What color stain was used on these floors? Are they antique heart pine? What grade?
productgirl
September 1, 2012 in Photo Questions
Group 3
We don't typically specify by grade, but work with a supplier to find (in this case) a recycled source. This came from an old textile mill in South Carolina. It's very knotty heart pine with lots of nail holes and other blemishes. There's no stain applied, but the finish does deepen the color somewhat.
September 3, 2012 at 7:00am   
Holgan Land Surveying, PC
My home is 130 years old, I live in a coastal village on Long Island. I'm in the process of having the floors refinished, they are Southern Pine, 5 inch or so width. The company that I'm using is amazing.. today is day 3 that they are still sanding, scraping along edges, tightening where they feel boards are springy, it's single flooring throughout the house, and filling the gaps. This part I wasn't completely sure If I wanted because the gaps really do give the floor that old world look, but I had to be realistic. I do have 2 small yorkie dogs that will urinate now and then, and it really bothers me to think that its seeping into the cracks, so I decided to have them filled. The big question now, is how to finish the floor. He has given me 3 different finish choices. A semi gloss poly, a varnish that will have a high gloss, or a varnish / tong oil that would be rubbed into the floor. It will first have a clear finish/stain (no color), applied, then one of the 3 choices. I really don't know what to do, or the maintanance that is involved. I will attach some photos.
October 17, 2012 at 6:44pm   
Group 3
We filled cracks in floor before and it generally doesn't last. It will last a while if you keep your house at a constant level of humidity and the floor doesn't move, but in the end, you'll have to remove/replace it. Heart pine is very soft and dogs will scratch it. I wouldn't trade my scratches, they're like wrinkles- a tale of a life lived.
October 29, 2012 at 8:05am     
Holgan Land Surveying, PC
Thank you, i'm not really concerned about scratches either, really but my dogs are only 4lbs so there not heavy enough to make scratches
October 29, 2012 at 5:05pm   
collage205
Did you say the color of the stain? I love it..
November 7, 2013 at 8:04pm   
Group 3
There is a stain on the floor but the wood is the most important thing... I think the stain is Rex "fruitwood".
November 8, 2013 at 6:27am   
Oak & Broad
Those look great! We make similar floors from reswan antique heart pine beams. The nail holes and oil marks just add to the character and let you know they are real floors and not some imported imposter :-)
November 8, 2013 at 9:15am   
Exterior Privacy Screen Dilemma
I've been lurking for quite a while, but finally have...
Would you try temporary wallpaper?
Our office has been discussing the value of temporary...
Does this dining table work with the kitchen?
Will the modern clean lines of this dark furniture...
Neon?
What type of lights can I use?
How to keep cost down building a home?
We are in the process of deciding if building is a...