a square dining table (seats eight). I'm thinking the best choice for us would be a large criss cross GN saucer. However, I'm wondering if it will provide enough light in the evening/late afternoon. Our current lighting above the table is not the sole source of light, but we do depend on it. Any thoughts? I'm also flirting with the idea of doing a grouping of three small instead of one large-- since I currently have power cords hanging for three. Your thoughts welcome! Thank you!
0 Likes   August 23, 2013 at 2:59PM
Correct size of pendant-- Nelson saucer--Large or Extra Large
Would like to order the Nelson saucer to go over dining...
bondale4
Appropriate size for Nelson Saucer Pendant in entry
I would like to create the sense of a slightly defined...
kmeeker
Need help for my kitchen
I want to design my kitchen.I need to think of what...
ptamilselvi
Does Tuscan faux finish look dated?
We recently bought a house in Arizona that is very...
gail1979
Dilemmas without end.
Not exactly a design question, but is there a competition...
flopsycat1
Norman Starburst mirror over fireplace mantle
This mantle needs something big and round instead of...
cabinretreater43
Help my Bathroom!!!
My log cabin guest bathroom is really boring. I want...
cabinretreater43