Have you created an edible landscape?

Emily HurleyAugust 23, 2012
There have been some great ideabooks about incorporating edible plants into your landscape. I have often thought about setting aside a specific area of the yard as an edible garden, but the option of working edible plants into your overall landscape like this hadn't occurred to me.
Grace Design Associates · More Info
Oakland Estate · More Info

Have you incorporated edible plants into your yard? Do you set aside a garden area instead?

Here are a couple great ideabooks on the topic:
Ideabook: Vegetables and Flowers Mix in Beautiful Edible Gardens · See Ideabook

Ideabook: Unexpected Edible Gardens · See Ideabook
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Luciole Design Inc.
If you think a bit out of the box, you can add even more plants. Prickly pear cactus have edible fruits, many herbs such as thyme, chives, rosemary and bay laurel are great landscape plants. Many annual flowers are edible if they haven't been treated with nasty chemicals. Changing the shape of an edible plant works, too - many fruit trees can be espaliered to fit them into spaces unsuitable for a tree.
    Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 2:25PM
Elyn's Library
Almost all the trees in our yard are "edible" - several varieties of Olive trees along the driveway, Pistachio, several varieties of Pomegranate, Quince, several Cherry, Plum, Apricot, Peach, lots of different kinds of Apples and Pears, Almonds, Mulberries (yes the fruiting kind). All the trees in the containers that line the deck are Citrus of all kinds that are underplanted with several varieties of strawberries that fill the planters and spill down the sides.

We do have some that are purely ornamental - a gorgeous Deodar Cedar that began life as a live Christmas tree 15 years ago; a couple of Gingko simply because I love the leaf shape and the deep gold color they turn in the fall. A Sugar Maple which I suppose will be "edible" when it grows up. An old fashioned southern Magnolia simply because I love the look of it. Also have several live Oaks that are filled with acorns and feed every squirrel, jay and other assorted small critters from all around.

Perennials include Rhubarb patches that have huge, tropical looking leaves; an assortment of different kinds of Blueberries are lovely shrubs with obvious benefits plus the leaves turn red in the fall. Lots of different kinds of Grape vines can scramble along a fence or over an arbor with delicious fruits for eating fresh. Asparagus patches provide lovely tall, feathery fronds as well as beautiful veggies. Lots of Herbs can be planted as perennials - choose the ones you like and see where you can tuck them in around your existing plantings.

Annuals and seed can be anything your family likes - radish and lettuces in the cool spring or fall; let the kids help with seeds of peas or bean or squash and let the squash wander through the garden bed under whatever you have there now. Of course tomatoes if you like them need a bit extra TLC, but are almost always worth the effort. Potatoes in large containers can be fun and easy - just tip the container over in the late summer/fall when ready to harvest.

You just have to think twice about what you plant when it comes time. Instead of grabbing a six pack of generic "color" from the garden center, grab a six pack of strawberries instead. When you are looking for something to fill a space in your garden, see if something "edible" can go there instead.

It will take time and experimenting and some things will work - beautifully; and some things will fail - spectacularly. Just take time to enjoy the process of growing as much as the edible product.
    Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 4:50PM
cyn222
I mix herbs in with flowers and have them in my front yard as well. Plants like beans, cukes and even tomatoes can be grown up on trellis supports that add beauty to the garden.
    Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 6:50PM
cyn222
Thought this front yard veggie garden was beautiful.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 6:51PM
PRO
Tampa Landscape Design
I planted fruit trees and set up veggie gardens on 3 sides of my house. Using microirrigation so no water restriction rules killing what I've started.
    Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 3:23PM