Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laloofah

Advice on window treatments that won't hide the windows!

Laloofah
11 years ago
We just built a new Craftsman style house (will close on it in four days), and our thoughts have turned to window treatments. Our windows are "valance" style (see photo), and we love the look of them and the wonderful light they let in. But the house is in town (so there are privacy issues), and though they are energy-efficient windows that supposedly block 90-something % of UV rays, we still want to filter hot sunlight, protect our hardwood floors, quilts, etc, and help provide additional insulation against our cold winters. I've been looking at window treatments that provide at least some of those benefits without hiding the windows when not deployed, and am thinking that roller shades, bottom-up blinds and/or lightweight drapes are my best bets. Any thoughts, experience, knowledge or opinions on this subject are welcome! :-)

Comments (111)

• giggles60
    11 years ago
    LOL laloofah! I wanted to see as much window as possible to see how much of the window is covered when the blinds are not being used.
  • Susan Mandel
    11 years ago
    Your blinds are lovely. They have a nice clean look to them. If you ever want to try something a little more traditionally arts and crafts, check out J.R. Burrows online. You can have their lace curtains made into cafe curtains (if that suits your style).
  • Laloofah
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Gotcha, Giggles! I'll take a photo for you tonight and post it by tomorrow morning! :-)

LadyCharlotte, thank you! I *think* I'm probably done with window treatments on this house (my bank account would definitely agree, lol), but I will definitely check out J.R. Burrows! Thanks for the tip!
  • Laloofah
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Okay, LadyCharlotte, I take it back. Maybe I'm NOT done with the window treatments for this house, since I'm drooling all over my keyboard looking at those gorgeous lace curtains at JR Burrows! I love several of them, but was instantly smitten with the Kelvin Rose design, and may just have to dress up a window or two with those this spring. Thanks again for sharing that wonderful web site!
  • Susan Mandel
    11 years ago
    Your welcome :) Enjoy!
  • Susan Mandel
    11 years ago
    And for the window hardware, while there are lot of craftsman style pieces available on the market, the most beautiful are reproduction pieces that come from Crown City Hardware in Pasadena. Also online. :)
  • PRO
    The Shade Store
    11 years ago
    Hello! Seems I'm way late to the discussion here. Some good advice given already. Just wanted to throw out a suggestion - solar shades. Our solar shades are made from the best components in the world. Custom made and assembled by hand. Filter light, maintain your view, and protect your floors and any works of art you have on the walls. Eco-friendly and energy efficient. I've attached some pics below. Learn more here: http://www.theshadestore.com/landing/roller-solar

Great view by the way!
  • Laloofah
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Giggles60, I took some photos last night of our living room windows, which are the same size as the ones in the nook (71" between where the headrail is mounted and the window sill). These are our tallest windows, so these will be the thickest stacked blinds we've got.

In the first photo, the shades are all deployed at different heights: the one on the left is stacked just below the window valance, the one in the middle is stacked at the very top, and the one on the right is stacked just above the awning window. You can see how much of the window the headrails take up on the left and right windows (the headrails measure 1.5" tall), and how much of the windows the blinds take up when they're closed (they're 2" tall when stacked). Since there's a little space between the headrail and the blinds when the blinds are fully open and stacked at the headrail, like in the middle window, all together they measure about 3 3/4" tall when open and stacked at the top of the window.

The second photo gives you a closeup of the middle window with the blinds fully open at the headrail, so you can compare how much of the window that takes up compared to the windows on either side with the headrails alone showing at the top of the windows. (Click on them for larger versions).

Hope this helps!
  • Laloofah
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Shade Store, it's too late for me, but your response might be perfectly timed for other readers, so thanks for sharing!

