Please help with new shutter & front door color
hollywould
I'm thinking of updating my front door and shutter color and would love to have your input. The current color is Rock Shell by Porter Paint, it's a charcoal gray with some brown and green in it. I will be updating the lanterns on the front to much larger ones. I also plan to cut the tree back a little that it covering the front of the house. Thanks so much for any advice you have!
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Hi Holly,What colour preferences do you have ? one more thing can you get rid of that tree , its Blocking the view , my four year old just said its as beautiful as the Taj Mahal.
August 21, 2012 at 11:03AM     
hollywould
Aww, thank you so much! We bought this home about a year ago and the front doors were stained but in rough condition so the painter recommended painting them. I have not been happy with them since we painted them, I didn't realize how greenish brown the shutters were until we painted the doors. I'm thinking more of a true dark charcoal gray or black. Friends I have asked seem to like the current color. I agree the tree definitely needs to be cut way back or eliminated.
August 21, 2012 at 11:09AM   
ct design studio
What about a glossy charleston green which is green so dark it almost looks black. It would as classic as the house and your red bushes would pop more with something glossy.

August 21, 2012 at 11:42AM     
Rosie Tighe
I was thinking a dark hunter green or a deep glossy blue for the same reasons as above.
August 21, 2012 at 3:13PM     
Intelligent Design
We'd go with a Glossy Red~welcoming, vibrant and goes with the red bushes~good luck!
August 21, 2012 at 3:14PM     
thorne32359
I'd go red/ or more salmon to match the azalea bloom color... nothing like tying things together. Or, the green on the opposite of the color wheel of the azalea for the complement color. ?
August 21, 2012 at 3:15PM     
thorne32359
and that white should be more light beige or off white
August 21, 2012 at 3:17PM     
Jill Zwick
Red door - black shutters
August 21, 2012 at 3:17PM     
pgsoares
Try a dark orange just turning into red-why not?
August 21, 2012 at 3:17PM     
KL InIdaho
I am leaning toward a vibrant dark red to coordinate with the red shrubbery. I think it would pop and look very thoughtful to mix-match with the yard. Red always looks festive and cheerful as well.
August 21, 2012 at 3:17PM     
Arranged To Sell, LLC
I would love to see a burgundy red color for the shutters and front door.
August 21, 2012 at 3:18PM     
Ann Alderson
Bring the color of the red bushes up onto your front door (a nice satin finish, gloss is too shiny and reveals every imperfection). Paint the shutters black. Get large black lanterns flanking the door to complete the look. Please don't kill the tree. Leave it be unless you can relocate it without killing it. Good luck!
August 21, 2012 at 3:19PM     
mahaffcm
I like the idea of red as well. Your front facade is neutral, so why not go with a front door that stands out?
August 21, 2012 at 3:19PM     
zenhome
Black shutters and a dark green door would be nice. Your home is stunning and has such great curb appeal.
August 21, 2012 at 3:19PM     
mahaffcm
Fine Paints of Europe, Tulip Red 1001
August 21, 2012 at 3:20PM     
Gayle Beck
I like Glossy black (maybe with a plum base) ... glossy dark Aubergine
August 21, 2012 at 3:21PM     
Hannah's House
This house would look so chic painted all white. And I think removing the shutters would look great! I'd paint the front doors black. You can't go wrong with black and white. OR the trim above each window would also look great painted a contrasting color like a gray or brown!
August 21, 2012 at 3:21PM     
Becky Drury
I think it's beautiful already & it's hard to tell what the color actually is, but I would try to match the roof color for the shutters and door. It has a real traditional look and if you try to go bright on the door it doesn't work (my opinion). I would like white birch trees planted in the front green spot and eliminate the tree by the house.
August 21, 2012 at 3:26PM     
nanett1
First of all I would paint the white. It is too stark. Maybe a light taupe/beige shade and then paint the shutters a deep brown/black colour. Then I would go with a dark glossy red on the door.
August 21, 2012 at 3:29PM     
Colorado Pro Painting
Tricorn Black from Sherwin Williams in a Gloss finish. Keep it simple and stately. If you try to use a red or green it will end up clashing with the brick tones and shrubs.
August 21, 2012 at 3:33PM     
hollywould
The front white part is stucco, can that be painted?
August 21, 2012 at 3:33PM   
Ann Alderson
The rule of thumb for exterior color palettes is no more than three colors. White, black and red is timeless and classic. Don't even think about matching the shutters to the roof!
August 21, 2012 at 3:36PM     
Colorado Pro Painting
I almost forgot, go to Sherwin William's web site and upload your photo to their "Color Visualizer." It is very easy to see what your home will look like with any accent color that you are thinking about. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/try-on-colors/color-visualizer/
August 21, 2012 at 3:38PM     
Wostbrock Home
My first thought would be to paint them black - would be gorgeous. I do like ct design studio's comment about the dark green almost black as well. Both classic and elegant.
August 21, 2012 at 3:40PM     
houssaon
You do have a lovely Georgian style home.

