colors for commercial store front, 1896
needshave
Need help determining exterior colors for our store front. Bricks are a reddish-burnt orange color with a gray mortar joint. Both sides of the store front are the same, the lower windows are covered up on the left side for some reason, that will all be removed. Looking for a classy old world look with rich hues. I have experimented with a deep green-brownish color and you will see it in one of the pictures. Having trouble picking the colors since nothing seems to really set right next to the brick. Thanks in advance for your help. The inside is all natural wood and a lot of it. Please let me know if I can answer any questions.
I really like the color you have experimented with. Are you open to using that color for the trim areas, then another color for the board portion above each threshold?

Neat storefronts! Where is this?
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 11:21AM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
With an old building like that, you really need a three or four color scheme to look right.

I'd say your main color should be SW Roycroft Bottle Green, the trim color should be SW Roycroft Copper Red or another deep red, and you should pick out some highlights with a metallic gold. The panels at the bottom can be SW Birdseye Maple.

If you're not a green fan, use can substitute a navy blue.

Also, you need an awning. : )
3 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 11:23AM
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Hi Needshave ,Tell me the frontage of your store , is it a Men's Salon , so accordingly I can suggest something , one more thing , is this a heritage zone ? can you not paint the Brick or any other rules , please mention that as well .
1 Like   August 16, 2012 at 11:23AM
photojil
I also like the color you are considering. What color is it?
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 11:24AM
needshave
Emily,
I'm pretty much open to any color combination. I mixed the green myself to what my mind was seeing and had home depot duplicate it. It's a nice old building. I have done considerable work inside and restored all of the woodwork. I think it needs multiple colors on the front. At least three.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 11:38AM
needshave
Coast road,
Thanks for the suggestions. What would you paint the vertical boards above the Windows? I'm open to all color combinations, but you're right it needs multiple colors. I visited a building earlier similar in appearance that was Black, cream and gold. Very Nice. I will head to s-williams and see if I can find paints chips of your colors. Any other ideas appreciated.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 11:42AM
needshave
Vikrant, It is a heritage zone. No painting brick, no awnings.
Photojil, pretty much a color I made by mixing colors to get something my mind could see. My mind just cant find two other colors to go with it.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 11:44AM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
needshave, I like your green, which is what we call "Charleston green", with a little black in it, but I think you'll need to use premixed colors to get the intensity you need.

Look for Victorian or Arts & Crafts historical collections at any paint store (not just SW), and you probably find the rich colors you're looking for

I'll play with the facade a little and post the results . .
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 11:46AM
needshave
Thanks Coastroad, I appreciate your help. I see the colors but the reddish-burnt orange brick seems to de-rail any combination I come up with. I'm not stuck on the green, just something I came up with.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 11:55AM
Tres McKinney Design
What a great building! I think you are going in the right direction with the green but I think it should be a lot darker shade. I recommend painting it a dark black/blue shade like Benjamin Moore CSP-630 "After Midnight" or a black/green like Sherwin Williams SW6216 "Jasper"in a satin or semi gloss finish. Hopefully you will be painting all the wood on the building and not just one side. A building like this should not be cut up with two differnt paint schemes side by side. I would add English style box planters between the steps filling the spaces between the steps and painted the same color as the building. These should be planted with something evergreen like large box wood balls or if you like a more casual evergreen. I would paint the doors the same color as all the other trim. If you can I would also paint the upper story window frames in the same dark color. Signage could be gold letters on the store front windows or on the upper portion where the lantern is. You might consider 4 brass or as many as 6 lanterns across the top of the building instead of the single lantern or these could be more of a retro industrial style such as Toy classic RLM arm mounted fixtures in antique brass or copper. Note: were there originally clear story windows in the area boarded up? If so I would explore replacing them.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 12:05PM
trisn
I like your green, also consider a deep brown. High gloss!
The white door needs painting too.
Keep it all the same, it will look smart and won’t distract from the windows.
That old lantern is fab! The modern lights aren’t.
Nice building!
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 12:20PM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
this is just a quick study, but you can see how the colors work together . . .
.
1 Like   August 16, 2012 at 12:26PM
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Hey Needshave, look at these store Images; before and after in a heritage zone maybe you get some idea .
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 12:28PM
needshave
yes I can, thanks so much. SW is too blocks away going to take a walk and look at the chips you recommended. Thanks again.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 12:32PM
needshave
vikrant, thanks so much. I will blow pictures up and take a look. Anyone else have any color combination ideas???
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 2:10PM
Kevin Mauseth
I would do a real deep brown around the small windows below the storefront windows and on the doors, do a creamy trim to lighten and brighten and then a blue grey color on the wood above the storefront windows to add interest. Look at Miller Paint Divine Storm or Divine Rain for the blue color ideas. Think dark chocolate for the brown. The blue tones will compliment the orange/red of the brick and tie in nicely and the creamy trim will be a nice contrast to the brick as well.
1 Like   August 16, 2012 at 2:54PM
AMN
I just Googled the term: historic downtown
I got tons of pics of quaint downtown areas with pictures of buildings. To get better details, try conducting the same search and then clicking "Large" on the left hand side to show only photos that are sizable enough to determine colors.

