How do I make this better?

sramseySeptember 1, 2012
There will be an attached garage where the deck is. How do I make the rest look better. We will be residing. I would like to add some stone also. But not sure where.
Great house; windows not so... You have a nice farmhouse and someone did something bad to the windows. I love how the roofline attaches to the barn. Could you make the garage look more like this?

South Facade · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 12:42PM
sramsey
I was planning to add a gable over the front door but worried it won't be symetrical with the other peaks. I hate the window placement too but the interior remodel trumped the exterior window placement. Would it look odd to add a pergola over the windows even if there is already a porch?
    Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 12:53PM
Yes.

Here is another pix with windows a bit more like yours. I love the yard which is very much your yard. In both pix the screened in section is very welcoming.

Crosslake · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 12:56PM
I am afraid there are many things 'wrong' with the exterior. Window sizes are not scaled correctly are design. Front door is too contemporary for the style. Porch deck post and base are also in bad shape.

Horse Farm · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 3:05PM
sramsey
I wish I would've hired an architect from the beginning of the remodel (the interior is almost done) but we live in the sticks. The closest architect is 100 miles. Lesson learned... don't remodel, build.
    Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 3:29PM
kjstem
I don't know how much you have remodeled around the front door/porch area, but why don't you consider enclosing the porch. If you did this you could make an "entrance way" inside. You could also put the door at the midline of the peak and make it more proportional. There would then be room for shutters around the new windows. Just a thought ..
    Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 6:58PM
Kris McDaris_Byars
Hi. I've been playing with your house in my paint program - added the things you mentioned, plus a bay window to balance out the side opposite the garage. Perhaps this will help you figure out what you want.
11 Likes    Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 8:40PM
harperc
I don't think I would attach a garage directly to this house. If you have the room instead I would build the garage as a separate structure and attach it to the house with a portico or covered walkway - this would preserve the porch and add interest.

The sidewalk out front inspired some landscape ideas initially -- however the left part of the Y shaped walk seems to lead nowhere - I would consider putting in a stone walkway in it's place using stone that compliments but doesn't match exactly with the stone facade you plan to use on the house. That Y shaped spot the sidewalk creates is a great spot for an ornamental tree some thing that will gt no more than 10 or 12 feet tall.

There are many ways the window issue on the front can be addressed. The Least expensive would be with landscaping structures like pergola and trellis work. To the obvious -- replacement of the windows or addition of new windows....not knowin that's on the interior makes it hard to say what your best move is here.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 5:23AM
alamac
Consider adding a small ornamental tree to the left corner to add some weight to the left side of the house. The sidewalk would look better taking out the Y and curving a new stone sidewalk to the front door. Landscaping would help balance the front and foundation. A stone foundation would be nice. I wouldn't attach the garage, especially if that means removing the porch. It looks as if there used to be a second window on the left front. If the interior allows for it, a bay window or set of double windows would be nice, as well as replacing the large picture window near the front door so they match better in scale and style. You have a nice farmhouse style home!
    Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 7:23AM
Designs by Linda
You need to unify the windows. Make the picture window two double hung. I would change windows to white ones with maybe top grills. Reside the house in white ,roof looks OK. Leave porch on but clean up the look take deck off ,make porch under the overhang with some nice simple columns ,wooden floor. I agree do not attach the garage make a free standing with breezeway attached to porch. Change walkway & landscape.
    Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 7:36AM
Renaissance Home Staging
James harding has a very nice siding. (It does not rot, or absorb mildew) You could use their shingled siding on the top of the house and on the porch,-- and their regular siding on the side front facing the street. . What you might want to consider is adding a beautiful flower box under the window in the center of the house, --- and border the bottom of the house with low lying colorful/green bushes.

