Any suggestions on how to turn this bed into a surf shack,tiki hut or beach cottage ?
levityler
August 31, 2012 in Photo Questions
My daughter has this bed but it is pink with green trim she is getting older and we are doing a beach theme room .My husband refuses to get rid of the bed and she wants me to repaint etc.the bed to make it go with the beach theme. Please help!
I think you paint the walls a nice blue-green such as SW6477 Tidewater. The ceiling gets a few clouds. The house surrounding the bed should be painted white with light turquoise shutters and pale lime trim. On the shelves, you can place seashells and a snorkeling mask. Bedding in lower bed should be a pale lime with pillows of light turquoise. Reverse the colors on the upper bed. Change the window covering to the light lime color. Paint house numbers on the house that reflect your daughter's birthday. Have vines growing up sides of house. Put a bikini on the dressmaker's dummy in back corner of room. Hang a small shell covered mirror on wall in lower bed alcove.
August 31, 2012 at 7:39pm     
gingerclaire
The first thing I thought of when I read your piece was English beach huts. Try a Google image search for "beach huts Southwold", they have a wide variety of beautiful vivid colours, and may help as inspiration. I think you could quite easily convert the bed into a beach hut...
August 31, 2012 at 8:00pm     
Merry Powell Interiors
The main things that need to go are the pink and all the flowers. I would try to find a quilt or coverlet that is in keeping with your theme, then pull a color from it for the walls. I did a vintage Hawaiian room for a teen-age girl once and her walls were mango orange, but any tropical color will work. Then paint the entire surf shack in a bamboo beige color. The shutter could be a deeper brown painted with a faux wood grain. A painted (or real) surfboard could replace the hollyhocks going up the side of the bookcase. Finally, order a couple of "grass skirt" table skirts from Oriental Trading Company. Staple them along the roof so that the edge of the grass drapes over the front edge like a tiki roof. Replace the draperies with simple linen panels with a beaded curtain in place of the sheers. The panels could hang on a bamboo rod. Flower leis or shell necklaces could serve as tie-backs.

You did a beautiful job with your "little girl" room, so I am sure the new theme will be lovely. Have fun with it and remember, childhood is fleeting. It's wonderful that you are allowing your daughter to express herself in her space. Good for you. She is a lucky girl.
August 31, 2012 at 8:01pm     
Sheila Rich Interiors, LLC
I don't blame your husband for not wanting to get rid of the bed, my client's little girl loves her room and so do her friends when they sleep over. Creating a beach theme is a great way to transition from "tween to teen" . Your pink bed is fine and it will be a good backdrop for tropical flowers with lots of teal, lime and mango. Paint the shutters teal and the keep the moldings at the roof line of the bed white and crisp. Echo your newly added floral colors in the fabrcs you select for bedding and draperies. You and your daughter will have fun shopping for the accessories that compliment her new shore theme bedroom .
Enjoy every moment of sharing this project with your daughter.
September 1, 2012 at 5:35am     
Merry Powell Interiors
It was so late when I commented last night, that I totally missed that the room in the picture was not the room in question. I actually thought, "Wow, This is obviously a professionally done room. Why don't they have their designer do the conversion from "Pretty in Pink" to "Surf Shack"?

@ Sheila Rich Interiors - You created a fantasy bedroom for your client's little girl. I'm sure it is the envy of all her friends.
September 1, 2012 at 6:26am     
I, too, overlooked the fact that the gorgeous little girl's room in the picture was not that of levityler. Well done, Sheila Rich!
September 1, 2012 at 6:30am     
gingerclaire
levityler can you post a picture of the room in question?
September 1, 2012 at 6:33am     
Sheila Rich Interiors, LLC
Thank you so much for your kind words. Little Brianna loves her room and it warms my heart.
September 1, 2012 at 7:26am     
levityler
Thanks so much for your advice! I am trying to upload a pic of macies room with her bed right now. I'm having technical difficulties at the moment. And my husband thanks you too!
September 1, 2012 at 12:42pm   
pcmom1
How old is your daughter? I ask because I keep imagining her hitting her head getting out of bed! Just an idea: if and when she doesn't want her bed there, perhaps a desk could be inserted in its place.

My daughter had the same theme 10 years ago (time flies!). I went to Michael's and purchased a palm tree stamp and some paint and stamped along the wall next to the ceiling. That was a whole lot of work!

One thing that really added to the feel was a palm in the room and some grasses. I used real grasses that you buy from the garden center: the ones that look like beach grass and put a few large pots around the room. Add some glass floats, netting, beach chair, large shells and coral for the shelves, and on and on.