Also, Benjamin Moore has a nice historical colors collection on their website. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/color-gallery#&ce_vm=2&ce_col=HC

I'm a big fan of dark mossy greens - Roycroft Bottle Green or something like would be included in that group. I like rich grays too like: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/kittygray
I think heavy grays look nice with a pop of color on the door like a fresh yellow.

Finally, I have to say that it makes me squeal with delight to see someone fixing up old storefronts in these types of areas. I don't know what city or state you're in, but these old downtowns are important. My hometown's main street is deader than a doornail, and it is incredibly sad.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 3:01PM
AMN
Here are a few. I like the monochromatic green one that says Old Main Street on the sign.
1 Like   August 16, 2012 at 3:05PM
needshave
kevin, thanks for the ideas. I'm having trouble finding the blue tones with "miller paint divine store" if you have a paint number or a link that would be a great help. I really like the dark chocolate. Thanks again.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 3:47PM
Kevin Mauseth
Here is the website link: http://www.millerpaint.com/homeowners_htm/homeowners_devine_color.htm

The colors I would look at are:
Divine Rain
Divine Storm
Note they are both from the "silver skies" collection.

They are both blues, but in the grey, overcast skies family of blue. It's a rich, subtle elegant look I would try to achieve. You could order the paint chip and color match in any paint you'd like to use.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 3:58PM
Design Moe Kitchen & Bath / Heather Moe designer
Because there is usually black, white, and gray in used brick, I would like to see high gloss black paint as your main color, including on the front door. To go with the black, I like the suggestion so far to use shiny brass letters and (if possible) brass lanterns, which will look rich, add "bling," and stand out beautifully against the black. If you want to add some graphic look-at-me quality you could put a short, black-and-white-striped, pull-down shade just inside the window glass, or add some strategic (but limited) Chinese red paint to the door area.
This type of analogous color scheme (red,terracotta, and brick, with black, white, & gray) is fairly classic; it will look self-assured and comfortable (historic) even as the high-contrast black/white/shiny brass grab the attention of passing potential clients.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 5:06PM
needshave
Used Brick? Not sure where that is coming from. The bricks were all fired local to the region and were consistent through out its structure., The bricks are not from another structure, if that is what you are thinking. Black is interesting. Where do you see it used. Facade? Facade only? How about the small windows below the plate glass windows? do you see the windows a contrasting color or the support structure a third color? It's a very interesting concept. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 6:19PM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
@needshave, this is a little off-topic, but what is behind that vertical paneling above the windows? Were there windows? Sometimes there are hidden treasures like in the streetscape AMN posted . . .
.
1 Like   August 16, 2012 at 7:06PM
needshave
Many years ago when it was built there were 4" square glass pates, beveled on all four sides set in a lead frame. Very striking.One of the previous owners took them out because they were "cold". I know. I have pictures of her when she was a post office, grocery and hardware store, and was there then. It now has 5/4 board and batten. It does have a unique and beautiful press tinned ceiling like I have never seen before, Very intricate and beautiful. Took me 4 months to prep, seal, prime and paint. I'll try and post a picture. Thanks again for your help.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 7:16PM
AMN
I don't know if you ever managed to find the Silver Skies colors mentioned by Kevin. Man! Devine Color really doesn't want you to find specific shades on the web! It took several tries to figure out how to view colors. Anyway, here's how (just in case).

Go to http://www.devinecolor.com/devine/colorcollections/trend-proof.jsp
- See those rings of colored dots underneath the Color Collections banner?
- Silver Skies is the fourth ring from the right. Roll your cursor over it, and you'll see.
- Click the ring to view the collection. Click each color to see it larger.

That photo COASTROAD shared is gorgeous. Sigh.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 7:30PM
needshave
AMN. Thanks for your kind words. I love old buildings and architecture. Many of the old downtown area's are in real trouble. There are some real diamonds in the rough there, but many people do not want to see them restored to their original beauty, but would prefer they be leveled and more efficient structures be built. With the various levels of the local government standing with their hands out, for zoning, inspection and impact fees and the restrictions they place on century old structures it makes it difficult for the older downtowns to rebuild and survive. This is my second building I have restored in a downtown area. I will be putting a business in one side and renting out the other and very upscale apartments upstairs (2000 square feet) No other buildings have been restored or updated in this downtown and frankly very bad shape with a Hodge-podge of different materials used to cover the stately brick. I love the interior of the building and I had to have her. The colors still puzzle me, I'll get there, I just want it right and hopefully help spark the downtown business interest and draw considerable interest in it.

