Can I pull off painting my front door RED?
alabamalibrarian83
My house was built in 1972.
I don't know what to call its style..is there a word for this look?
I love the entryway's courtyard and wrought iron and flowerbed and fountain, but the front door color is an icky tan that I do not enjoy coming home to.

I've always wanted a red front door. Do you think that would match my brick? And would I also paint the trim around the side-window and door frame, or just the door itself?

If you think red is a disaster, then please state your suggestion for otherwise. (I kinda hope red is okay though, because I already bought some...gulp)

THANK YOU! : )
First, LOVE the house. I hate to even say this because you already bought it, but I am a little worried that the red will make all the red come out of the brick and then you will have an "Oh, my gosh so very, very red" house. Unless, you want that, then totally go for it. Here's the thing...if you don't like it, you can always paint it again.

The color you have now seems to bring the lighter beiges out. I think you can pretty easily do a grey or even a black though.

Whatever you decide, I want to see after pics. I love a good before and after. :)
August 16, 2012 at 5:49pm     
svs3
Yes! And make it really shiny Chinese red! It will look great with your brick. A new black WELCOME mat would set it off perfectly! Be brave - punch it up!
August 16, 2012 at 5:55pm     
alabamalibrarian83
Thanks for the input; I love this website!!

I'm thinking I should have thought about it a little longer before making the bright-red impulse buy at Sherwin Williams....dark brown or a brownish gray or black sounds like it might look good.
Or maybe I'll just see what the red looks like, and if it's too overwhelming, re-paint. Wouldn't be the first time.
August 16, 2012 at 6:02pm     
Cheryl Ghindia
A punch of color would look fabulous! Go for it!
August 16, 2012 at 6:02pm   
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
I would not paint this door red. I think black would be better. Black would provide a high contrast to the brick, which I think is needed. Add some black pots with chartreuse plants for even more color contrast. A red door would just be more red with the red bricks, the house detail gets lost. Black door with black trim would be great.

Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
August 16, 2012 at 6:17pm     
trisn
I don't think red would look good.
But that's not important, it's your house, try it! Play!
August 16, 2012 at 6:32pm     
I'd paint the door red and the area around the side lights charcoal gray.
August 16, 2012 at 6:47pm     
PoshHaus
Go for it!
August 16, 2012 at 6:52pm     
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Do you use the storm door?

If you do, I'd recommend lightly sanding the aluminum frame and painting it the same color as the door. If you don't use the storm door, I'd suggest removing it and putting it in the garage so you can appreciate the full glory of your 15-panel door, whatever color you choose to paint it..

P.S. I originally voted for red, but I think I see Charmean's point about black.
August 16, 2012 at 7:15pm     
joettabrown
I think it would look great with that blue/green color that's also common for doors ask your paint store to show you, But if you want red I would accent it some with one or two yard ordiments welcome mat. Or mailbox if it's in front of your yard.
August 16, 2012 at 7:15pm     
Beth Morrow
Go with the black! It will pull the black out of the brick and you will love it! If you go red use Ralph Lauren's cranberry red, but really, I'd go black! It makes all your holiday wreaths look beautiful! Ahhh, you might want to replace the gold door hardware with a polished chrome too. Looks very clean on the black and the gold, well, not so much! Hope I've compelled you back to the paint store and will be watching for your update pics! Good luck!
August 16, 2012 at 7:24pm     
mspilker
I have to agree with the comments on the black - I think the red will just be a bit much with the brick. Sorry!! : ( Accenting around the area in front with potted red flowers (in a black planter to match the door color) or a bold wreath in the red tones would really pop against the black door. I would also agree that the storm door should either match the door color or remove it.
August 16, 2012 at 7:57pm   
Lanie Brown, REALTOR®, Martha Turner Sotheby's
I love a red front door and was inclined to encourage that choice. If you want to try red, I wonder about a brownish red to work with the orange I see in the brick. But I am swayed by Charmean's argument and think the black door would be stunning. Hardware is expensive, so make sure you're pleased with the look of the black front door, and then consider Beth's suggestion for chrome hardware. If you go for this whole look, I think brushed nickel instead of polished chrome.
August 16, 2012 at 8:03pm     
zapex
Go for the Red, it will be beautiful.
August 17, 2012 at 1:36am     
Rachel Jane
A glossy black would look great. Classic and striking. I also agree with the suggestion to change out the hardware to chrome. If you're really compelled to try the red, go for it. If you have a change of heart, buy a fresh can of paint and try again. That's the beauty of decorating with paint!
August 17, 2012 at 2:02am     
grizzly
I would call the style of your lovely house Spanish Modern.
I notice that the door matches the rest of the trim of the house. The only other color I see in use is black on the metal details. I would paint the door satin black and leave the door casings and sidelite trimmed in the tan to keep the entry tied to the rest of the house.

