Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chucky44

I need help with my family room off my kitchen

chucky44
11 years ago
I just moved into a larger home and I need to buy furniture for my whole first floor. I was going to put a leather sectional in the family room and buy a couch and 2 chairs for the living room. Each sitting space will have a different look. But I'm questioning the sectional because it will take up so much space.

Comments (9)

• houssaon
    11 years ago
    I personally don't like sectional because that are not flexible.

Measure your rooms including doors and windows before you go shopping. Also make sure you can get the furniture into the room.

If you post a picture of your spaces we be happy to give suggestions. Also take a look in the photo section for great ideas.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Hi, a floor plan would certainly be helpful. Sectional sofa works best if there is single access to a room.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Carolyn's right. The only thing I could add is stores like Lazy Boy offer design help if you shop there. Probably Macy's too. I can't speak for the quality of their help, just that it's there.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Yes, do some research before you go out furniture shopping. Create an ideabook on houzz in order to pinpoint your style and have some visuals to inspire you. Ethan Allen has a complimentary in-home design service that might be available in your area. Buy the best upholstered pieces you can afford and consider comfort, durability, versatility, and ease of cleaning. Resist the temptation to buy "sets" and don't be seduced by the pricey accessories found in most furniture showrooms. Finally, reserve a portion of your budget for some art you love... preferably originals by local artists or nice quality prints.
  • PRO
    Cherry Yount @ Furnitureland South
    11 years ago
    Hi. I am a designer and work at Furnitureland South in High Point NC. This is the largest furniture store in the world with over 1.3 million square feet of showroom space.

If you can plan a visit to the store, I will be happy to do the space planning for you and help you with your furniture selection.

I would strongly urge you to make sure you are buying pieces that fit and that you have someone who can guide you through the process of making the right decisions.

Let me know if I can help. Cherry
  • Riley Hammond
    11 years ago
    Something nice about sectionals is you can buy them so they look good separated if it is too much for one space. Call a few different furniture stores to get quotes and ideas. Leather sectionals are timeless and classy so don't give up your good idea beacuse you are worried about space.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    One of the problems with dividing sectional pieces is that you'll usually end up with no arm on one end of 2 pieces. I'd choose a sofa and 2 chairs most days of the week. I will occasionally select a sectional. yes, but not often.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    11 years ago
    I agree with Carolyn, dividing in 2 pieces will not be the answer.