Foyer help!
Annette Federonis
Our foyer is very tall and narrow with a staircase to one side and a landing. The previous owners put up some wooded stick on designs. I have thought about painting the ceiling but am a bit nervous. Our home is a coastal cottage. I am thankful for any help.
Annette Federonis
My foyer, I dint think the images attached properly on the post
August 25, 2012 at 8:31am   
Annette Federonis
Another image of the problem goyer
August 25, 2012 at 8:33am   
houssaon
The wood trim around the door and the windows seems heavy, especially against the stark white walls. What color were you thinking to paint the ceiling?

Also the moulding decorations don't fit a beachy look. I'd get rid of them.
August 25, 2012 at 10:29am     
houssaon
Oh, I get it now. The stick on designs should go. Can you paint the wood trim white and paint all the walls and the ceiling the same blue color you have now? I think that would look so much crisper.
August 25, 2012 at 10:33am     
houssaon
A lighter blue might be better on the walls. It won't feel as narrow:
This is a grey (hard to believe) and not your style, but doesn't the all white trim look good?
August 25, 2012 at 10:45am     
Annette Federonis
I agree, I have no idea what color to paint the ceiling, maybe a lighter shade of the blue? I would love to have the design know how ( and the guts) to paint it a wonderful light orange, my husband would probably flip his lid. The trim around the door will be white before I go so sleep tonight! I love that. Taking down the stick on's absoutly. The beam that goes all the way accross, to me makes no sense, what to do with that?really want to make an impact. Now our mantel in the livingroom attached to the foyer is also stained. Will it look ok with the trim all white? Oh and to be clear paint trim and door white or just trim? And paint the wall the same blue or lighter. Thanks for your help A..
August 26, 2012 at 7:09am   
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
If you are thinking Coastal Design, than I would definitely remove the dark trim or paint it white. If the trim goes white than you may want to paint the ceiling white also, or possibly add 20% of the wall color into brite white.

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
August 26, 2012 at 8:25am   
portpiro
If you love orange you could paint that entrance wall that colour but the same intensity as the blue ie not too light. Would go great with the blue walls. If the horizontal timber offends you (it will look better white) paint that the same colour as the wall so it disappears. Seeing the previous owners have introduced all that white you would be best to run with that now. Plus it's much fresher and crisper for a beach house. I think I'd paint all the dark timber white throughout the house. If you want impact in the foyer than a orange wall will do it! I love the idea of orange blue and white in a beach house. Those colours are made to go together.
August 26, 2012 at 8:35am   
bamamom
When you remove the stick on decal on that dark beam, I would paint that the same color of the wall. I agree with you it makes no sense going across there. Leave the windows and door frames as they are for now and see how you feel after getting rid of the decals and dark beam. It may feel better then.

Use some pops of orange in your decor if DH is going to flip with orange ceiling! :-)
August 26, 2012 at 10:03am   
Annette Federonis
Huge thanks to all, the door and trim are getting painted white asap and the wall will be orange as soon as I can find the right orange....it is a difficult color to get spot on. Any tips? And THANK YOU ALL, I have staring at this wall for almost a year and this is the best advice, I will post pictures soon. :)
August 26, 2012 at 11:34am   
bamamom
Look forward to seeing the "after" shots. Good luck!
August 26, 2012 at 8:30pm   
Annette Federonis
Well this evening we are awaiting a slight hurricane so I decided not to go out for white paint. But I did have orange on hand, a little stout! It turns out, mow I am thinking that our blue maybe a bit to stout as well.if we are tucked up inside might as well paint! Thanks :)
August 26, 2012 at 9:02pm   
bamamom
Annette, Hope your safe. We have been watching Issac's progress all day. I think I now understand some of your blue/orange combination considering your location and a certain school or football team? ;-) or could be that it is the coastal cottage feel as you originally mentioned. :-)
Be safe!
August 26, 2012 at 9:09pm   
Annette Federonis
I am so humbled with the concern and absolute unconditional care for my foyer, honestly shouts true southern hospitality which can not be measured. I am ready for the storm, the price we pay for such paradise, I was not ready for anonymous prayers. Thank you, and may his soul be with you.
August 26, 2012 at 9:21pm     
bamamom
Annette, How are you?
August 27, 2012 at 7:08pm   
Annette Federonis
We are all great, thanks :)
September 6, 2012 at 2:12pm   
mpoulsom
I like the more muted blue color in the picture above that houssaon posted above. With all white trim for the beach! Maybe you could get some of your orange/peachy/salmon colors in accessories and artwork. I think the blue should be carried throughout that area on the walls though. Glad you guys are safe and sound!
September 6, 2012 at 2:56pm   
Need help for my dark foyer Victorian era foyer.
I have a large dark foyer...lots of dark oak and very...
Help please! Need help with my foyer!
Bleh! I just put up some board and batten and started...
Need help to update 17 Ft. high foyer in my house
Double door entrance doors. West wall 7 ft wide plus...
Help!! Creating a Foyer
The front Entry / Living and Dining rooms are basically...
Need help deciding color of accent wall
I have an entire house painted light beige. Drapes...
I will NEVER have _____ in my home!
What's the one thing (or a few things) you refuse to...
China cabinet update
My circa 1972 dark pine china cabinet needs help. ...
Best Iron?
I find myself AGAIN in need of a new iron after dropping...
Battery operated LED wall sconces
I was looking forward to having my wall sconces installed...