I could see a beautiful Bisque color, with a lighter color trim. Using flower boxes, and shrubs will give the "pop" folks want, it frames the house, and it adds color. Add some great old rocking chairs, or wicker chairs, and voila!
    Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 9:39AM
Renaissance Home Staging
You may want to add some charming farm style lighting on each side of the front as well.
    Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 9:51AM
anniefarrell
I would also not attach a garage directly. I think that since the outside is a bit patchy, I'd paint the wood a dark colour--slate/taupe to make it recede and add a heavier, bright white trim. (and a bright door--light blue or green?) I'd also plant a lovely garden against the wall with the crazy windows--something with height on either side of the windows so your eye is not drawn to the varying levels of the windows, and plant something like hydrangea all along the porch area. The big, clear windows make me think that the inside is a bit modern, so bring that outside with heavier posts for the porch, (small posts look cheap) scrap the cheap lattice and build a more open lattice and weightier or more porch spindles. If you could, I'd scrap the walkway and put a field stone walkway up to the door.
    Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 10:59AM
sramsey
Kris, where were you about 2 years ago? Thank you for that drawing of my house with different windows. After seeing the different window styles I may have to change out the porch windows and the larger of the upper level windows. (Even though it's completely redone on the inside.) I am unable to change the left lower windows because that's where the new kitchen went.
I love the idea of adding shingled siding on the top and porch.
    Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 11:20AM
sramsey
Yes, the inside is a bit modern. Trying to mix country farm house with modern just isn't working.
    Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 11:33AM
Kris McDaris_Byars
sramsey- you're welcome. :) Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 11:41AM
danalee1969
one reader thought front door was too contemporary, I think you can make it work. You should have a look at rauser design and it's springdale farmhouse, I think that would give you some good ideas, for mixing modern and farmhouse. Modern Exterior design by Austin Architect Rauser Design
    Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 9:20PM
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Make the Pathway Attractive .with Pavers .
    Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 9:28PM
sramsey
Just a comment about the garage. Unfortunately I live in a climate where I need an attached garage. So that has been the dilemma for many years... how to add a garage without it looking odd. Unfortunately I have to keep the door so I need to mix the modern look with the farmhouse look.
I appreciate all the comments. It's all been very helpful.
    Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 7:51AM
lilion
I hope you don't mind a completely amateur suggestion to make things look better short-term, until you get to replacing windows? Looking at your small windows I was thinking if you put window boxes under them with matching shutters, it would make them all have a visually larger impact..
    Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 9:07AM
danalee1969
Just curious on the orientation of your house?
    Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 9:44AM
sramsey
Orientation? Did you mean origination?
    Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 11:02AM
I suspect danalee was asking about the directional orientation--i.e. Is the front of the house (from the photo we are viewing) facing North, South, East or West?
    Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 11:06AM
danalee1969
yes to feeny, that is what I meant. Wondering is the deck/garage getting north, west, east or south sun? Plus back to your modern, farmhouse look..have you thought about making your garage a little more modern, then your front door would tie in the modern garage to the house. I do like your small windows, and the suggestion of white grills. Make sure you check out that Rauser design project, Sprindale farmhouse, they have a picture window just like yours on a farmhouse.
    Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 12:18PM
sramsey
The front of the house is west. The garage would be on the south. I liked how Kris (above) make the garage with the doors on the side. Something I had never considered.
    Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 1:07PM
danalee1969
Kris' garage door does look good. I am assuming your garage on the south side is the best choice for you? Village farmhouse by birdseye design is another pic to look at for ideas and possibilities.
    Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 1:54PM
sramsey
I found a great online design site that lets you upload a picture of your house and change the exterior design. www.exteriorportfolio.com
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 7:38PM
sramsey
Sorry for the bad image but here is one design.
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 8:08PM
sramsey
Another design.
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 8:14PM
help how can i make this exterior look better?
How can i balance the front of this house?
vitamixbob
Need help with entry steps!
I made a mistake and quickly had to make a decision...
kriesenbec
How to make room...well how to make this room work better
I'm having struggles on pulling this room together....
meganbeaver15
How can I make this look better ? It looks horrible
Do the colors work ? Should I change the walls color...
hanoof83
Family Room Help
Need help with furniture placing. Also, advice on how...
gstripling
Need help designing decagon kitchen/dining room
We have a completely new decagon shaped room with each...
jbwnaw
In Serious Need of Curb Appeal
Hi, Our house is in desperate need of some curb appeal....
lhoffie
Does this room work?
Trying to get this dining room/ small sitting room...
natanddan
Need help with furniture styles
We just built our retirement home on Camano Island,...
wndywmn
Sponsored Products
Feiss Salinger 12" High Double Glass Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Lyndhurst Zen Gardens Brown Rug (5'3 x 7'6)
Overstock.com
Hollister Wall Sconce by Quoizel
$149.99 | Lumens
Black Picture Lights: Cathrine 1 Light 31 in. Black Display Light CLI-DN14500029
Home Depot
Java Herringbone Flatweave Rug 8' x 10' - BROWN/BLACK
$2,559.00 | Horchow
Gina Office Chair in Pink
$66.00 | LexMod
Roll Out Trays
CliqStudios Cabinets
Cityscape Black Square 9-Inch Wall Sconce with Frosted Glass
$85.31 | Bellacor