Ugly awkward narrow pink bath
crowinghen
This is the only bathroom in this soon- to -be ours beach place.
On the one wall the entire length is built in storage,while on the other side the door opens right into the vanity. . I would like to keep the tub and make the rest of the bath just more functional.That door feels claustrophobic when you open it into the vanity/toilet area. Obviously it's super narrow too.
Would love some ideas!
thanks
cindycarnes
I think if you painted the cabinets, vanity and walls a neutral, Benjamin Moore Acadia is great it would open the space dramatically. Accent with color in towels, accessories, etc. If possible, you could consider installing a pocket door to replace the standard swing door. Use a natural stone in a neutral on the floors if the budget allows. Using a neutral color all over will make the cabinets "disappear" and really open up the space. Would love to see "after pictures"!
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 9:01AM
nasmijati
On a positive note, you do have lots of storage. I would paint it all white or off-white because this is a beach house.

The current door looks like it was designed to open as it does so that one did not have a full view of someone using the toilet if the door was opened a little bit. I would change the door into a barn door that slides on a rail along the hallway wall, keeping in mind the view of the toilet. A pocket door is another way to keep the bathroom door from opening into the space.

Another idea to make the space more functional might be to hang a curtain across the bathroom so the vanity can be used by one person while the tub and toilet are being used by someone else. I'm thinking the kind of curtain that is a canvas type material on the bottom third and a mesh material at the top to let the window light come through to the vanity. I have seen them in hospital rooms. I'm sure you can get one in a pretty color or cream colored canvas.

It looks like your lighting could use upgrading. Installing additional lights along the ceiling and near the vanity will help limit the claustrophobic feeling.

I am sure other Houzzers will suggest changes in plumbing for a different bathroom layout. Have fun and let your creativity be sparked by all the suggestions you receive! Best wishes!
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 9:16AM
crowinghen
Thanks! I will have to go to the house and see about a barndoor arrangement- I had thought that or a pocket door would work also, but the electrical would probably be in the way with a pocket door.
There is a ton of storage in this house- and actually there is a really weird walk in closet in the hall right outside the BR that could become a very nice linen/storage closet and some of that bathroom storage could disappear.
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 9:23AM
RHG Architecture + Design
Depends on your budget. I would paint the wall of cabinets a moderately darker color than the left side. This way it leads your eye down the length and out the window. Paint the wood cabinet the same as the left side so becomes less significant element and install a mirror with a frame. Pocket Doors are lovely if you are up for construction in addition to decorating.
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 9:25AM
crazylife
On this one, I actually need dimensions from wall to wall, and you should probably give us a budget.
The main question is do you need the storage as built or do you have other storage in the house?

Hate to tell you this, but from a space planning perspective, if that back wall is 5 feet wide, its smarter to take the tub and put it width-wise on the back wall, even though there a window there. You might have to take the storage cabinet out to gain the length needed.
1 Like   August 31, 2012 at 9:28AM
crowinghen
I'll have to get the dimensions the next time we're out there-
I had also thought about turning the tub, but yeah, not crazy about a window in there.
Hubby's handy, but we don't have a solid number for the budget on this part of the house yet-
and there is alot of storage nearby the bathroom, a walk in closet thats' about 4 foot by 3 foot .
thanks!
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 9:42AM
Debbie
Rather than tearing out the storage located in the narrow space--use the walk-in closet for part of the bathroom! A walk-in shower w/no doors or curtain would fit nicely in the walk in closet (go to your nearest manufactured home lot and see how they do their walk/in showers! Wow!) Maybe add a stacking washer/dryer?
I like the idea of the barn sliding door, saves a LOT of space!
Too dark? Add solar tubes--it's amazing how much light they bring in! (Don't forget to install one in the walk in shower!)
A yellow paint(Sherwin William's Jersey Cream)(flat for walls and ceiling) w/white cabinets....go ahead and get creative and add simple white crown moulding-to make the color pop!
Just remember--the flooring you use is going to have to withstand a LOT of sand! I'd go w/a high grade sheet flooring (that when wet, it's non-slip--we bought FleXiTec))(no grouted lines to clean).
We are moving to Ocean Shores and I'm sharing what we have planned to do.
BTW---I'd hate like craZy to have the tub under a window!
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 9:49AM
crazylife
c- With the new building innovations we have now; new adhesive membranes, solid vinyl trim, Ditra, vinyl window, etc., windows in a shower are less of a concern than in the past. Yeah, its not ideal, and years ago I would have said don't do it under any circumstances, but now it's not as much of a deal breaker.
1 Like   August 31, 2012 at 9:55AM
Debbie
*oops...now that I clicked on my above post, I saw the deminsions of the walk-in--it would still work, but, you'd need shower curtains. Just buy the curved shower rod, and that gives you 6 more inches of shower space...one does'nt need a big sink,in a Beach house, so, if you take that out, and install a small IKEA sink. Looks like everything would fit!
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 9:58AM
crowinghen
The closet in the hall does not adjoin the bathroom, it is across the small hall.
The bathroom is flanked by the two bedrooms, so really no additional space can be added to the bathroom that I can see.
I think that's a great idea to look at manufactured homes for ideas- they know how to utilize space!
1 Like   August 31, 2012 at 10:02AM
crowinghen
What do you think about moving the tub to where the vanity is, so the door opens into it instead of the vanity. Then put a wall on the other end of the tub, and a vanityand toilet down at the far end of the room? It would give the toilet/ vanity area some privacy, but I'm sure way more expensive than a barn door!
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 10:05AM
I'm not so sure about the desirability of a barndoor on the only bathroom in a beach house. Some of them are fairly noisy when they open and close...not the sort of thing you'd want to be listening to all night if you're a light sleeper.
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 10:11AM
crowinghen
oh good point Carolyn! I am a light sleeper
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 10:16AM
crazylife
J, don't worry, none of my ideas or suggestions would break the bank.
What kind of subfloor?
Our messages keep crossing.

