Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizapetra

we'd like to paint the same colors on this porch ceiling and floor

lizapetra
11 years ago
can you give me the colors / brands? Thanks so much!
Greensboro House · More Info

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Coggan + Crawford Architecture + Design
    11 years ago
    The blue ceiling we don't know. It is kind of a traditional color used on porch ceilings to keep away the mud dauber wasps called haint blue. The floor is basic benjamin moore epoxy deck paint. We often use the platinum gray, but here we used the one that is next darkest. I haven't checked that paint lately for VOCs, so I don't know if we'd use the paint again.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    It may be an urban myth, but we've also heard several different people say that the blue keeps away the mud daubers - they see the blue as the sky. I don't know enough about the optical physiology of wasps to confirm or deny this. Nice story about the spirits, though, and better than mud daubers.
  • lmaas2
    10 years ago
    Is haint blue from Benjamin Moore or sheer win Williams
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Haint blue is more of an idea than a specific color name from a paint brand. a lot of different light blues have been used.
  • Linda Young
    8 years ago

The Significance of Haints

Blue ceilings are popular and have been popular in the South for centuries. “Porch ceilings have always been blue in the South,” says Lori Sawaya, an independent Principal Color Strategist. “People continue to paint their porch ceiling blue because that's what their grandmother did, and that's what her grandmother did.”

But many Southerners suggest that blue porch ceilings originated out of the fear of haints. Southerners, especially in the area of South Carolina, have a name for the ceiling paint used on porches – the soft blue-green is referred to as “Haint Blue.”

“Haints are restless spirits of the dead who, for whatever reason, have not moved on from their physical world,” says Sawaya.

Haint blue, which can also be found on door and window frames as well as porch ceilings, is intended to protect the homeowner from being “taken” or influenced by haints. It is said to protect the house and the occupants of the house from evil.

• Linda Young
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is the reason I was always given for why our ceilings are blue. :)