Need help with outdoor structure
Lynda
I am trying to figure out what color trim to put on the pavilion we are having built in our backyard. The posts will be having a cultured stone on the lower third and the gable wall will be a light Beige/Taupe painted siding (same as the house). I am wondering if I need to "match" the fascia and soffit with the same thing I will be using for the house? If so, the house will be white trim. The house will have the same architectural shingles as the pavilion. The exterior color scheme of the house will be similar to the picture (from a Houzz submission).
But, I am thinking a white trim on the pavilion may not look good with the darker wood posts? Maybe if I stayed with a darker fascia that blends well with the posts?
Bottom line I guess is, does the pavilion need to have the same color scheme as the house, even though the pavilion does have dark wood posts? Or, can I go with different fascia and soffit colors?
Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you.
HI -- You can never go wrong with WHITE . No -.the pavillion does not have be the same as the house .- your choice . I have even seen an Asian style one in red and it was totaly seperate from the house .
1 Like   August 31, 2012 at 2:39PM
yorkiesgem
I prefer both the structures match as closely as possible if continuity is what you're going for. I've seen homes that had other structures built at the same time as the house but looked more like after thoughts or structures built years later. Ask a Realtor on this sight. Usually what sells is a good indication of what looks better to the general population overall. I say yes to white trim blending very well to the wood texture on the posts even though the house doesn't. It's the few elements that tie them together.

Keep in mind, the photo you supplied of the house is BEAUTIFUL!!! So do you want the pavilion to be an extension or appear as a separate building?
1 Like   August 31, 2012 at 3:33PM
Deborah Andress
You can go with a different color. There are times YOU CAN go wrong with white. Maybe you could consider the dark color of your shutters. You might also stain your pavilion posts to match the door of your house. This way you have coordinated the two structures without being totally matchy matchy.
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 6:11PM
dthill
I have a white pergola to match my white trim on the house. It is rather large and you walk thru it to get to the front porch. And when you go around the back side of the house, I have a large carport that is very similar to your pavilion, and the only thing that matches is the roof. However it is tied in with darker (wood tone) furniture on my patio. The hanging baskets/patio pots have the same flowers/colors. I was always going to paint it, but really enjoy having it different.
1 Like   August 31, 2012 at 6:42PM
Lynda
Thanks everyone. I found a site that let me add different color trim, and this is what I get with the white trim. The front gable section would be the same color as the house siding. I also need gable vents, so would be adding a white painted octagon. I really would like the pavilion to look somewhat of an extension of the house and not an aferthought? What do you think?
0 Likes   September 1, 2012 at 6:29AM
Lynda
Or this.... with the darker trim? (The lower third of the posts will be ledgestone for both - the same stone as the house picture above).
0 Likes   September 1, 2012 at 6:59AM
yorkiesgem
Without the gable vent added in the darker trim color, its hard to see. I think both pictures as they are right now show both trim colors well but I'm concerned once the vent is added the look might not go as well. Your ledgestone looks beautiful in the photo and I do see warm darker color, yet overall I see more gray tones. This darker trim in the last photo looks like dark chocolate so this is what causes me to hesitate in voting for the darker trim. In the program you found, try placing the vent in correct size/placement in both trim colors to see how it appeals to you overall.
1 Like   September 1, 2012 at 12:15PM
charissa05_02
love this house! where did you find this posting?
0 Likes   September 1, 2012 at 1:32PM
dthill
I would keep the white trim...not so excited about the darker trim. How about box out a third of the posts and put the same stone around them as you have on the house. You could also use patio/wall blocks to make a chunkier column. Also you may find the octogon vent a bit dating the structure. Perhaps, using a half round. Remember, these are mainly used for crossflow for ventilation. I am not sure about the siding...it doesn't quite match your home, does it? I still think its' beautiful. You may find that it would be the details that bring it all together. What about a flagstone walk way, potted plants, hanging baskets, furniture, etc. You may find that living with it for a while, the ideas will flow.
1 Like   September 1, 2012 at 2:20PM
Lynda
Thanks so much. @Charissa - This house is at
. My house will be very similar with the same colors, stone, and shutters; Although, we will have a gable roof, not hip.
0 Likes   September 1, 2012 at 5:16PM
dthill
I was checking out the products...you may want to check out "the deck store online" Look at "the lodge" thought it might be interesting for you.
1 Like   September 2, 2012 at 12:37PM
Sonshine Staging & Design, LLC
The white trim is a nicely needed contrast to the shingles. A chocolate or brown paint downsizes the area and with white, you're connecting to existing structure.
1 Like   September 2, 2012 at 12:44PM
Need help with what these structures are called.
Is / are there names / term for these wall doorway...
jaynes123
Need help connecting two structures (house and garage).
I bought a beach house and the garage and house are...
lisazajac
Need help on room Structure!
Hi, We're about to start planning a refurb on a 5 bedroom...
Mike Wolman
Help! Structural poles need removing in rumpus room!
We are considering buying this house and these poles...
katealt
Under mount sink disaster- what would houzz do!?
Today I filled my 36" stainless steel sink with water...
Elizabeth Yannone
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
need help with my living room
Hi! I was hoping to get some input re: my living room....
alsad
laminate flooring v groove VS no groove
can somebody describes the pros and cons of V groove....
kallukanki
front door color
need to paint the front door...what color do you suggest?...
dwolfrum