Custom home office
kshaddix
August 17, 2012
I am in the process of building a custom home. We farm so I do all the bookeeping from a home office. Therefore, this new home will have a large home office surrounded by built-in cabinets with a peninsula. It will have three workspaces in addition to the pensinula. Therefore, there is a ton of countertop space. My delimma is what type of countertop to use. We are having granite in the kitchen, butler's pantry, all bathrooms, basement bar and built in bookspaces. This home office is such a large area that the expense of granite is hard to justify. I also don't want it to appear that we went "cheap" in there as it is where I will spend most of my time. Any suggestions on a countertop option?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Consider just wood countertops with a clear coat finish. You can use the same species as your cabinets or a different species with a tinted stain. Hope that helps.
Charmean Neithart
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 8:48AM
alwaysdesigning
I would also suggest wood, like an old desktop. A nice quartersawn oak is alway classic. The dings and nicks it acquires are "patina" and can always be refinished if needed. It will define your space too. Good luck
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 8:58AM
charleee
I agree with Charmean and alwaysdesigning, wood can look really nice. If you don't want wood, laminate countertops have come a long way and could work too. The only surface I wouldn't choose is tile because you may find yourself writing something only to have the pen go thru the paper when you get to the grout line.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 9:04AM
PRO
ct design studio
If this is a space you'll be spending a lot of time in, what surface do you think you'll enjoy day after day? I personally wouldn't want a granite desk top because of the coldness of it. No doubt I enjoy its beauty, but to sit and rest your arms on it all day, you feel it in your bones. Wood is always classic and won't look "cheap". Depending on how formal your home is, you could get creative and find some reclaimed barn wood to have cleaned up for tops. I once topped a piece of furniture with an antique piece of mirror. Perhaps you could find an architectural salvage yard in your area to see what's available to you.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 10:27AM
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
I like ct design studios idea of mirror , id thought of 1/2'' thick bevelled glass .
    Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 11:11AM
PRO
Lanie Brown, REALTOR®, Martha Turner Sotheby's
I like the idea of salvaging an old door, maybe just for the peninsula and doing the other counters in a wood which compliments the focal point. Put glass over it to give an even surface.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 10:25PM
PRO
Dytecture
Old doors are great and has lots of character, also an antique or distressed dining table is a good surface for working.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 8:09AM