For repainting over the flowers, probably just a little sanding. Then look online for a muralist or an art student to paint you something. Or you can go with the worn look (salt air does damage!) and hang some netting, shells, floats over the area. This is a very fun theme to run with!
September 1, 2012 at 4:41pm   
msheesley
Look at Pottery Barn for Kids or Pottery Barn teens. They have great girl surfer themes. Looking at them can probably give you some really great ideas. I love the colors and styles they have. I would maybe add some Rafia around the roof line to make it look like a tiki hut.
September 1, 2012 at 5:32pm     
furrytoes
Maybe you could make an inspiration board with your daughter. Then she can look for photos of the kinds of things and colors she would like in her room. Keep the inspiration board in her room, even if you just tape it to the back of the door. If you decide to paint designs on the "beach house", consider stencils (there are many sources online). And have fun sharing the planning process with your daughter!
September 1, 2012 at 8:44pm   
selenavaz
Maybe you could pain the bed with colorful flowers and make it like a Hawaiian shack. You can keep the base pink and do that and it will still look great. It will save you the trouble of a complete re paint and you can have a total beach theme to your daughters room with a Hawaiian shack in the middle.
September 2, 2012 at 12:54am   
levityler
Thanks all for the wonderful ideas pc mom asked how old my daughter is and she is nine.You all have given me some amazing ideas! It is very much appreciated!
September 2, 2012 at 6:19am   
wiltshirewhaley
Great idea to turn the little house bed into a surfing theme. Start by painting the walls a sea green/blue. The "surf shack" bed could have signs posted with signs like "SURFS UP". You might consider taking out the shelves and putting a full sized surf board in their place, if you keep the shelves then lean a surf board next to the shack. Natural fiber bedding and vintage surfing posters on the wall like "Endless Summer".
September 2, 2012 at 6:46am     
irisporter
Pottery Barn Kids has a new Tree Fort Bed with a surf type theme you could look at for inspiration. It's done in boy colors, but easy to picture in girl colors. PBK usually carries a line of surf bedding for boys and girls in the summer. If there's none in stock now, check ebay.
September 2, 2012 at 7:36am   
preciousbritten
Grass roof (hula skirt material)!! I immediately thought "Lilo & Stitch" when I saw this post.
September 2, 2012 at 8:33am     
Michelle Petit
Painting (or glue on!) large palm tree leaves near the top trim (around the roof and windows), turn the corners into the trunks of said trees.Sand colored rug under the bed, pain the bottom of the bed sand as well, maybe with some seashells and a surf board or two "leaning" against it (don't be afraid to paint in some shadows for more realism!).

I hope you get the idea. This could be really cool! I love that bed, it's gorgeous!
September 2, 2012 at 8:45am     
kennedytarheel
key west house colors!
September 2, 2012 at 9:42am   
debvath
My daughter has thins same bed her grandpa made for her. It was pink and white. We are turning it into a barn. She has 2 horses so it would be fitting!
September 2, 2012 at 1:27pm     
niamunchkins
First Idea Tiki Theme:
Paint bed-house: Beige or tropical ( If room is Turquoise paint Coral, vice versa ).
Cover roof: with grass skirts (Somehow)
Bedspread: Tropical flowers
Room Color: Bright Turquoise, Coral
Ceiling: Light blue with white clouds.
Curtains: White, breezy or seagull print
Rug: Roughly woven with white rope
Deco: hang some fishing nets, add shells and a surfboard print or painting instead the long line of flowers seagull toys or sculptures hanging from ceiling :)

Second Idea Nautical:
Bed-House: Paint Bright blue with light yellow trim(Shutters and white part) and roof, or vice versa depending on room color
Bedspread: Large Stripes pattern, anchor pattern or sailboat pattern
Room Color: Pale or Bright blue, Buttery light yellow---Maybe even blue stripes!
Ceiling: Keep white or a super pale blue
Curtains: White breezy cloth or large striped curtains
Rug: Plain white
Deco: White seashells, starfish, hang white fishing nets, fill glass vases with sand and shells, hang painting of the sea, maybe a aquarium on desk (If that desk is white you should keep it! Cant tell in pic)

Whew! That took a long time! :)
have fun decorating!!! :)
September 2, 2012 at 1:43pm   
Ann Smitt
Such wonderful ideas everyone. First paint the bed with low voc primer. Make a design board with your daughter, cut out pictures of Beach Cottages on the Atlantic Coast (choose your color palatte by which cottage color she gravitates too), go to a local beach and pick up some beach glass, shells, sharks teeth?, to add another texture to her room and shelves etc. Go to flea markets or garage sales for used boogie boards to make shelves out of or to hang on the walls as ART. Go to Home Depot or other paint store with your beach cottage photo to do a color match. Paint your daughter's new beach cottage. Paint the walls a light shade of sea glass or of a summer sky. Have fun with this. Enjoy.
September 2, 2012 at 1:49pm   
tsudhonimh
First, define your beach:
Tropical Tahitian or Hawaiian?
Southern California Surfer?
New England?
Puerto Vallarta?