Take Care.
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 10:27AM
crowinghen
Here's the current layout
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 10:38AM
crowinghen
Well the tub turning does make a lot of sense-i will have to measure and see if it's an option.
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 10:43AM
Debbie
Don't forget that you need lots of storage in a bathroom for the tp, the many bath towels, beach towels, hand towels, wash rags and extra-large bottles of hand sanitizers, shampoo, feminine products--trying to forsee all the needs of guests. Also--IKEA has great sliding doors...Inside doors do NOT have to be big and heavy like barn doors. Theirs glide like silk.
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 11:16AM
Debbie
@crowinghen--you suggested (above) moving the tub to the opposite side of the room...how would that help anything? Change the door instead of the plumbing, drain, etc etc.
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 12:08PM
nasmijati
The sliding barn doors on the bathrooms in the dorm rooms at Portland State University were quiet. Just "audition" ones you are considering buying.
1 Like   August 31, 2012 at 12:41PM
summer_night5
If that was my bath, I'd redo the flooring first and put in light colored squares in two values. I would lay them in horizontal stripes, one after the other. If you put down some horizontal stripes with duck tape and walk back into the hall to view what you did, you will see what I mean. Horizontal lines will visually widen the room even before you do anything more.
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 1:03PM
summer_night5
Have you considered hanging a shallow horizontal cabinet, art, wall decor, etc. on the wall to the right of the commode? The horizontal line will make the room look a lot wider. Also if you paint the far wall a brighter color, it will advance towards you and make the hall seem shorter.
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 2:32PM
yorkiesgem
I would look into that one lower level below the cabinet doors and consider adding texture to the sides and cushion for the top for a seat. I would seriously consider the cabinets in a darker tone, then remove a few [very few] cabinet doors so the wall isn't as solid looking, and paint the insides of those with removed doors adding light accent colored items [maybe teal blue glass items] or rolled towels/baskets of bath supplies etc with small shelving lights. If small tiles [even mirrored] were used inside the back wall or sides of the window seat it could help throw more light into the room and add width to the room. The window could then get a roman shade or curtain in that same accent color. If the cabinet color were to be changed for a darker color, I'd make sure the sink cabinet matched.

I agree on darker floor covering but at the least, darker larger throw rugs that are bath friendly with a richer fabric curtain hung from the top of the ceiling down. The door I would think might work with a Bi-fold out [even though doors are suppose to open into a room] the same way French doors open. The coat rack stand is out of place so I'd remove it and change the ceiling lighting fixture.
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 5:37PM
crowinghen
These are some great ideas!! Thank you all so much!
0 Likes   August 31, 2012 at 5:45PM
crowinghen
bumping this back up- we did end up purchasing this home and after a whirlwind couple of weeks tweaking the heating, re-roofing, etc we are starting to think about this bathroom.
It is the only bathroom in a two bedroom house on the Puget sound.
The dimensions are 10 foot six long, 6 foot 2 inches wide. We would like to keep a tub/shower combo. although the current one is long at 5 foot six.
also. there isn't any place to expand into.
I would especially love to have the bathroom jive with the rest of the house which is 1950 ish.
The built-ins are about 12 inches deep and run the whole length of the bathroom- they could go, but I would like lots of storage.
thanks so much!
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 9:24PM
slewisoh
We just completed a bath renovation. Dimensions were 6'5" wide by 10'2" long so very similar to yours. Bedrooms flanking on either side and a large closet in the hall.