We did look at solar shades, but decided while they would have been great at our previous home on 10 acres in the mountains, here on a busy street in town they didn't afford enough privacy. The view out back has changed since I took that "before" photo - it's now landscaped and has a privacy fence (the only fence style the HOA permits in this part of our neighborhood), and while the view out back is delightful, it's slated for development in the next few years. So someday there will be houses directly behind ours, and we took that into consideration when choosing our window treatments.
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    Use Roman shades in a fabiric with a little texture. Have them installed at the ceiling line so that when they are up your whole beautiful window is exposed.
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    No suggestion from me since your project is done. I would have picked the exact same thing!!!!
  • Laloofah
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you, olldcan, that makes me feel even better about our decision! :-)
  • giggles60
    11 years ago
    Love it!!! Looks great! They don't detract from the beauty of the windows when not in use, yet fill your need for privacy when you want it. I hope your happy with these for years. Great choice!
  • Laloofah
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you so much, Giggles! I appreciate your enthusiastic and complimentary support! :-) I think we'll be really pleased with our choice; we are so far! (Now I just hope bugs don't poop on them! LOL)
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Just a note on solar shades - Solar Shades may block heat and sun from entering the home, but are not a big efficiency bonus on a cold day. We manufacture roller shades here at our facility. They are available in limitless fabric options, some have a silver backing to reflect the sun and cut solar gain. From a functional and visual standpoint - the choice you made is much better for your space. Roller shades also always have a light gap on either side (because the brackets are at the ends of the shade), so you can't get that tight frame to frame fit that the honeycomb and pleated shades offer and they don't have that top down bottom up function that provides privacy with a view as well. Just a thought.
  • drvonnie
    10 years ago
    We're moving into a brand new house very soon. We've been told by one decorator to wait at least 2 months before putting in any window treatments to let the house settle. Is there anything to this?
  • Laloofah
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @drvonnie - I've never heard that, and if our house (or the advice of our builder) are any indication, it takes at least a year for a new house to finish settling! Ours was completed in August and it still make the most alarming popping and cracking noises! We actually did wait a month or two before having our window treatments installed, but that was just a time/budget factor.
  • ndfarmerswife70
    10 years ago
    We just installed a 6' x 9' picture window facing south. We have a beautiful countryside view, with no neighbors, but live in ND, so need something for the summer sun, and winter cold when the sun isn't out. We had great passive solar in both the old window, and the new bay window in the dining room, so hope to have even more now with this huge window. Looked, and looked at drapes, shades, etc., but will sure go on some of the websites you suggested to see if we can find something for our window too. Also have a smaller window in the other end of the same room. Thought about vertical blinds make with fabric, and some soft plastic slats? We need something we can either full up completely of the windows during the day, or at least pull to the sides off the trim? Your house sounds beautiful, ours is a 1968 ranch we put up on a daylight basement which gives it a much different look now.
  • anitajoyce
    10 years ago
    How about 2 inch plantation type blinds.
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    10 years ago
    Depending on your decor, you might want to consider stationary panels to frame the window and soften the wall then add shades to the window to open and close as needed. The attached photos does not show shades but hopefully it gives an idea for what you can do with a show window. Best of luck!
    cornice-window-treatment2.jpg · More Info
  • PRO
    Meritage Homes
    10 years ago
    Perhaps something like this? This is one of our homes in Phoenix, AZ. Hope that helps you!
  • nlclift
    10 years ago
    Can I mix TD/BU cellular shades with solar shades in the same room? I need the privacy on one side of my family room and on the other side I have three 8' patio door and windows. Don't know if I love the thought of putting 81 inches of cells on my patio door and windows. Can I put cellular on street facing windows and solar shades on patio door? Or would that look strange? Also my kitchen is in same area which has window seat that needs bottom of 3 windows covered most of the time and 3 more windows over sink which I would like to block out afternoon sun. Help!!
  • PRO
    The Shade Store
    10 years ago
    Thanks for reaching out. Great question. This really depends on how close the two sets of window are in relation to each other. Typically we see our customers treating windows with two different types of product by either using a layered approach or complimenting each other using different product categories (i.e. shade + drape or vertical system rather than two different types of shades) . Please feel free to send us photos of the room so we can get a better understanding of the layout and offer some suggestions that will fit your needs. We also offer a free rendering service to help you visualize what the product(s) will look like hanging in your windows. You can reach us at design@theshadestore.com or 800.754.1455.
  • PRO
    Solar-screen-shades.com
    10 years ago
    The new style Vision Shades would work really well here. You can control light and privacy any where on the window. Especially nice on your style windows where you open the window for air at the bottom. You can see them at http://www.solarscreenshade.com
  • ndfarmerswife70
    10 years ago
    We bought a single cell cellular shade for our new 6' x 9' south facing window. The first one came damaged by the shipper, now waiting for the replacement. Will see how it looks, and works for us, then will let you all know. I got the rods for my bay window, now not sure what I am going to do with that. Went over all the suggestions, so we will see????? I still have the brackets up for the Pricilla, could just put it back up for the time being. Right now just finished sanding, trying to decide do I want to paint it all white, stain it all, or paint the inside white, and stain the outside trim. Mind boggling...................The big window is white, and I stained the outside trim on it.
  • Laloofah
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Solaris, we've been in our home nearly 2 years now, so our window-covering needs have been met for a while now - with the exception of the transom window over our west-facing front door. At certain times of the year - mainly summer - the sunlight that pours through it is intense! I have to take things off the hallway wall to keep them from fading but the heat is another issue. We have a covered front porch, but there are still a few hours when the sun is below the porch roofline but above the horizon. I'd been trying to come up with a solution and you just reminded me of the perfect one. We had film on our storm door at our last house, and it worked great for protecting the front door from intense afternoon sun and offered privacy as well as cooler light during the day when we wanted to open our front door. So thanks for that!