In this example, that I go back to time and time again, the shutters appear to be black.

I am particularly drawn to the trim color. In an answer to another query, the architect, Christopher A Rose AIA, ASID, stated that the trim color is "Sherwin Williams SW6148 Wool Skein." I think would be great on your house instead of the bright white.

Although you can’t see the door in this photo, it is a stained wood, perhaps mahogany.

Have you thought of having the door dipped or striped to remove all of the paint and restore the original wood stain? If the door is mahogany or some other good hardwood it could be spectacular. My neighbor restored her front door from the 1930s back to a wood stain and it is gorgeous. It can be well worth the effort to have a nice welcome to the home.
August 21, 2012 at 3:49PM     
Colorado Pro Painting
You can paint the stucco. I wouldn't recommend it though. Maybe down the road a bit when it starts getting stains and patches that need to be fixed. Once you start painting it you will always have to paint it. Even when it starts to look old consider trying to pressure wash it clean before you consider painting it. The beauty of stucco is that it is pretty maintenance free unless you paint it.
August 21, 2012 at 3:51PM     
olderthebetter
All bricks are not created equal, so be sure the color you choose complements the brick you have and doesn't compete with it. That's especially true if you choose red. That may seem like a "duh" response, but a red that is too orange could draw attention away from all the other wonderful features. You might also consider painting the window trim a few shades deeper than the white. This will make those beautiful windows really stand out! You may also use that deeper shade to highlight the relief at the gable.
August 21, 2012 at 3:59PM     
Grace~Full Interiors
A beautifully deep shade of Eggplant (try Velvet Cloak by Ben Moore) on the door, glossy black on the shutters - and trim the tree down quite a bit (or remove it completely)...your home is stunning!
August 21, 2012 at 4:04PM     
Interiors by Mj
Red is a little predictable I think, and if you don't get the shade just right it could clash a bit. I'd paint the door yellow like Fields of Gold by Ben Moore or French Quarter Gold by Ben Moore. Then do the shutters navy like North Sea by Ben Moore or Polo Blue by Ben Moore. A nice dark grey for the shutters would also be quite striking. Overcoat by Ben Moore (can you tell I like that paint?) Post pic's with what you chose!
August 21, 2012 at 4:05PM     
hollywould
@ houssaon - That is a gorgeous home! Love that trim color as well, very elegant and traditional. I have thought about replacing my doors with some gorgeous beveled leaded glass and mohagany doors but wasn't sure if that style would look good with the house. Thanks for sharing!

@ Colorado Pro Painting - Thanks for your input, I appreciate your professional opinion! I agree about the stucco, I would love to paint it a little bit darker, like the picture houssan shared but am afraid of the maintenance.