The main problem with the bed would be the cutesy flowers - a good primer and paint will take care of it.
September 2, 2012 at 3:00pm     
Sassy McFattypants
we have a tiki back yard. the first thing I thought of when I saw that bed was thatch roofing, put it on the roof of the house. Next perhaps cover the rest in reed fencing (we are so on a budget its not funny so we do alot of things DIY) next where the angles in the bed are, attach bamboo poles:) I LOVE tiki. Then hit the dollar store for "tiki" decorations, there are TONS there. Here is a pic of my tiki bar/hut (which by the way, we found on Craigslist for 100 bucks) Came with all the thatching and everything. Also you may want to consider hanging beach balls from the ceiling or covering lampshades with them.
September 2, 2012 at 4:29pm     
Sassy McFattypants
oh btw, we have since trimmed the thatch and its much more uniform, and we also got the umbrella cover as well:) But yea, we LOVE this.
September 2, 2012 at 4:30pm   
Sassy McFattypants
and those beach huts... SUPER CUTE!
September 2, 2012 at 4:31pm   
babyclams
Another thing you might consider is doing a focal wall with wavy stripes of say turquoise and green or blue to look like the waves of the ocean!
September 2, 2012 at 10:09pm     
valleymom7
If you decide to use a real surfboard in the decor, try Craigs List for an inexpensive one.
September 3, 2012 at 12:56am   
leneda
Thatch the roof, palms instead of flowers. walls ocean blue or sky blue. Trim out the house in any color that is beachy (see the pic from Gingerclaiare). I might do brighter yellow with maybe blue or white trim. the shutters can stay, blue or green tinted lights in the foot holes. Work in a surf board somplace. Perhaps attached tot he front of her closet door. The desk can stay white but maybe trim it out with nautical or surf themed knobs and handles. change the seat cushion. Cloth or basket bins for a couple of the cubbies. Carpet the color of sand. If there is room, I would add a couple of chaise lounge beach chairs for her and her BFF to sit and dream in.
September 3, 2012 at 4:43am     
I would caution you not to spend too much time and moneyon redoing this bedfor your 9 year old daughter that your husband insists you keep awhile longer. In another year or so your daughter is very likely to become embarassed by having the bed from her much younger days still hanging around and want a very different look. If you've invested a lot of hours and dollars on the bed, it will create a bad situation.
September 3, 2012 at 7:02am     
uhoh_busted
I would paint the house a driftwood gray-beige, maybe even painting in lines to denote planks. Trim it in her chosen beach cottage color...love that photo gingerclaire provided as inspiration. Paint the shelf units in color...like blue for the back of the unit with green shelves, or what ever colors she wants. To find graphics to replace the flowers, look for folk art mermaids or sea themes. Avoid Cartoons. You could hang a long mirror on the side framed in seashells. Having had a 9-year old going on 15, you may want to go a bit more sophisticated, so it could last until she is 12 or so.
September 3, 2012 at 7:55am   
pcmom1
Carolyn Albert is likely 99 % correct. At age nine, you can probably count on only a couple of years before your daughter will want a complete redo. So, have fun with your redo, but keep that in mind!

I have been looking at your bed and wondering about when that time comes: is there a younger child to pass it on to? If a boy, could do pirate: might want to go with driftwood color in that case!