I personally can't imagine having an entire wall of cabinetry run along the wall opposite your vanity - it would seem claustrophobic to me. Not all storage is created equal, so the first thing I would do is remove (perhaps repurpose) those cabinets and then change the entry door swing to the opposite side. This would be so much easier and cheaper than either a pocket door or a barn door.

As others suggested, running the tub across the back wall is the best use of space, but be aware this change is going to require that you move plumbing lines for both your tub/shower and your toilet. Hopefully, your floor joists run the length of the room, which will make it easier to relocate your toilet drain down toward the relocated tub.

We used a 5 foot tub, so across the back wall, we have a 17" bulkhead and then the 60" tub. The shower controls are located in the bulkhead wall. The bulkhead has a few benefits. First it gives us a places to install a small recessed cabinet for storage. Second, it moves the shower away from the toilet, making it easier to reach the controls or enter/exit depending on what side of the tub your controls are. Switching our tub/shower controls to be on the same side of the room as the toilet and vanity greatly improved function for us.

Our 122" length is comprised of 32" wide tub/shower combo, 30" space for toilet (36 is ideal) and 60" for double bowl vanity. We have simple recessed cabinets over each sink bowl, and these hold our personal toiletries. For our vanities, we used reduced depth kitchen sink cabinets and asked for a bottom drawer option. Tall bulky things fit nicely behind the cabinet doors, and the 5" deep bottom drawer holds towels or shallow trays for organizing personal items.

My husband and I are sharing this bathroom with our two teens while the master bathroom gets renovated. We've been pleasantly surprised to see how easily the room accommodates all of our needs.

Make sure you plan for function, but then choose fixtures you really love.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 12:12AM
crowinghen
Thank you for your post.
Do you have a picture or can you describe your bulkhead wall? Do you have a window in your shower-tub area? Thank you !
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 12:29AM
slewisoh
Will get one of my trusty teens to help with the photo. I know it's hard to envision this without a picture.

And no I don't have a window, but I do wish I had a natural light source in the room. Have to make lemonade out of this lemon and make us all wish we had a window in our shower!

Seriously, you definitely have to plan carefully for the window but I've read about others' experience with this on the gardenweb.com forums. Might be a good resource for you.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 12:47AM
slewisoh
This isn't my bathroom, but it's the inspiration photo I used. Our bathroom layout is virtually identical - yours would be the opposite wall.

Note the bulkhead wall with the recessed cabinet.

]
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 12:56AM
crowinghen
I love that! That's what I thought you were describing-, I just couldn't picture it. Thanks! It's very nice-- did you do the half door of glass too? If so I would love to get info on the installation. I really don't like shower curtains- it just grosses me out if they touch me.
I. too , have read positives about the system that they have now for windows in the shower- I looked into it a little last night.
so back to the picture, (and your bath) do you have additional storage, or is the vanity it?
thanks so much for posting the pic!
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 8:08AM
slewisoh
In addition to the bulkhead cabinet (which holds large shampoo bottles, tp, and some towels) we have simple 24x30 recessed cabinets over each sink bowl, and these hold personal toiletries for 4 people with plenty of room to spare. In fact, my husband and son together are using less than half of their allotted storage space!

For our vanities, we used reduced depth kitchen sink cabinets (36" finished height) and asked for a bottom drawer option. We also asked the plumber to have the supply lines come out from the back wall instead of through the floor of the cabinet. These choices minimized the impact of the sink plumbing on cabinet storage. The top third of each 30" wide base cabinet has two doors that open and tall bulky things like hairdryers and styling products fit nicely. The bottom third is comprised of a single 30" wide 5" deep drawer and the toe kick. The drawer can hold towels or shallow trays for organizing personal items. Our heat is directed through the toe kick, otherwise I would have chosen to have a drawer in the toe kick too. These weren't custom cabinets. They were simply available options that added a lot of value at a relatively small cost.

All of that being said, we were pretty diligent about eliminating unnecessary toiletry items. For example, instead of storing 15 different skin care products, I picked a cleanser, day moisturizer and night cream that I love then pitched the others. My daughter had to pick her favorite hair products and throw out all of the half used bottles she "sort of liked in certain situations." Things that are less frequently used (pedicure supplies, for example) are kept in a storage basket in the hall linen closet. It's like anything - you will fill whatever storage space is available to you.

There was no way we were going to use a partial glass enclosure, as water containment was our #1 priority. Nothing like water leaking through to the kitchen below to convince us a shower curtain was impractical for 2 kids. That's what I mean when I say function first. Do I love having bypass shower doors? No, but they were functionally critical for our family so I installed the nicest frameless model I could afford.