Thank you all for your great ideas!
August 21, 2012 at 4:07PM   
valchilcott
Black door - black shutters -- oil base paint if you can. Yes the tree needs to go! You do not need to do much to this house make it stunning!
August 21, 2012 at 4:22PM     
Susan Wann
Light ocher on the house, darkish dutch blue on the shutters and a deep brown front door.
August 21, 2012 at 4:34PM     
crazylife
A deep marine blue (almost navy) on the shutters and door, against the brick and white of your house would be very fresh and classic. If your shutters don't need to be painted, you could stay with the charcoal color and just paint the door a burgundy or wine color. If you wish to paint the shutters, I'd choose black. I'd stay away from the brighter red shades, your house calls for something more understated to me.
August 21, 2012 at 5:18PM     
karen kenny
Love the house ,and I would go black:)
August 21, 2012 at 5:46PM     
mlbradshaw
I think the shutters should be painted black and the front door painted white and change to the fancy cut glass, full door and match the windows on each side of the door with the same fancy cut glass.
August 21, 2012 at 7:21PM     
Spaces...by Marina
Beautiful home, but agree with all that said black glossy shutters. And, is it my imagination, or are the shutters more slim than is typical (look at the neighbour's house). I also like the idea of a rich red door. And yes, ditch the tree.
Please post pics when you finish!
August 21, 2012 at 7:58PM     
charlenez16
I love the idea of a black door and shutters...
August 21, 2012 at 8:05PM     
hollywould
@Spaces...by Marina - I'm not sure, I always thought the windows at the top looked a little too small, but maybe it's the shutters. I'll check that out, they may need to be replaced.
August 21, 2012 at 8:10PM     
bwenk
I think the current color is good. How about taking that tree away completely
August 21, 2012 at 8:42PM     
thunder1
I think blue shutters and door would light the place up!.
August 21, 2012 at 9:02PM     
naomifrash
A gold/golden coloured front door would look amazing with some matching lanterns and shutters. The gold colour on your shutters would give your windows the appearance of being larger, balancing them out with the lower larger ones. Benjamin Moore Boardwalk, Harmony and Arizona Tan are some gold exterior colours that are popular at the moment. A colour that matches or is similar to the neighbors house colour is not what you are after, think a darker, deeper, gold. The image isn't exact, but along those lines.
August 21, 2012 at 9:15PM     
Gayle Beck
I like Grace's suggestion. I think BM-Velvet Cloak is an awesome color!
August 21, 2012 at 9:51PM   
dfaris
Paint the white black and the door and shutters gold. Black is back. If you think gold too ostentatious go with a platinum or silver... A little more subtle yet still bold. There are many softwares that will allow you to change the colors in the actual photo to try all of these out. Make a statement but stay away from red and green unless you are 75. And yes kill the tree and perhaps try some small stonework or water feature in the circle up front.
August 22, 2012 at 5:50AM   
dfaris
The bushes are on the wrong side of the circle too- you lose the stairs and landscaping up front. I would replant on the front side and space then out- use some cocoa mulch to space them out-
August 22, 2012 at 5:59AM   
Carol Kessler
Black shutters are classic so I don't think you can go wrong there. I am not a fan of black doors but it works. I like a front door with a nice wood stain, or else cranberry red adds color and is classic. Good luck!
August 22, 2012 at 6:08AM   
Carol Kessler
August 22, 2012 at 6:08AM   
Darla
I agree with the cranberry door and black shutters would just make it pop and if you could paint the arches in black it would really stand out. I attached a photoshop..
August 22, 2012 at 6:24AM     
alwaysdesigning
Just my opinion but I think Navy is the new Black. A color I have seen that I like is Polo Blue by Benjamin Moore
The walls pictured are in Polo Blue
August 22, 2012 at 6:34AM   
jeweli
I wouldn't have thought of it, but I like the marine blue suggestion. Classy, yet a little twist on the traditional black. It would make the brick look a little orange than red, though, so something to consider.
August 22, 2012 at 8:20AM   
please some ideas for new shutter and front door color
New roof will be Timberline- Weathered wood thanks!...
Need help picking a new color for shutters and front door
I am looking for suggestions on a new color for my...
Help with front door, shutters & garage door colors please
We are doing a whole house remodel. Painting the brick...
Help with shutter and front door color please
We need to repaint our trim color on our home. I wanted...
Painting Woodwork
We live in the woods in Northern VA. My question...
Help with rock!
Any suggestions for rock along the bottom of house...
"home project coming up, need to find builders"
I have a great project coming up. My house has some...
Dining room redo help!
My husband and I are currently working on redoing our...