Also, do you know if window film will work on the windows/hatches of a boat in a marine environment?
  • PRO
    SOLARIS
    9 years ago
    Yes, window film can work in marine applications. Not our specialty in the Midwest but it will definitely help for all of the same reasons.

Get some film on those transoms!
    Laloofah thanked SOLARIS
  • Laloofah
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks! We'll definitely get some applied to our front door transom soon. The boat will have to wait till the next chapter of our lives (when we hope to swap home ownership with the full-time cruising life, at least for a while - maybe by then there will be a web site called "Boatzz!") :-) But it's great to know that window film would work for that, too! Thank you so much!
  • ndfarmerswife70
    9 years ago
    We got the cellular shades up on our 6' x 9' new picture window, and the smaller window on the other side of the living room. Also removed all the Pricilla's, and put up lace panels. On the large window just have lace valances. Very pleased with how it all turned out. The bay window just put up the same matching lace panels, and tied them back. I still have to stain the bay window now that it is all finished. Thank for all the suggestions from my Houzz friends.
  • PRO
    Pleotint LLC
    9 years ago
    Hi, Laloofah although it sounds like you may have already found a solution for your windows it sounds like you would be a great candidate for our suntuitive self tinting windows. Our windows are some of the most energy efficient on the market and allow you to preserve your view while reducing the need for blinds/shades. Our suntuitive inter-layer tints from the heat of the sun so its tinted when you need it and clear when you don't! Check us out at www.pleotint.com
  • Laloofah
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    You're right, it's too late for this house but great to know for the future (and for other readers who are still in the market for windows!) I will bookmark your web site for future reference, thanks!
  • PRO
    Opal Enterprises, Inc.
    8 years ago

I'm a big fan of Roman Blinds. They look elegant and will have the features you're looking for. Beautiful windows by the way! :-)

• pcmom1
    8 years ago

If privacy is only important to you at night, then Roman blinds would work. No worries then about blocking your sunlight!

Or, if you like woven woods, you can get an independently operated privacy liner to bring down at nighttime.

• mindshift
    8 years ago

Craftsman style homes focus on the woodwork. It seems a shame to cover up these windows you love with blinds, shades and/or curtains. While some dismissed window film as unneeded or damaging to the windows, I disagree. There are static cling window films that you can install, and even remove later and install elsewhere if it suits. They are available in frosted or etched designs that allow light in while preventing interior scenes from being discernible. Here are 1st and 2nd sites, but do a search for others. You can also find some of these at local stores.

Below is your photo with three types of window film: (left to right) frosted, "glacier" embossed, and "rippled" embossed. I cannot guarantee that the actual film would look exactly like my rendition, but no one will be able to see through them. While I only changed the middle windows I would cover the base windows also and leave the top 3-light windows open as no one is likely to see in through those.

• quasiexpert
    8 years ago

It's not worth voiding the warranty on the window to put a film on it. Check with your manufacturer first!