Hard to imagine completing a bathroom reno in a home with one bathroom. Hope you have alternative facilities available!
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 9:29AM
crowinghen
Lucky for us this is our beach house, so we don't have to live in it during the remodel! Plus there is a bathroom in the garage, so we are really set!
Thank you so much for all the help, it's gotten me started visualizing how it could be.
I want to take my time and get the finishes right, since I would like to keep the mid century vibe of the house. Hate to pull up the pink and white flooring with gold star bursts, but it has used up it's useful life :)
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 8:19AM
crowinghen
Here are some updated pictures- I can't imagine why the tub wouldn't drain...
0 Likes   July 14, 2013 at 2:43PM
William Roy Designer Kitchens
I'd start by hinging the the door the other way.
0 Likes   July 14, 2013 at 2:45PM
crowinghen
Here are some pics of the bathroom
0 Likes   July 14, 2013 at 2:47PM
crowinghen
more pics
0 Likes   July 14, 2013 at 2:51PM
crowinghen
more
0 Likes   July 14, 2013 at 2:54PM
crowinghen
continued, trial run of the cabinets, and I get an arch :)
0 Likes   July 14, 2013 at 2:58PM
crowinghen
not sure why i don't see all my pics---
0 Likes   July 14, 2013 at 3:07PM
crowinghen
and the hits just keep on coming
0 Likes   July 14, 2013 at 3:11PM
crowinghen
and then
0 Likes   July 14, 2013 at 3:14PM
slewisoh
The arch is great! Gives the space character. Can't wait to see the finished product. Makes sense to eliminate the bulkhead and center the tub on the window.
0 Likes   July 14, 2013 at 7:44PM
crowinghen
Thanks! we just didn't have enough space to justify off-setting the tub... More pics coming!
0 Likes   July 14, 2013 at 7:49PM
alwaysdesigning
I like your remodel so far. Much improved
0 Likes   August 10, 2013 at 9:23PM
crowinghen
Thank you here are so more updated pics- we still need a mirror and trim
1 Like   August 11, 2013 at 10:03PM
Rustica Hardware
If your interested in using barn door hardware or barn doors in this space take a look on our site we have many styles to choose from. See: http://rusticahardware.com/barn-door-hardware/
1 Like   August 12, 2013 at 4:43PM
brickln
Very nice!
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 5:24PM
Light In Art
We make Contemporary Stained Glass Lighting and Art and we have some pieces that would look great in your bathroom such as the Tulip and/or the Autumn Leaves or even the Galaxy. We customize size and color; visit our website at http://www.lightinart.com/ to see some options.
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 5:46PM
slewisoh
Didn't think people were supposed to pitch their products to you here! So roomy without that wall of pink cabinets. Arch is still my favorite element!
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 5:59PM
crowinghen
PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SPACE TO PROMOTE A PRODUCT!
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 6:08PM
crowinghen
Thank you for the kind words! I'm really happy with the way it's turning out
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 6:08PM
Ruth Early
Make everything white , clear thing at the back window , place a plant stand with a full green plant, keep towels accessories soft pale colors, But if you can rebuild the bathroom , Then I would move storage behind the door.
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 6:32PM
Rustica Hardware
If your thinking of using a barn door and want it to be quiet when opening at night consider a nylon wheel for your hardware. Nylon wheels are very durable and are the quietest on the market. See: http://rusticahardware.com/nylon-barn-door-hardware/
0 Likes   August 15, 2013 at 9:45AM
crowinghen
We just switched the original door around, we are not going to use a barn door, the door now opens to the right, into the wall where the pink cabinets were.
0 Likes   August 15, 2013 at 10:11PM
I am adding a bath & closet. Closet has awkward window & narrow
Set backs forced a design change . 3'4" doorway...
Carolyn Cole
Narrow half-bath transformed into narrow full bath
Our project house had been used as an office and had...
freetess
Entry windows ugly and feel awkward. HELP PLEASE!
Help Needed! What to do with the three windows around...
Teresa Vl
an ugly and awkward shaped master bathroom!
The previous owner did the bathroom ten years ago,...
Shani Moslehi
Paint, white wash, or completely cover my ugly awkward brick fireplace??? Help!
Since moving in to my house about 5 years ago, I have...
aowen222
What color should I paint my wall?
I want to paint my big empty white wall and kindly...
Hamid
need helps for my plain living room!
it is kind of plain. any suggestions?
James Heaps_Nelson
Need help for Kitchen - what should I do?
What should be done in my kitchen to get cosy athmosphere....
Rok
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
Best thing to happen at home in 2014?
Our homes are where our lives unfold. What was the...