Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetodecorate

Are my curtains too short?

lovetodecorate
11 years ago
I know that curtain length should be no more than a 1/2 inch off the floor..The person that hung my rods made it a half inch too high so my curtains are one inch off the floor. I don't want him to lower the rod because I would have to patch and paint again..not counting his charge for labor. I can use rings but I would have to use the clip on ones like a clothes pin and I don't really like that with these curtains..I'm trying to decide which is worse..letting them stay one inch off the floor, adding the clip rings and then they would drag on the floor..(not fond of that look) or any other suggestion other than sewing a border on the bottom..I guess I want to know is it worth doing anything for a half inch..Thanks so much..

Comments (24)

• feeny
    11 years ago
    Your curtains look perfect to me! Lovely room.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    They are perfect , do you want them to sweep the floors ? lol
  • Vera Barradas
    11 years ago
    Yes, my opinion also, i think the curtains look perfect. Its also easyer to clean the floor.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Your curtains are perfect. The days of curtains "puddling" on the floor are over, thank goodness. All they did was catch lint and dust bunnies!
  • Anna DiBalsamo
    11 years ago
    Hi there,

Very pretty room; if it really bothers you, take the hem out of each panel 1/2" inch. Re-hang. Done!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    AJD - that was too easy!!! LOL!
  • PRO
    Wow Great Place
    11 years ago
    If you hadn't told us about the curtains, I would have wondered what the heck was wrong with this picture. The drapes look just fine, but rehemming would be your only option if that 1/2" continues to drive you batty. I will bet a dollar that no one notices....they really do look fine!
  • PRO
    Wow Great Place
    11 years ago
    Oh, and you may also try gently pulling on the drapes....sometimes they stretch just enough to give you that extra length! Just don't throw them in the wash, as they may shrink!!!
  • lovetodecorate
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you so much! I do want to say that the picture probably isn't the best to see how short they are..I should have taken the picture lower..When you look at it you can see the little shoe moulding completely. In the picture it doesn't look like you can..I did think of one other thing if it does bother me later..I could take a crossgrain ribbon and make ties to the top..not bows but ties and I would make it wider and longer to just drape..It's a casual room so it could work..but I think unless someone says something to me I will leave them as is..I also thought about adding a little trim at the bottom..The fabric has an embroidered thread on top and if I got a trim to coordinate with that I could add it with a basting stitch without even taking the panels off..You can tell I don't want to take them down! lol Thanks again..I really appreciate it!
  • AMN
    11 years ago
    That picture is from eye-level, and that is the way you'll be seeing it the most. I understand that it's difficult when you "know too much" (they don't cover the shoe moulding!), but I hope that all of our encouraging comments will help!

I like the curtain fabric, and it looks like you have a lovely design scheme going in that room.
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    Any chance you can bend the brackets down to gain the extra length. Sorry but they look a tad short to me too and thats a shame seeing that those curtains are just beautiful in that room.
  • PRO
    Mackenzie Austin Design
    11 years ago
    Looks fine to me...I don't think anyone is going to be crouched down on the floor looking at your drapes. I do like to have them just barely off the floor, but your's are so soft you can't tell. Live with it for a while and if it still bothers you, get them re-hemmed, looks like you have 3"-4" of play to do that.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    They look fine. Cute room.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- one inch or half inch ,either one is good and the curtains look beautiful. I don't think anyone will even notice .
  • Sigrid
    11 years ago
    The curtains look great. If anyone is critical enough to stare at the bottoms of your curtains, eyeball the measurement, and decide you come up short, then you should feel deeply sorry for someone with such a sorry life.
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    Lovely little reading nook - if curtains continue to cause you concern - you will have to work on hem or bring down top - all the great feedback here should ease your anxiety - happy reading
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    These curtains are good and appropriate length , and I agree with sigrida , that anyone who stares at the curtain bottoms will be having a sorry life , could go to the beach ! lol
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    These curtains are good and appropriate length , and I agree with sigrida , that anyone who stares at the curtain bottoms will be having a sorry life , could go to the beach ! lol
  • lovetodecorate
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I really appreciate all the feedback..You will not believe what happened after all this discussion. I hung the last panel on the third window and it was two inches off the floor! I almost cried..I had actually convinced myself that you were right and I should let the darn 1/2 go..Well..I couldn't live with two inches off the floor..It looked so weird..Fortunately, it's a window that's off to the other side so I was able to take down the two panels and take out the seam on top and sew the top by hand to give me another inch..Now they are the same as the others but the pocket is much smaller..I have to live with that which I think I might be able to..or take the others down and sew the smaller pocket like that one..It never ends..I had this person sew twenty panels for me for different windows in my home and now I'm pretty worried each panel will be different..Thanks for all your help!
  • phenie53
    10 years ago
    I'm glad you posted this, because I have had the same issue. Ten years ago I made gorgeous draperies for my living room, which I still love. Only problem: the info at the time said 1" off the floor was the "right" length for drapes. It seemed just a couple years after that I saw only draperies that "puddled". Frankly, draperies that puddle, or even draperies that skim the floor, don't make sense to me. Not only do they collect dust, but if your draperies just touch the floor, any unevenness is very obvious. And even if draperies are perfectly even all the way across, when hung, they are uneven in the ins and outs of the folds. I went to a home show recently and was quite surprised to see draperies in a couple rooms that were 2" off the floor. In sum, I think your 1" looks great.
  • Patricia Marcott
    10 years ago
    You can always fold the top of your curtain down toward the back neatly, at the appropriate length, (which can be tricky) and then use clip rings and make a pinch pleat.
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    9 years ago
    Old post August 2012. Your curtains look lovely!
    lovetodecorate thanked TheFurnitureCollection
  • pdk920
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If they're washable, you could use them as is (they look just fine) and if they shrink when washed you could then re-hem them all to match.

If anything about the window or floor is slightly off-square, even perfect drapes won't hang exactly the same.