Personally I like black and gold together very much and see no need to change the door hardware to silver or nickel. Howerver my first choice for the storm door would be to remove it. If it provides needed weather protection then paint it black also. Caution! If sunshine reaches the door temperatures between the storm door and the main door ( if painted black ) could become high enough to dammage the paint.
August 17, 2012 at 2:02am     
Vikrant Sharma Homez
I would suggest go For Black , it will give it Depth !
August 17, 2012 at 2:17am   
Karey Peterson_Pond
I think red wouldgive it Asian flair. I also agree with comments about black. How about a black screen door over red door ( a neighbor has this and it looks fantastic) or you could add black accessories like large ceramic black pot with healthy plants.
August 17, 2012 at 3:19am     
melonybrannon
Paint it RED! Do not listen to the naysayers, Red and Shiny, Brass kick plate to give it even more kick.
August 17, 2012 at 4:12am   
Scott's Creative Home
Feng Shui loves a red entry door. YES paint the door red, its what you want. Start with just the door and step back and see how you feel. If it seems that you can add more red, paint the sidelight as well. Make sure your red is more on the brown red tone. Notice in this image the 'red' coordinates with the brick.
August 17, 2012 at 4:39am     
imsuzz
High gloss black would be my choice. With a red door mat
August 17, 2012 at 5:35am   
Colleen MacDonald
OH YES !!! Red For Sure...just make sure it is a red that goes with the bricks. How about Brick Red? Can't wait to see it. ps. can you remove the screen door?
August 17, 2012 at 7:21am   
Chris Fox @ Furnitureland South
I love red doors and have had them myself, but in this case a BLACK door will look gorgeous. It will tie in with your light fixture finish, and be a great neutral for any decorations you use thoroughout the year. Whichever color you choose, you have to match the storm door to the door color or it will look awful and chopped up. Stay with the brass hardware, it will look much better with either color door unless you go with black hardware.
August 17, 2012 at 8:05am   
alabamalibrarian83
Painting the storm door had not occurred to me, good point. But since no rain or sun makes it to the front door anyway, due to the substantial overhang, we could easily remove it and do without one.
Now I can't wait to play around with painting it this weekend and post some "After" photos! Appreciate all the good feedback, everyone.
August 17, 2012 at 8:38am     
alwaysdesigning
If you paint a combo of black with the present tan it could be striking. Paint around exterior in black and leave accent areas in the tan color. Otherwise, all black will create a giant "black hole" entry. A full view storm door is very energy saving we discovered. We lost heat and air conditioning seeping out around the door without it. I would keep it and maybe paint it. Good luck
August 17, 2012 at 9:06am     
lessismoore
Black please - With all the black wrought iron panels/gates and light fixtures in the brick work already ... it just seems like the most natural choice. Add a beautiful fall wreath with wheat straw colors, branches and red berries. Beautiful! I'd even be tempted to paint the eves and the window trims black too.
August 17, 2012 at 9:39am     
dbartley
I am about to paint the front door of my red brick house black - I think black accents with brick are so classy and such a satisfying combination. BUT - if you already have the red, why not try it? It's only paint. I rarely get paint right on the first try but usually love the 2nd attempt. Have fun!
August 17, 2012 at 11:33am   
Toronto Designers
Will look forward to after shots with the red door. I would have recommended black too, or even dark royal blue, but red is a great colour and it's really so personal.
August 17, 2012 at 11:44am   
bwenk
We live in an older home build around same time and a neighbor painted their door a red, even had the original door much like yours it looked good so I think a pop out color would be good however I am not seeing a red here.. I see deep chocolate brown or maybe even a neat deep shade of gray. Think more about the color of your brick and pull out a color from there or the mortar. Don't paint the trim or windows ESP if u r going with a bright red in the end
August 17, 2012 at 12:31pm   
Barbara Purdy - Purdy & Associates Design
I agree with black or even better a charcoal dark grey with a touch of brown in it and agree also painting out all of the trim and eves would really be great.
August 17, 2012 at 12:37pm   
alabamalibrarian83
After seeing this picture, I wanted that look. This is the color that I bought, it's SW Real Red. Rachel was sweet and just emailed me back, to say she didn't think it would work with my bricks, and suggested Sherwin Williams Black Fox instead.

