Living Room: Fireplace vs TV
C Milli
We have recently moved into this house, the previous owners used this only as a living room with no television. We have turned what was their TV room into a playroom for the kids so we need to use it for a TV room as well. The problem is that the cable outlet is opposite the fireplace and the fireplace is to tall to put a TV above it. We will use the fireplace in the winter but will use the TV every day. These are the listing photos, right now we have very little furniture in it.
TVCoverUps
A great alternative is my product www.Tvcoverups.com This will give you the ability to place your TV anywhere on the wall, and place a piece of Art to cover it when you are not viewing it.
August 29, 2012 at 10:39am   
C Milli
That'll be something to look into but doesn't help with the furniture layout which is the biggest issue.
August 29, 2012 at 10:50am   
larryhinkle
I personally hate hate hate fireplaces. They are an anachronism that ruins space in most rooms IMO. I also hate TVs over them for a number of reasons....

That said. The best solution is to not worry about cable outlets. You can get wireless set boxes these days that allow you to put TVs anywhere regardless of where the cabling is. Not all providers offer them yet
August 29, 2012 at 11:01am   
Love the reading nook and would put a chaise on a nice area rug there with soft roman shades and a floor lamp. Another alternative would be a desk, making it into a small home office. Try two accent chairs angled at either side of the FP. I would place a sofa perpindicular to the window by the fireplace, centered on the center of the window, out in the middle much like these pics, but facing the away from the triple window on the end. Try two armchairs facing the FP where the sofa is here. If those armchairs are skirted you can have a rocker/swivel mount on them and they can actually turn to face the wall where the TV connection already is. Set the TV on a piece of real furniture, not a tv stand, or have an entertainment center or do a built-in for it. The sofa can view both FP/TV, the two armchairs can rotate to watch the fire or the TV, and the accent chairs by the FP can see TV or be pulled wherever needed. By the triple window I'd put a game/snack table and chairs. Drapes/panels hung floor to ceiling, art and a huge rug you can float the furniture on in the center of the room will finish it off nicely.
August 29, 2012 at 11:19am   
Hi Cheri, my TV room current have 2 love seats perpendicular to the TV which I sit regularly, and it doesn't really affect my viewing angle or any less comfortable. So this might be a good compromise in order to have the TV and fireplace on opposite ends in the room.
August 29, 2012 at 7:43pm   
That's quite clever, David!
August 29, 2012 at 7:53pm     
rebeccakort
i think deco's ideas should work with some furniture u already have. i like the game table idea too. I didn't do that at my last house and then wish I had. Your bump out (my layman's term) would be a great loungey nook for reading also like Deco said- if you could make it more relaxing and less library like. Try the couch like deco and dytecture placed it and see if it will work for u. The biggest disadvantage will be the couch will turn into a seating for one since they will sit with their back to the couch arm to view tv.. many good options already posted :) not much more to be said :) can't wait for updated pics!
August 29, 2012 at 8:38pm   
Media Decor
From the pics, it appears there is room for a good sized tv above the fireplace. I suggest you have a competent AV guy look at the setup and he can probably figure out how to make it work. A casement around the TV will help it blend into the mantle.
October 8, 2012 at 8:10am   
C Milli
Reviving this in hope of some more ideas - the idea of putting the TV above the fireplace is not a favorite of my DH. What would a TV cabinet look like to the right of the fireplace under/near that window???
April 19, 2013 at 10:29am   
Melissa Barnes
Hi,
Sorry, i can't help with any ideas :( however i would love ro know what software programme you (or dytecture who also posted a floor layout) used. I'm buying soon and will need to be asking the houzzer the exact same question about living room /tv layouts!
April 19, 2013 at 11:00am   
April 19, 2013 at 11:02am     
onthefence
Cheri, something I've seen a photos of a couple times is an 'island' TV. Not sure if this would work for your livingroom but thought I'd add a couple pics that may help as inspiration.
living room
My Houzz: Modern Dutch home combines vintage and Asian touches
How to hide a TV
April 19, 2013 at 11:06am   
suzanne_m
I have a similar furniture layout as Dytecture except that the right sofa is replaced by 2 chairs and a small table. The two chairs recline, rock and swivel. I really like my swivel chairs because I can look at the fire place or watch tv or have a nice discussion with a good friend.
April 20, 2013 at 2:01pm   
Living room dilemma with tv/ fireplace wall
How new house came with a giant cutout in the wall,...
need help in living room for wall unit, tv and electric fireplace
Contemporary design want to put an electric fireplace...
Help design living room feature wall with tv and fireplace
I have a large wall in my living room which I have...
need help laying out furniture in living room with tv over fireplace
Room size is 30x15 and the fire place is in the center...
Front door painted black - brush strokes are too heavy
Wood front door was painted black 2 days ago and the...
Pool upgrade advice please
Pool area looks so old and tired! I do not like pebblecrete...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Help!! Pretty please. I need lots of ideas.
I was given a couple ideas but still unsure if we should...
Need paint color advice: black ceilings?
My wife and I are buying a foreclosure and having it...