Living Room Input needed!
cyco
hi,
we've bought a '60s style bungalow and it was last renovated in the '80s. Would love some input re the Living Room - we're moving in Oct 1st hopefully and plan to do the floors and painting first. I would like to replace the shutters in the living room with something softer - privacy isn't an issue in this room. the dining room (also pictured) is staying the same, other than the floors, and we're keeping that vibe to a degree throughout the house, but with a little more classic decor, less retro.
we'd like to do dark floors, but are open to options.
please let me know what you think of paint, window treatments and flooring in the living room! thank you!
yvonne01950
Dark wood floors sound beautiful in this light and airy space. rich panel drapes to frame the windows maybe sheers. Is this furniture staying? The walls seem stark white, a warm white or a warm beige noting dark on the walls but the rooms seem so cold. The ruffles on the dining room curtains are killing me. Again rich color silk panels maybe chocolate to go with dark wood floors. Have fun!!
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 3:09PM
stellyana
your place is beautiful, take some colours from the picture above the sofa for the drapes, rug and wall paint (black/brown, gold, light green)
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 3:10PM

I love your floors!
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 3:17PM
Wendy O'Brien Interior Planning & Design
Would be fun to create a visual interest to the room and paint the ceiling and both end walls in a dark grey and faux the beam similar to the armoire finish. Add old gold fretwork chandelier, replace the landscape (?) artwork with something softer and more abstract (using colors of pillows as your inspiration), have custom roman shades made in a dark grey textural fabric and finish it off with a traditional silk area rug (if the budget allows). www.wendyobrien.com
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 3:18PM
cyco
thank you all! nothing is staying - they're photos from the current owner. walls are an odd grey colour, very cold, i agree. dining room curtains are also a Definite tear down.
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 3:20PM
Nicole Peery
Since we do know you want dark wood floors (great idea btw), I would do roman shades in cream or white, but have a wide trim of dark brown fabric around them...can be solid or with a small print for interest. Then, in the center of the shades, monogram them to have the classic traditional vibe. The rooms are spacious. I would warm them up in a unique shade of beige...one that might have a hint of green in it to work with the landscape outside. Warm golds, dark browns and creams would work well to make the spacious room more inviting and cozy. Lastly, I would put crown molding in the dining room.
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 3:38PM
roomi
I think nobody is going to sit in those two chairs with the cupboard in the middle unless they hate each other and there is nowhere else. Create two seating areas, one around the fire and one around the view end of the room and put the cupboard on the wall it is facing not far into the room as a curio cabinet so you come into the room, Look at an interesting collection on your way in and then choose where you sit. A couple of lovely rugs would be nice. The floors look a bit cold.
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 3:59PM
Lori DelSesto
Wall covering and rug!
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 4:14PM
pooger12
I like the beams like they are. I would go with a dark shade, keep something neutral like the couch and add some throw pillows and a rug, dark floors and paint a light shade of blue.
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 7:19PM
Natalie
Hi-since all the furniture, etc. in the photos is not yours, could you tell us what your design style is and what colors you like? The house is lovely, by the way.
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 7:26PM
cyn222
What is your style? Modern, cottage, etc. It helps others give ideas and submit pics for you. Good luck!
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 7:45PM
Roots and Rafters
One thing I would consider is to paint the walls a different color than the ceiling. Right now it looks a little bit like a bowling alley -- the monochromatic paint job really emphasizes the size and coldness of the room, and gives nowhere for the eye to rest. The colors needn't even be all that different; just something to warm up the rooms a bit and bring them down to human scale.

Also consider doing something to the ceilings to add some texture and interest. Something like the attached would be gorgeous. (This needn't be expensive -- there are a lot of tutorials online about getting the beamed ceiling look using 2x4s.) The beams could then be the same color as the floor to tie the look together.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 7:48PM
cyco
Excellent ideas, thank you all! we're looking at a contemporary style, not rustic or modern - definitely want to paint to warm up the room, and dark flooring as well. I like beige, neutral tones with colour in the accents - pillows, rugs, decor, etc. LOve the look of the above room with the beams too, thank you.
    Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 7:35AM
cyco
to give an idea of the style i'm going for, the attached are in my idea book from Houzz.
    Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 8:02AM
uhoh_busted
I'm assuming that furniture is previous owner (you haven't moved in yet) How long is that living room? It looks like you could float some furniture and turn it into two spaces. Are those all windows at the end, or is there a sliding or french door to the outside? Above the windows, is that a faux shutter look or is there actual window glass behind?

I would consider graphic wallpaper or textural paint element on the fireplace wall that compliments the fireplace surround. I really like the contrasting beam treatment suggested. Just the contrast will warm up that space considerably.

You may want to use two large area rugs in darker tones that work with your furniture...if your furniture is in beige neutrals, you might even want to go with color in the area rugs, that relates to what else you are doing in the surrounding rooms. Once you've got your rugs, you can start to look at window treatments, which should probably be light an airy, but could be slightly darker than the walls.
    Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 8:14AM
andreayoungc
a cappachino color on the walls - or as I say coffee with lots of cream in it color and and a brown almost black expresso like on the floors. Then you could add in bits of color with candles, pillows and such. Cahampagne curtains or shades would be nice.
    Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 8:22AM
Making Tweaks to Family Room - Need Input Please!
I'm looking to finish off this space. The corner with...
petersenico
Looking for input on kitchen color palette to compliment sage green living room.
PLEASE HELP! Need kitchen color(s) to go with sage...
MJ Thompson
Need Light Fixture Ideas & Input
Hi, there! We recently bought new dining room furniture...
susandmark
Baby pool fence hell!!! Need input
I am looking for an alternative to a baby fence. I...
sgurfein
Need input on dark crown molding and mantel
Our house has lots of dark woodwork through out the...
sw78
Using Old Silos for New House
Planning to use these silos as part of our new home....
Saratoga Farmstead
My Great Room always looks like "autumn"
I live in Tucson and my floors are traditional ranch...
DianeE.
Can mix cream and white?
We have a small condo with dining room and living room...
dawnk721
Hate my entryway slate floor
Is there a way to transform the look without actually...
svivas
do they cut 12 foot slabs of granite or do i HAVE to have a seam?
I have my heart set on an exotic granite, but I am...
renovationkit2015