Sorry dont know how to embed the link to her post on houzz, but the URL is http://www.houzz.com/front-porch-bliss and the credit is Rachel Greathouse Design, www.rachelgreathousedesign.com
August 17, 2012 at 12:42pm     
Black - all of it - sidelight & storm included! Hang a red wreath, or orange or green or yellow or, you name it, they all work with black!
August 17, 2012 at 12:43pm     
ej610
My first choice would be black, second choice, red.
August 17, 2012 at 12:45pm   
Black fox is right along the lines of what I was thinking...It will look great!
August 17, 2012 at 12:46pm     
Beth Morrow
Lanie, when I say polished chrome, I mean brushed nickel...lol! My front door is black w brushed nickel hardware and I love it! Ah, but I've had a red door too and I loved that also. I was just over the red! Glad I read your post.:)
August 17, 2012 at 12:46pm   
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Do like your home and your picture in the window is cute too! I say try the red - and add some great red landscape decor!
August 17, 2012 at 1:35pm   
Daniel Moran Architect
It is hard to get a deep dark red over a white or light color. Paint the door a dark green first and the red will deepen as result.
Good luck. Have fun!
August 17, 2012 at 1:43pm   
freckles123
Try a deep charcoal grey and see if you like the cool contrast. If not, envision a cool grey mauve color versus the chinese red.
August 17, 2012 at 4:59pm   
imzadi
Yes, the shade in the reddish brick at the lower left of your door. Paint the frame the same colour.
And as you have gold coloured door hardware it would work better if your light would be the same colour.
August 17, 2012 at 6:00pm   
apples4391
I had a red door,recently painted it dark gray,almost black with brushed nickel hardware.I love the look,so fresh looking.
August 17, 2012 at 8:41pm   
apples4391
August 17, 2012 at 8:41pm   
karen paul interiors
Love the red idea, and most especially because it's what you've always wanted. How about you post the red you've selected and let us help you fine tune it if that's needed or bless it. :)
August 17, 2012 at 8:49pm     
debijudd
The door is beautiful. I'd probably go with the black and add blue or green pots. Red is tough with brick (although I'm a big red fan). Use the red paint you bought on something else.......a can of paint doesn't cost much but the labor is the investment.
August 18, 2012 at 4:24am   
mmlabrie
I think a black door would look awesome and leave the side lights alone! I am scared a red door would look lost, because it would blend in with the brick.
August 18, 2012 at 9:03am   
Gina Leitz
I'd do black but not in a gloss, but a dark brown with grey undertones would look nice also.
August 18, 2012 at 10:19am   
Jennifer Stedman
If you want the door red then paint the door red! You can pull it off if you think you can! It's like a risky outfit, if you wear it with confidence, then no one doubts it! I would add red flowers in neutral pots to give some of the same color to the rest of the house. Maybe two tall ones on either side of big front window.