Other than that, I see it turned into a seriously fun playground for my three cats (carpet the roof with a way to climb up), Or painted with protective paint, and placed into a fantasy area of your garden (I have one), or donated to a church for the little ones, or to acharity event as a fund raising prize...just saying the day is coming when another use will be needed!
September 3, 2012 at 8:11am     
Custom Storage Solutions
Whatever theme you go with, don't forget the background. When I design a theme garage I like to use wall murals. www.muralsyourway.com has a large selection of beach theme murals and the staff is great to work with. I have used them for years.
September 3, 2012 at 4:12pm     
summer_night5
What does the bed unit look like from the back against the wall? Could you turn it around and just turn it into a beach cottage with a sun roof?
September 3, 2012 at 5:57pm   
levityler
Good point carolyn Albert . She is our youngest of five and I am definitely trying to keep the cost low . Because all too soon it will be time to pass the bed on to another child.
September 3, 2012 at 6:22pm   
Recycling is such a wonderful thing!
September 3, 2012 at 6:52pm   
Amy Goldsmith
How old is your daughter and what's her inspiration for the theme ie: Pirates of the Caribbean, Little Mermaid, Soul Surfer? For tiki , you could cover the exterior of the bed with grass skirts, that would create a "secret cubby" below the foot holds, I would trim the grass for those. Get some colorful tiki faces, have an office supply store print them large enough and mounted on foam core to place at the back of the shelves creating a totem pole effect. Cute signage; Mermaid crossing, this way to the volcano etc. The upstairs window could be the gaol with some chains & shackles. Maybe a foam kickboard, surf board shape where the hollyhock is painted. White fabric wrapped inner tubes as life preservers/lounge chairs.
September 20, 2012 at 5:54pm   
levityler
She is 9 and what she has in mind is surf boards tiki hut etc.. Love the idea of the inner tube with white fabric as life preservers!I am really getting some awesome ideas!
September 20, 2012 at 6:47pm   
Arizona Roof Rescue
I say for a beach theme, you need to take an element of shipwrecked into it. I would recommend thatched roof as well, maybe a baby palm. I like the idea of using nautical canvas as well, perhaps you can set up a thatched roof with a draw cover using canvas and rope, then the other stuff is easy. We don't do a lot of decorating at http://arizonaroofrescue.com , but I am imagining shells, starfish, sand, surf and skate boards for the wall, maybe it is even time for a turtle as a pet.
September 26, 2012 at 10:06am   
lalabodi
Where can I buy the bed
January 20, 2013 at 6:31pm   
Bamboocreasian
Decorate bed with this style, I hope it useful..

February 14, 2013 at 10:19am   
Totally Kids fun furniture & toys
There are so many clever ideas and suggestions posted here. Please share your final makeover pictures! Anxious to see what you do. - Kelly
February 25, 2013 at 7:54am   
Tanglewood Design
Here is an idea from Tanglewood Design - www.playhousedesigns.com. We'll design something just for your room.
March 12, 2013 at 1:02pm     
Tanglewood Design
These are some preliminary drawings we are working on for a client right now.
March 13, 2013 at 8:27am     
Jessyei Sills
can u email me these please miss_pigggy69@yahoo.com
April 3, 2013 at 11:16am   
Tanglewood Design
They should be in you inbox. Thanks
April 3, 2013 at 1:55pm   
soobadoo
My first thought was that dad is resisting his baby girl growing up. A child's room should be allowed to evolve with the needs of the child.
September 20, 2013 at 9:49am   
David Manning Architecture
Well, the arch of the window could be the beginning of a large size wave graphic wrapping around all walls, with clouds above the wave and little fishies below the wave and sand and coral and sea anemonies on the bottom....all of that just painted onto the walls...and there are rugs now that resemble little stones...and bird mobiles...and sound installation of waves and sea gulls...
January 20, 2014 at 5:12pm   
Julie Balke
Some of the home stores, dollar stores, etc., have very real looking palm trees in different sizes. Many of them are lit with tiny white led lights. Couldn't hurt the atmosphere no matter what kind of beach you're creating. On one wall, you could create a beach. Make a wainscoting height make a sandy part with browns, beiges, or creams for a "sugar beach," roughening the surface with a thinned out grout or similar. Then paint the ocean and let it fade into the horizon and sky, using sunny day colors of sky blues or sunset colors like pink purple
And gold. Some fish net on the beach or real sharks teeth glued on might also be interesting and something she could help do. I think at that age, the like to be involved and feel more like they own it.
March 1, 2014 at 7:09pm   
Robbi
The easiest transformation would be to convert your pink cottage look bed to a cape cod look. Pale grey blue with white shutters for the bed structure (look up pics of cape code houses). Get the surfer look with accessories. A real or faux surfboard is essential, but there are plenty of options like old fashioned buoys, life rings, etc that will add to the look. I would stick with the cape cod color scheme throughout the room and add and a FEW accessories but don't overdo it, because it can quickly look too kitchy.
April 20, 2014 at 6:50pm   
David Manning Architecture
How about palm tree stencils? Stencil the dickens out of walls and ceiling
April 21, 2014 at 8:19am   
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Need advice on lighting for kitchen remodel
I'm remodeling my kitchen -keeping the white tile flooring;...
Trying to figure out layout of Mako tiles in bath Reno
Have finally secured access to all 5 mako tiles that...
Placement of art
Would like your opinion. I have some bird panels that...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...