• PRO
    SOLARIS
    8 years ago

Quasiexpert, most professionally installed window films come with a warranty from the window film manufacturer that will back up the warranty from the window manufacturer if they decide to void the warranty. Our experience is that most homeowners do not have a warranty on the windows unless they built the home or are the original owners. The vast majority of window warranties are not transferable to new homeowners which takes many warranties off the table.

Always know what you are buying and get the warranties in writing, preferably from the manufacturer and not just the local company.

• quasiexpert
    8 years ago

That could be. The vast majority of windows I deal with have a minimum of 20 years of glass warranty and are fully transferable. My personal house has windows with a lifetime warranty for me, and 20 years for any subsequent owner.
    I would personally never put an aftermarket tint on a new window, because all manufacturers I work with have factory tinting options that are a small upcharge and don't effect any warranties. But if the aftermarket film manufacturer will cover any problems with the windows, cheers to them.

• PRO
    SOLARIS
    8 years ago

The factory glass tinting options do not offer the same type of protection from UV and energy performance upgrades that aftermarket film can offer. Window film can will improve the performance of any glass so often times the proper combination of glass and film will beat the performance of a high-end window at a lower price with no loss of warranty.

If you have an unlimited budget you can get some fantastic triple pane windows made to your performance needs. For most regular folk, window film offers the potential for an affordable upgrade, particularly when we look at the payback time required for window replacement.

• quasiexpert
    8 years ago

I don't mean this as an insult, but that sounds like the talk of a tint salesman-so can you give some hard numbers to back that up? Let's say I purchase an Andersen or Marvin window with their standard LowE glass, and have aftermarket film applied. Do you have specs of what I can expect as far as performance goes? I have the specs of what their higher lines of glass can do, and would be interested to see how they compare cost & energy-wise?

• Catherine Kelly
    8 years ago

Laloofah, I have enjoyed reading all of the great ideas here but wonder if you could share the inside mount measurements of your window frames. I have 2 inner windows flanked by 2 outer casement windows and the mounting space is inconsistent between the inner/outer. Do the cellular shades require more than 1" of depth to install? Wondering if Roman Shades would be similar. With screens on the casement windows I have only 3/4" to mount hardware. Outside mount may be all I can do but it will certainly hide some beautiful detailing on the moulding...sigh.

Laloofah thanked Catherine Kelly
  • PRO
    SOLARIS
    8 years ago

Quasiexpert, Sorry it took me a while to get back I was travelling. I can provide specs for any window film on a variety of glass types. We often do this type of comparison for clients that are considering replacement windows. As an example I will look at 3 different types of common glass with and without our Enerlogic Low-E window film applied. Not sure if you can see the numbers in the graphic below but here are the highlights:

Clear Insulated glass (IGU) with Enerlogic Low-E film applied vs. "Typical" Low-E window - Summer Heat Gain reduction reduced 55%, UV Rejection increased 47% and Winter Heat Loss Reduction (keeping heat in your home) increased 3%.

Clear Insulated glass (IGU) with Enerlogic Low-E film applied vs. "High Performance" Low-E2 window - Summer Heat Gain reduction reduced 29%, UV Rejection increased 15%. Winter Heat Loss Reduction is 13% better on the Low-E2 window vs. the clear IGU with film.

Adding film to better performing glass still improves performance but typically to a lesser extent (because the base window is performing better. Window film makes all windows perform better and provides the best protection from fading.

We are currently gathering data from clients to compare some of these values with the different real-world prices for window/glass replacement and film installation which we plan on sharing soon.

If you have specific questions about window/film performance we are always happy to analyze, educate and help recommend the best option for your money, even if it isn't window film.

Lastly, we spend a lot of our time educating and informing consumers. Houzz is a great forum for open discussion and learning. We have never sold any window film to anyone we have interacted with on Houzz (although we would love to!) We are experts in our field running an ethical, customer focused business and just want you to be able to make informed decisions before spending your hard earned money. Please let us know if we can help in any way.

Kevin Koval - Owner

www.solarisfilm.com

• quasiexpert
    8 years ago

I guess it depends on what you start with. If you're installing it on an older window, particularly single-pane, I could see the point of adding a film. But I don't believe I'm by any means sold on putting it on a new window.

I pulled up Andersen's numbers for a casement window. They use whole unit U-Factors in their ratings, so the glass U-Factor is actually better than what they claim in the ratings, but here are their numbers on the two main double pane glass units they use...