On a side note I do love the black. But...that is a totally different look. It would look great to redo all of your trim in black...but that is another project.

If nothing else remember paint is not forever and have fun experimenting.

I want to see after pics!
August 18, 2012 at 10:26am     
Jennifer Stedman
Now that I see the planting area, add some more red in there and play it up. I think it would look great.
August 18, 2012 at 10:28am   
Jennifer Stedman
August 18, 2012 at 10:28am   
karen paul interiors
If you decide to do the red door, you might also give Ben Moore's Raspberry Truffle a try. I realize you have already made a red purchase. Benjamin Moore Raspberry Truffle and something similar to Sweet Spring for the remainder of your door area.Sweet Spring 1500
August 18, 2012 at 10:33am     
yogapaws
I love red - but agree a glossy black would rock this door/brick.
Please share an after picture!
August 18, 2012 at 10:44am     
Robin Goldberg
Please share the pictures. If you try more than one color, share them all :)
August 18, 2012 at 2:27pm   
Robin Goldberg
August 18, 2012 at 2:27pm   
Robin Goldberg
August 18, 2012 at 2:27pm   
Scott's Creative Home
Wow you have several ideas, try a new light with your red door.
August 18, 2012 at 2:30pm   
julywolfe
Pick a red on the brown side of read and you'll be fine. I think bright would be cool!
August 19, 2012 at 6:10am   
heathergrisham
A glossy Black along with the whole door frame and window trim! Bold, elegant statement.
August 19, 2012 at 6:38am   
jcloot
A "Chimayo Red" (Ralph Lauren) would look nice to blend with the brick. Agree to remove storm door if not necessary or paint same as tan trim. Another thought - paint lanterns on brick wall black. Beautiful house. Share after photos.
August 19, 2012 at 7:36am     
cr8tivestaging
Copper tone red would be complementary like the examples from Karen Paul or Scott's Creative. Black will do nothing for the home it will just be like a black hole and you will tire of it in no time. Before taking off the screen door, paint it the color you're intending for your front door and see if you love it. Good luck!
August 19, 2012 at 9:01am   
Custom Home Planning Center
Oil base paint with Japanese drying oil added to speed dry and remove brush strokes.
August 19, 2012 at 9:05am     
cheries
I vote for Charmean's idea, the BLACK would look SHARP. The red door might look nice but not as stunning and rich as the contrast of the black. You could paint the inside of the door red and the outside black if you just have to have a red door, then you can enjoy both "sides" ; )
August 19, 2012 at 9:19am     
Jennifer Stedman
Love the colors posted above by Karen Paul. I agree too that the black will look a bit drab. Remove the storm door for sure, give the brick and the concrete a good power wash. I do like the idea of read on the entire door area, including side light but the neutral posted with raspberry truffle would really brighten things up if you decided to re-paint all trim around the house and in front.

Go to like a gordmans or something similar and look at outdoor goods you may find a nice piece to put on the large brick area. Like a wrought iron something or other. That would look really great I think .

