Can you tell me how much space is between the countertop and the island?
sweettartconnie
August 18, 2012 in Photo Questions
I am remodeling our kitchen and we are actually moving the kitchen to another location in the house. I am trying to determine if we have room for am island.
Scott's Creative Home
36" would be a recommended minimum space. Try for 42" which gives a great working distance and passing distance for multiple cooks.
August 18, 2012 at 6:14am     
Carolina Design Associates, LLC
42" is the width between them
August 19, 2012 at 5:42am   
henryh
I agree... 36" is absolutely minimum and 42" - 48" is usually sufficient. Inorder to best determine the space for my clients, we first decide what appliances will be placed where, and what the base cabinets will be used for. Then we go through some "kitchen scenerios" that would be typical of their daily routine,(rushed mornings, entertaining and family dinners etc.) This would quickly show if the planned design and space will work for their lifestyle . EXAMPLE: If the stove and the sink/dishwasher were opposite each other, could the doors be opened at the same time... would there room for 2 people to work back to back...how many and how big are the cooks who might be in this space at any time, etc. This exercise will quickly and correctly determine if the work corridor will need to be made wider or if the 3 areas within the work triangle will need to be re-arranged to make the plan more functional and practical for them.
August 19, 2012 at 6:41am     
vyscha
36" to 42" are the ideal numbers, but I put an island in my last kitchen with only about 32" separating the island and counter tops - no problem! It looked great and nobody ever noticed this minimal exclusion of space. I did this because the house was old, with smallish rooms and I wanted an island.
August 19, 2012 at 11:09am   
Vikrant Sharma Homez
42'' .
August 19, 2012 at 11:35am   
B.Design
42" allows for plenty of room!
August 19, 2012 at 11:44am   
Can't decide on a backsplash with a busy granite
I have a busy granite ( Mokoro ) ( geriba ) Is a busy...
Wall is down...now how do I arrange and decorate area with only one wa
I just completed a kitchen remodel and removed a wall...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...
Are you a big fan of glamping or camping?
I'm not a camping fan at all. I can't stand not knowing...
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....