Like I said this is my second restoration, I have attached a small picture of the first , also located in another downtown area of a city, commercial and part of a historical district. I have a restaurant here. ( as you can see I'm still working on the exterior colors here too. The bottom yellow cream is the end color, picture taken before it was finished.) Thanks again.
2 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 7:38PM
needshave
AMN, I agree. I finally did find it, but why make it so difficult. Actually I think I found it just be accident. The building photo Coastroad shared is truly gorgeous. Buildings like that just beg you to come in.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 8:05PM
Custom Home Planning Center
I just see using a stain-able wood filler, a smi transparent mahogany wood stain to give it a uniform under coat. And a rich Mahogany solid oil based stain with a oil base sealer coat for gloss.
0 Likes   August 16, 2012 at 9:53PM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
@needshave, Great work on your first project. I'm sure you'll do this one justice.

We used a color scheme of navy, dark green, chocolate brown (milk, not dark) and ivory for the flagship Ghirardelli store to give it a late nineteenth century feel.

We got rid of the polished brass hardware & fixtures, because that seemed to give the main store a '70s look, but used a lot of black iron and polished nickel hardware to update it, or retro it, depending on your perspective.

On the Front Street Brewery, we used a deep red (can't remember) & Roycroft Bottle green together with some khaki. Frankly, the paint work outside looks a little dull, but the refinished mahogany looks pretty sharp. (we also painted the tin ceiling Bottle Green).
.
0 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 6:15AM
PoshHaus
So nice to see things that aren't strip malls!
0 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 7:29AM
needshave
Coastroad, thanks for the info and pictures. It's a great help. I have tried to find some pictures of the Ghiradelli flagship store but have not had any luck. I'm sure I've been there. Any chance you might a picture or too you could shoot me? I love the mahogany on the front street Brewery. You're eye goes directly to the mahogany! I have struggled with painting the woodwork in the commercial space we are talking about. Most if it is Oak.If you look at my pictures, all of the trim, corners, above and below the plate glass windows is not wood but all copper with what seems to be a relatively high brass content, because it will buff up to a high finish. AS you said I'm concerned too, about the perception of 70's tinsel town, If I buff clean it with acid and buff it to a luster, I can retain it's color without oxidizing by coating it with a material I found. any thoughts. it may be too much of a luster. But if it is a dark color around it, maybe not.
1 Like   August 17, 2012 at 9:04AM
needshave
Customer home planning center, thanks for sharing your thoughts. How would that look compare to the picture COASTROAD shared with us of the Front Street Brewery? If you have a link that provides more information on the materials you recommended I would appreciate it greatly, if you could send it my way. Thanks again.
0 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 9:11AM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
The color scheme at Ghirardelli was based on a custom American Olean mosaic tile pattern that we developed, and, sadly, American Olean has discontinued a couple of the colors, so I can't even show you on the website.

The other sad thing is that the management at Ghirardelli remodeled the shop after we did the job in 1990 and a lot of the character of the "original" job is gone. I'll hunt for some old photos.

That's pretty awesome that you have brass/copper trim around the windows. I don't know if you can tell from the FSB photo, but I like to use polished (but unfinished) brass for door hardware, including the three tube pushbar from inside. I like the patina you get from use.
0 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 9:47AM
needshave
do you think the copper/brass would be too much? it basically ends up being a picture frame to the plate glass window.

I'm trying to visualize the colors the you used at Ghiradelli. In your minds eye, do you see the warm chocolate being the main color and on my building the facade would be painted the chocolate. the support under the windows chocolate, the window paines dark green with a cream trim and a blue strip along the width of the building above the facade? or is the Dark green the main color? I just came in from the front of the building. An interested person walking past me asked what i was looking at, told him I was trying to pick some colors for the exteriors. His comment..." are you covering it with vinyl siding? they make some nice stuff now." I had to come back inside.
1 Like   August 17, 2012 at 10:03AM
Kevin Mauseth
Haha. Vinyl siding is almost always a mistake. Too funny. I don't think the copper/brass would be too much. I'm a fan of working with what is already there and the features it already has - this could be just the little bit of 'bling' factor you are looking for to catch people's eye as they walk by. The color certainly fits with many of the schemes being discussed here. Have you thought about lighting and door hardware yet? Those could be other ways to tie in this copper/brass color. The finish doesn't necessarily date it to a particular time period if the style is correct and coordinates with the rest of what you are trying to do.
1 Like   August 17, 2012 at 10:33AM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
At Ghirardelli, the main color is dark blue, like BM Old Navy, then green, then brown then off-white. With all of that visible brick, and assuming you are planning to keep some wood visible, you could skip the reddish brown entirely and use a taupe or khaki with the blue and green. I still would like to see some moulding details picked out with some gold . . .

