Color Choices for Foyer and Kitchen
symphonycook
I just bought my first home and am at a complete loss as to what color to use in the kitchen and foyer.

Right now the kitchen is a light yellow. The cabinets are walnut and the counter and backsplash are bright white formica. I would like to stick to a monochromatic color scheme, shades of white and grey- however, I don't know that it would be right for this kitchen. Fridge will be stainless steel. There is a window above the sink and french doors to the outside.

The foyer is painted in a cream and pale blue. I think I will paint the wainscoting a bright white, to freshen it up along with the rest of the house, and I would love to paint the walls grey, but every shade I try doesn't play well with the natural wood. I'm not afraid to go bold in the foyer, so long as it has a classic look and doesn't feel dark.

Any color ideas for the kitchen and foyer are well appreciated!

The foyer does open up to the living room (through the doors) and the dining room. Living room will ideally be a light grey (like SW's Morning Fog) with white trim. There is a wall with a white traditional fireplace, that will be painted black. Furniture is modern and bright white all lacquer,cotton, glass or leather. Dining room is formal, traditional and antique- so i would like to use a rich, dark-romantic modern color, like SW's Rainstorm, or a dark blue/grey grasscloth wallpaper. Ultimately I think the color of the living room and dining room will be dictated by the foyer.

Thank you!
Peggy
What a great first house. I know you're looking for paint color advice. I would like to encourage you, however, to have those beautiful wood floors refinished - if there is wood under the carpet in the LR, restore that wood, too, and you'll have a beautiful flow...also wood floors in the kichen would go well with cabinets.
Re paint: keep it light in the kitchen and foyer (like you said) and look at heritage paint colors that go with the era of the house. I will be interested to read what designers advise; particularly on painting the black fireplace.
Please, no more red walls. I'm so tired of that, aren't you?
Congrats on your first home! Peg in Montana
0 Likes   August 24, 2012 at 5:10AM
Lanie Brown, REALTOR®, Martha Turner Sotheby's
I agree that the kitchen needs a splash of color rather than a monochromatic scheme to keep it cheery!
0 Likes   August 24, 2012 at 5:44AM
symphonycook
Peggy- unfortunately there isn't wood under the carpet, but I agree the wood needs to be refinished and the floor would flow nicely if it were all wood.

Emma- I did poor job of explaining the fireplace. I meant to say we were leaving the fireplace surround and mantle white, but painting the small wall it is located on (corner fireplace) black. The fireplace takes up more than 1/2 the wall and we have some large art that we want to hang above the mantle that would contrast well with a dark color. It's difficult to tell in the picture, but the wainscoting and doors are all painted a very light yellow. Beyond the dining room is a den with wood paneling- most of the furniture in the home is traditional with some contemporary touches.

Thank you for all the feedback!
0 Likes   August 24, 2012 at 2:18PM
TanCalGal
Pretty house. First buy white electrical outlets and white covers for the white formica outlets. For the electrical outlets on the paneling, black outlets & covers. What colors are in the kitchen flooring? Are other appliances stainless? Is sink white? Are you having window treatments in kitchen?

A runner on the stairs would brighten. This might be a pretty runner with the blue and white and wood. Perhaps a new fixture? Photos? Is there room for a table in entry or chair?

Would like to see photos of the other rooms.
0 Likes   August 24, 2012 at 8:30PM
Need help with design of replacement windows
We are ready to replace the old casement non functioning...
How do I make the television NOT the focal point of my room?
I live in a small condo, and the living area is awkwardly...
need help with a den
my den has a fireplace opposite a sliding glass door....
Fireplace
For some reason this brick fireplace was painted white....