I also have heard Custom Home Planning Center to do idea for eliminating brush strokes.
August 19, 2012 at 12:10pm   
crtown12
I painted my front door a bright red that has nothing to do with my house at all...I just love the historic symbolism of red doors! Here's mine:
August 19, 2012 at 12:50pm     
camaguey1
red is good fortune and in my area there are tons of red doors. But in a brick house, it would be a bit much and to make it a brick or brownish coppery color would make it all blend with no definition.
If not gray or black, the white looks beautiful really, maybe a vanilla color with black smudge eyelining the panels to make the door panels pop out
August 19, 2012 at 1:16pm   
Cindi B.Jones
Do you live in Alabama? Near Birmingham perhaps? If so, it might be possible that I could do a drive by and help you out. Message me, or email me through my website www.SavvyShoestringInteriors.com. (Because I seriously doubt you will like a red door on red brick.)
August 19, 2012 at 1:17pm   
penelopesdreamydesigns
How about a deep black cherry color for your front door? I can't tell if your brick is more pinkish or more neutral? That might be the deciding factor whether you prefer the red or another color?
August 19, 2012 at 3:54pm   
alabamalibrarian83
It stormed almost all weekend and I didn't have time to do anything but prime the door. :-\ But then I realized, hey green primer is actually an improvement over the old color! :-)
Excuse the rocky nonlandscaped ground...the house sat empty for 2 years and we just moved in in May, so we're slowly but surely tackling various projects.
August 22, 2012 at 1:12pm   
Fireplace & Granite Distributors
The red would really give you the pop of color your house needs! Go red!
August 22, 2012 at 1:27pm   
bwenk
Thx for posting up pics...will u post another one when it's done
August 22, 2012 at 1:42pm     
alabamalibrarian83
Hey - yes I will definitely post "after" photos. I've been so amazed at the outpouring of good ideas and advice from all you Houzzers out there.

It will probably be a week or two before I post the final "after" pics, since the weather here has been holding me back.

Just wanted to show a little something in the meantime. : ) Please ignore my grumpy looking husband, he was sick that day but trying to lend me moral support anyways lol.
August 22, 2012 at 2:22pm   
alabamalibrarian83
Update! We have a door and it is.... Red. :-) I went with my original red and bought black fox trim, trimmed out all the windows in black fox, found a glider bench at biglots for $29, got a couple black planters I need to get flowers for.
I decided I did want a storm door after all, & we found an attractive wrought iron storm door that really ties into the other black ironwork around the courtyard. Thanks for the advice, yall!
August 25, 2012 at 5:51pm     
kennedytarheel
nice job! your front door is something you can look forward to going home to. and the red plays nicely against the black accents on the brick. don't forget to plant things that share that red color plus an accent plant color and enjoy!
August 25, 2012 at 5:59pm     
Zajac Interiors, LLC
I just read your first question and was scrolling down to the bottom to say "YES" to the red door, and there you go. Like Oprah says, "Your house should rise up to meet you!" (Or is is greet you?). Either way...it looks awesome. Love the black urn/flower pot to the left of the door. Bring in some more red with flowers, and think about some contrast with white as well. Nice!
August 25, 2012 at 6:03pm   
CliffandAshley Greene
I think the door looks amazing!!!
August 25, 2012 at 7:20pm   
daleandrachel
Was going to vote with the red... we recently repainted ours a very similar colour - against a tan brick, and it looks great - too late - but LOVE the results of your transformation!
August 25, 2012 at 7:58pm   
bwenk
Wow it does tie in with the rest of the wrought iron!
August 25, 2012 at 9:01pm   
Gina Leitz
It turned out great especially trimmed out in black. The black planters are a great compliment to the entire scheme. Bravo on a job well done! Who needs advice when you can pull something together like this.
August 25, 2012 at 9:51pm     
Beth Morrow
Looks fantastic!
August 25, 2012 at 10:10pm   
looks fantastic! Congratulations! Hadn't thought of the combo. The black fox does the job of framing it out and really making the red pop! Love the wrought Iron storm door!
August 26, 2012 at 7:43am   
cheries
WOW! It looks gorgeous! Nice contrast with black & red.
August 26, 2012 at 3:15pm   
yogapaws
It looks great! Good work & thanks for sharing!
August 26, 2012 at 5:32pm   
Susan Mills Design
Gorgeous!
August 26, 2012 at 6:41pm   
Fireplace & Granite Distributors
The red came out great!!
August 27, 2012 at 11:29am   
Fireplace & Granite Distributors
The red came out great!!
August 27, 2012 at 11:29am   
Awkward kitchen!
Hi all, It's me again with another design dilemma....
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
TV in the bedroom, bathroom or living room?
You might've seen our Big UK Houzz Report flying around...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...