What wall color would go with this kitchen?
trixietrujillo
I have dark concrete countertops, Mint Frost green cabinets, walnut cabinets, a dark grey and green backsplash and natural walnut flooring.

What color would keep this kitchen open and airy?
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
You know, I think you must really love mint green, for you to be so adventurous to invest in cabinets in that colour. I really like them too. To make the room feel unified with all the nooks and crannies becoming part of your beautiful new kitchen, I would use the same mint green on the walls. I didn't select a mint green to recommend because photographs can change the tone of paint, but please do match the cabinets. If you can't match exactly, then make the paint a slightly lighter tone.

Then I'd recommend a colour like Pittsburgh Paints 301-2 BIG SKY for the ceiling.

If you create a complete mint green environment, then your floor and your walnut cabinets and your concrete countertop will really be emphasized beautifully.

When you put a window treatment on the window over the sink, mount it about four inches above the level of your upper cabinets. That way you'll still see a fair amount of the window treatment even when the entire glass area is uncovered.

Cynthia
www.ctaylor-luce.com
ctaylorluce@cogeco.ca
September 1, 2012 at 9:32am     
trixietrujillo
Thank you for your suggestion. It's funny. I had NO idea how minty green this color was until the cabinets came it. I finally got used to it. I feel if I could go back in time I would of picked a more neutral color. But I have to work with what I have! I'm a little nervous to introduce more mint green. I need to figure out what color would be neutral and compliment this kitchen. I could see maybe a lighter tone green like you suggest. This kitchen has changed so much from what I had originally pictured. Color is a huge thing because I always mess it up! The color I have on the cabinets is from Valspur called Mint Frost. If you have anymore ideas! Please let me know!
September 1, 2012 at 12:11pm   
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Ah, too many people have neutral this and neutral that... I like it when people commit to a colour and follow it through! If you don't pick the minty green, then the green will be even more emphasized by comparison with the contrasting walls. By going all the way with the green, you're neutralizing it and switching attention to the walnut features. I suggested a light blue ceiling to give you that little bit of extra colour you're looking for.

It's only paint! Try it and live with it and I'm sure you'll see the beauty of it. Bring in other colours in artwork and accessories and the mint green will be your beautiful background--very much like you're in the woods, with the light filtering through the leaves. Sounds very romantic, doesn't it?
September 1, 2012 at 2:57pm     
trixietrujillo
Wow. That sounds pretty interesting. I hope it can read how we are both meaning it to read. I love the idea! The thing is, I have to have my entire ceiling the same color as the living room because it is an open floor plan. You don't think a hue of blue may clash? What do you think of a light baby grey/blue?
This is great!
September 1, 2012 at 3:37pm   
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Let's have a look at your living room. If you want, you can send it to ctaylorluce@cogeco.ca and I'll respond from there.
September 1, 2012 at 7:03pm   
zenhome
I would consider hiring a colour consultant or check with your local paint store whom often have colour experts on staff to help with colour choices. Please don't paint the ceiling blue - it would look off!!
September 1, 2012 at 9:16pm   
sharleeg
Contemporary Kitchen design by Little Rock Interior Designer Tobi Fairley Interior Design

Look at this lovely kitchen with green cabs, dark wood and light cream paint..
September 2, 2012 at 1:41pm   
sharleeg
whoops ,sorry, where did my link go? Anyway, you can look on that site by Fairley!
September 2, 2012 at 1:42pm   
Need help for our Living/Family Room in San Clemente, CA
My wife and I recently purchased our first house, but...
Coffee Table Choice
My husband fell in love with this chest. He wants to...
Stair runner - thoughts?
Hi - I would love some feedback on this runner. The...
Need helping choosing exterior door color for my 1940's cape remodel
Hi! I am renovating a 1940's cape and we just replaced...
Fireplace wall design/styling help needed
I need help! What can I do to improve the look of this...