All I can think about is getting rid of these light fixtures...
verityk
I really want to get an industrial-ish pendant light for over the sink - my dilemma is the flush light and the sink light are only about 4 feet apart. Do I put in two identical pendants, would I be better off replacing the flush light with another flush light, and if so, does it need to "match" the pendant over the sink? This is keeping me up nights! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (Also, I've never replaced light fixtures before - is it as easy as everyone says?)
Yes, they should match at least in their finish and similar style. I've done numerous DIY light replacement fixtures and it's quite simple given you are not changing any wires or electrical boxes.

August 22, 2012 at 8:53pm     
fife2
I have the PERFECT fix for you! Go on line and check out Renovation Hardware, Seattle, Washington. The yproduce original period reproduction fixtures of great detail and authentication. They also make matching hardware - all in a variety of finishes. I have a very old house - and I am GREAT fan of original finds - at flea markets, antique malls, etc. This usually adds a lot of interest. Any fixture you find and love can be repurposed, restyled, and fitted into any area of your home.
August 22, 2012 at 10:37pm   
fife2
Just read your whole paragraph (sorry) Renovation Hardware specializes in Industrial Style lighting for ALL uses. A really GREAT resource.
August 22, 2012 at 10:39pm   
Shannon Ggem ASID
I recommend a flush or semi flush where the flush mount fixture is, and in my opinion, it's style must reference the style of the pendant you are keeping (they do not currently reference each other. I would refer to the pendant above your sink as craftsman).
August 22, 2012 at 11:03pm   
Manon Floreat
Recessed canned lighting would be ideal for illumination and tasking, but that involves electricians which your budget may not allow. So, I'll echo Shannon's recommendation of the flush/semi-flush and pendant in similar styles.

And, yes - it really is easy to switch out lights. Just make sure the power is off. Actually, you just have to turn the light switch off, but that makes me nervous so I always turn the power off at the breaker.
August 22, 2012 at 11:13pm   
fife2
Dear Manon - that makes me nervous too! I always go to the breaker. Yes, canned lighting and task lighting is nice - but this may not be in the budget right now - and can be overwhelming if she just wants to replace the fixtures.
August 23, 2012 at 12:43am   
Ha! You have a "boob" light! They're all over my house too. I think as long as your metals match, two slightly different styles will work. And possibly look better due to added interest.
August 23, 2012 at 4:04am   
michigammemom
Something like this semi-flush mount fixture would coordinate with your existing pendant.

August 23, 2012 at 4:09am   
Scott's Creative Home
I am with Manon Floreat on putting in a can light over the sink. Having a pendant so close to the ceiling looks cluttered. This will allow for a window valance to give the window some interest. Add a modern or contemporary light for the center fixture.
August 23, 2012 at 4:39am   
verityk
Thanks everyone, this is really helpful. I've seen a ton of pendant lights that I love but can't seem to find a flush/semi-flush one that speaks to me. :o/ My budget really doesn't allow for any major rehauls, as much as I'd love to get recessed lighting. Dytecture, the picture you posted is interesting because I like the idea of coordinating but not identical pendants - but in my kitchen the current flush light isn't over an island, it's just in the middle of the room. Would a pendant look funny there or would tall people bump their heads and never want to come over again? You can probably tell I'm a design newbie - before I got my house I never would have occurred to me to hate my light fixtures! Shannon, you're right, these two don't go together, they don't give enough light, and when you start looking at all the gorgeous fixtures available, these really start to look blah.

Fife2 - I just did a quick search but couldn't find Renovation Hardware... you don't by any chance mean Rejuvenation, do you? All I got was that and Restoration Hardware.
August 23, 2012 at 4:50am   
Coffee table ideas for my basement.
Looking to make an upholstered coffee table for my...
What are these flowers?!
Saw these flowers in a beautiful vase at Pier1...trying...
Golden Vent Hood and Green Walls
We want to know what you think about the golden vent...
can't decide on which granite
My cabinets are white and I have oak floors called...
Looking for Wallpaper
Does anyone know where this wallpaper is from or were...