I'll take the detail photo above and do a study to see how it looks.
0 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 11:18AM
needshave
Thanks coastroad, do you think the polished copper alloy trim would highlight the area. I like gd with the green or blue. Thanks again.
0 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 11:29AM
Tres McKinney Design
I think the copper trim would would be very distinctive and highlight the windows. I would add other copper elements such as the light fixtures. I still vote for painting the wood a black/blue or black green. And if it is in the buget I wold definetely restore the clear story windows! Depending on how you are going to use the commercial space, you could carry the copper into the interior with a copper counter or a copper clad entry door.
0 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 6:09PM
needshave
Tres, I agree, I'm leaning toward the use of the dark black green, perhaps its more of a brown green. I like that it tones down the bright red-orange brick color and has yet a rich classy flavor to it. The accent colors are still somewhat of a mystery, Playing with the accents of burgundy or deep maroon, perhaps a lighter green and a straw, amber or golden colors. Any ideas?
2 Likes   August 20, 2012 at 8:18PM
AMN
With black moss green colors, I favor gold accents. I see a lot of green and burgundy on old storefronts, and I think it would be nice to aim for something different.
1 Like   August 20, 2012 at 8:21PM
needshave
Thanks, I believe I will probably go with Behr paint chip s-h-770 'bridge wood" AS the base color. That would probably be the color of the facade or area above the windows. I now need to pick colors to accent and trim, anyone have any ideas based upon the bridgewood color. I want some gold contrasting the bridgewood up high. I want to have a minimum of three preferably four colors on this building . What about the windows down low and the doors. The commercial entrance doors are currently natural finish.
Thanks again.
0 Likes   August 21, 2012 at 9:52AM
needshave
Also, should all of the paint have the same type of finish, meaning flat, semi gloss or gloss/ Or should it be just flat? I unfortunately have more questions than answers.
0 Likes   August 21, 2012 at 10:03AM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
NO flat. It is terrible to keep clean, and the colors look dull. Semi-gloss on everything.

Keep the questions coming.
0 Likes   August 21, 2012 at 10:09AM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
. . . and if the door finish looks OK, stick with a natural finish. Don't paint the doors unless the wood is so damaged that it needs to be patched.

Good call on the "bridgewood" - a nice, deep color.
0 Likes   August 21, 2012 at 10:14AM
needshave
ok. thanks. ANy thoughts on the bridgewood or had a chance to look at it?
0 Likes   August 21, 2012 at 10:14AM
needshave
Doors are good, 3" solid oak. The center door going upstairs needs to be some accent color, Not sure what that could be.
0 Likes   August 21, 2012 at 10:17AM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Saw "bridgewood", but only on the computer, not an actual chip. It appears to be sort of a "non" color, dark & neutral, which should be fine as your main color, but you'll need to add some more colors to make it pop. I use a similar BM color (HC-166 Kendall Charcoal) for a lot of my projects, when I want it to recede. Not brown, not gray.
0 Likes   August 21, 2012 at 11:00AM
needshave
I'm going to go get a chip of the kendall charcoal and see what it looks like. BM here is a bit difficult, although almost next door, I think there are more color challenged than I am. I may need to rethink this then, I don't want the building to disappear if I paint it Bridgewood. I don't want this building to disappear as it is in the middle of a group of underachievers and I am hoping to spark interest in this building and the community. I need the building to really pop and maybe Bridgewood would be better suited as an accent color.
0 Likes   August 21, 2012 at 11:49AM
UCARCHITECT
have a look at Vermont Natural Coatings. They are whey based products & are likely in tune with the time period.
0 Likes   August 21, 2012 at 12:45PM
Kevin Mauseth
I'm curious to see the final product/selections if you have any update or photos to share. Kevin
1 Like   September 25, 2012 at 1:07PM
Vinyl or laminate floor for commercial outfitters store in florida?
I am leasing and right now 1/3 is concrete, 1/3 red...
ghingalls
Need opinion on using glass front commercial fridges.
One fridge is not enough, and Im tired of always going...
Julia Fano
michaelbmk
Wall colors for a commercial party room
I'm designing a massive 50 x 30' room for a marina...
licethe
l'oreal commercial featuring diane keaton wall paint color?
does anyone know the wall paint color used in the l'oreal...
hansonresidence
Does Tuscan faux finish look dated?
We recently bought a house in Arizona that is very...
gail1979
New curved sofa: keep it or sell it?
I started to decorate the living room of my new house....
irenale
Help with exterior ideas
We are purchasing this home and should close on it...
Amy Brooks
Paint color
Any suggestions for a kitchen wall color to compliment...
Dorit Levy Helmer
Dysfunctional family room
This community was so helpful with my pantry dilemma...
Laurie