What to do with the brown trim
gwo_neg_la
I love black, white, gray, and blue. However, we just bought a house and it has brown all over -- trim, doors, cabinets, curtains,, window casings, light fixtures, blinds, backsplash -- brown. The previous owners had it decorated very nicely and it looked really good. I really don't want to redo everything; this home is not a fixer-upper and I have 3 little kids running around. Is it possible to incorporate white,black,blue, and gray with the brown finish work and have it look good? Or do I need to either embrace the brown or paint everything? It should go without saying, but please be kind in your responses, I am not rich or a designer, just a mom who wants her house to look nice.
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I will ever so gently and kindly say, my dear, please paint the brown trim. It's a big job but if you do one room at a time over a period of time, eventually you'll get it all done. Brown trim is very "bossy" and will take all the attention away from the colour scheme you want. When it's done, you'll love the transformation and feel that the time spent was worth it. Is there someone that can help you with this? Either to paint or to amuse the kids while you paint? It's always more bearable when you have someone to help you.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 9:05PM
karen paul interiors
Cynthia..."brown paint is bossy.."! I would have never been able to verbalize what wood trim does until now! I'll have to remember that one. Good advice from Cynthia. She's absolutely correct and do take whatever time it requires to paint your way through the house. You will have no regrets.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 9:09PM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I can't take credit for the "bossy" term--it's one of Maria Killam's wise sayings and I think it's perfectly descriptive and I've adopted it. Do you know her blog, Karen? http://www.mariakillam.com/blog It's one of the best out there. I took her True Colour Expert training in 2011, a week-long course she ran in Toronto.
    Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 9:40PM
Brown trims gives a more traditional feel, and would go well with other neutral colors you described.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 7:33AM
zenhome
You always come through Dytecture with the perfect photo to illustrate to the client how to make something work. The brown trim looks anything but "bossy" in this photo.

I think gwo that you could make it work. Painting all the trim in a home is such a major undertaking, and especially with three kids.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 7:46AM
Mona Ives
I agree that a lot of brown is bossy. Dytecture has a ovely photo but if you note, there are no wood blinds, and the curtains are not brown as discussed above. Brown can work with blue and neutrals, but I don't think it plays all that well with grey black or white. When we're talking about brown woodwork and trim... I suggest you paint. Anything is possible if you have an unlimited budget, you can make anything work if money or time is no object. But just painting trims I feel is more cost effective for a mom.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 7:58AM
zenhome
I agree Mona the brown blinds are TOO much with brown trim, but it wouldn't be that difficult to add some inexpensive side drapes to lighten it up. From what I gathered above, gwo (the homeowner) would prefer to work with what she has as opposed to redoing everything. As for the colours, there are a lot of photos on houzz showing brown with black and grey.
    Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 8:26AM
karen paul interiors
Cyn, I don't follow her. Thanks for the suggestion....I'll bookmark her for certain!
    Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 9:37AM
You heard what Dytecture said! Men love natural wood and women love painted wood. It is a fact with stastical data to prove it. So I'm a woman - paint!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 10:04AM
Lanie Brown, REALTOR®, Martha Turner Sotheby's
Hmmm, I like painting if I can get a man to do it...
1 Like    Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 6:47AM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
LOL Lanie, you sound a bit like Mae West!

P.S. I absolutely agree 100%
    Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 7:01AM
sj73116
You have young children, paint will chip. If it is stained maybe hold off until they get a little older?
    Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 1:45PM
Help in Kitchen for flooring
need to match the tile anyone know where to get it?...
mcbs1961
How to dress the Buffet?
Hello Houzzers! I need some pro help here. I just cannot...
meddr101
Please suggest ways to improve this bedroom
This is my favorite room. I am not too sure if an all...
zulkifli49
Damask wall to wall carpet?
Painted a large basement room that includes a small...
cguinard
painting over venetian plaster
we moved into a house that was entirely done in venetian...
Violeta Archilla