towel warmer to heat bathroom
jaimeross
oru architect suggested that we get a towel warmer instead of those unsightly ceiling heaters to heat our 8.5' x 9' bathroom. the ceilings are 10' high and we'd have to drop it to accommodate a combo exhaust fan and heater...anyone have any experience with a towel warmer as heater?
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
No experience with it but I think it's a great idea. Your architect no doubt knows what he/she's talking about?!
0 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 7:35PM
PoshHaus
maybe if part of a hydronic heating system, but electric towel warmers simply do not put out that much heat. I would recommend a Panasonic Vent Fan with Heater for space heating a bathroom.
0 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 7:43PM
PoshHaus
You could also add a floor warming system for comfort.
0 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 7:44PM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Yes, absolutely, PoshHaus, a heated floor would be the ultimate luxury touch. Wish I'd said that!
0 Likes   August 17, 2012 at 8:36PM
John Whipple - By Any Design ltd.
There is a lot to working out the heating requirements of your bathroom. Start first by doing a heat loss calculation. There are many online models to use and this will let you know how much heat your room requires.

Then you can find a towel warmer large enough to produce that heat level. Floor heating (electric) most times is not allowed as a primary heat source so check into this carefully.

Often with larger rooms we incorporate a second heat source like a baseboard rad or kick heater under the vanity for colder Canadian nights.

Check the heat loss calculations carefully and use two separate programs to double check your results.

Your plumber or gas fitter can do this for you. It is best to have the supplier of the boiler double check all findings or have him/her do it in the first place.

JW
0 Likes   August 18, 2012 at 8:03AM
PoshHaus
I would need to see the towel warmer that would put off that much heat...
0 Likes   August 18, 2012 at 8:55PM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
PoshHaus, we don't know what country or what climate this person lives in. We don't know if there's central heating and this is supplemental heating, or if this is a very warm climate that needs a little bit of warmth that a towel warmer might give. It's always hard to give advice when we don't have all the facts. I think a towel warmer that circulates hot water would act like a radiator, but am only guessing :)
0 Likes   August 18, 2012 at 8:59PM
PoshHaus
Very true. The ones I am familiar with typically only use 150-600 watts and offer very little heat other than for warming towels, even in that size of a room.
1 Like   August 18, 2012 at 9:09PM
Amba Products
Custom towel warmers electric or hydronic can be custom made to measure by AMBA. The large ones can heat rooms...even bedrooms and liiving rooms. All BTUs and wattage ratings can be seen in the binder www.ambatowelwarmers.com/binder
2 Likes   September 28, 2012 at 12:38PM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Thank you for this link. I've bookmarked it for future reference. I like the styles and also the fact that it's available in Canada.
1 Like   September 28, 2012 at 2:29PM
Linda
Bathroom radiator/towel warmers are common in Europe Most of them are designed as a vertically oriented radiators with the crossbars designed to hang towels on. I would love to have one, but most of them are for hot water systems and I have steam heat
0 Likes   September 28, 2012 at 5:59PM
help me with the curtains and the rug
this is my family room it has 5 windows i would like...
How should I update this Kitchen??
The decor is from previous owners. What should be the...
Small loft not working
We just moved in and the furniture I had planned to...
Nice cherry kitchen cabinets but they are too dark! White paint??
We have lived in our house 11 years now and I've enjoyed...
Cambria Quartz
Has anyone experienced any problems with the Cambria...