Standard LowE4 glass-UF .29, SHGC .31, Visible Light Transmittance .54, and UV blocking 84%.

LowE4 SmartSun with HeatLock-UF.24, SHGC.21, VLT .47, and UV blocking 95%

Again, on an existing single pane product, I believe there's still a market for films though.

• PRO
    SOLARIS
    8 years ago

You have to consider budget and what you want to achieve in the home. The SmartSun windows are great. I am in a lot of high-end, million+ dollar homes and have yet to see these windows get specified. The reality is most windows are not anywhere near that level of performance and the cost is prohibitive in a lot of cases to upgrade to the top line windows. This is where window film comes into play as an affordable improvement to any window.

The performance gains on a single pane window are huge. On a window like the SmartSun they would be much smaller. On a mid range window adding window film can get you top line performance at a much lower cost.

If money is no object they are producing some great triple and quad pane products in Europe with incredible performance numbers. It is just not realistic to install that type of window in every home.

It's Ok if you don't want window film on your home for whatever reason BUT it is a great option for many homeowners to boost performance of their windows and not something that should be overlooked.

Cheers!

• quasiexpert
    8 years ago

You're right, and we really aren't disagreeing overall. But windows like Andersen's SmSun and other manufacturer's equivalents SHOULD be spec'd more often. It comes down to laziness on the part of the architect, contractor, and homeowner. So much time is spent getting the bathroom tile JUST right, the draperies JUST the right material & sheen, the paint JUST the right hue-when all of those things are very likely to be changed in 10 years. But something like a window, which the homeowner fully expect to last their lifetime-eh, whatever is standard or saves enough money to buy that TV & couch they're eyeing. Then when the service guy is out 5 years in and they're complaining that the windows aren't performing like the latest & greatest from Europe, they regret not paying a little extra on what really mattered. The couch is ripped up, the TV is long since outdated, the drapes and tile are long gone, and the house is fully repainted. By the way, SmartSun glass represents about a 3-4% premium over standard LowE with Andersen, so that $100k in Windows is now $104k with substantially better performance.

But, this is where a business like yours fills in the gap and gives better performance to those windows!

• PRO
    Blindsgalore
    7 years ago

Your windows are looking great so far, and will look even better when you get the right treatments set up.
    I would go with Roller shades for this area. our roller shades are made with fabrics that range from sheer to blackout, depending on how much privacy and light control you need - semi-opaque fabrics offer a good combination of both.
    Check out our site for my inspiration and ideas: http://www.blindsgalore.com/roller-shades.

Best of luck,

Blindsgalore team.

• pilatesmom3
    7 years ago

Four years later...how are the Budget Blinds holding up? Tons of great info in this link! Thanks!

• Laloofah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@ Catherine Kelly and @ pilatesmom - apologies for being 2 years tardy with a reply to you both! My husband ended up retiring a bit earlier than we'd planned & we sold our house (beautiful windows, blinds, & all) and moved to the PNW in 2015. So things were (are) hectic, & of course I couldn't have measured anything on those windows for you, Catherine, but no doubt you were able to get an answer to your dilemma from a shade manufacturer or someone with expertise by now. And pilatesmom3, the shades all held up quite well - though we only lived there 3 years, they got a lot of daily use. We did have a minor issue or two with a couple of them but Budget Blinds came right out and took care of them, covered by warranty. So no complaints.

We bought a bit of a fixer upper out here in the Puget Sound area with a whole new set of joys & challenges that come with an existing, aging house and very different climate and setting - the fun just never ends. :-) Most of our windows here don't need window treatments as we have lots of shade, privacy, & milder temps, but the ones that already had them had the good old top down-bottom up pleated shades. Plantation shutters are very popular in our neighborhood too, so as we remodel and update this place, I'm also considering those.

• pilatesmom3
    6 years ago

Thank you very much for the follow-up. It sounds like you are enjoying the new "chapters" in your life! Have fun with the new house!

• dplumeri
    3 years ago

I wouldn't cover them at all ! You have a lot of land so privacy is not an issue. The windows are lovely by themselves. If you feel that it looks to stark then put a long panel on either side and leave them open. All the best in your new home.