Any ideas for a light over the sink?
charityscherubs
What do you think of the new lights in the Kitchen/Dining room?Should they be lower or higher? I am looking for a accent globe for the light above the sink. Any ideas? My curtain is going to be a taupe color and my accent color is rust.
HI --- Looking at the picture the room looks very busy - too many things hanging down . Find a fixture that is close to the ceiling like a surface mount pot light . They come in LED too. The whole room is very woodsy ... I can hardly tell where the cabinets end and the walls start. Have you given thought to painting the cabinets ??
September 20, 2012 at 7:53pm     
kazzabee
Agree with above comment... need some white or cream paint to break up the woodsy colouring... the island bench - i think it is? would look great a beige colour... think it would help break it up
need something quite plain for above the sink, definitely surface mounted.
September 21, 2012 at 3:43am   
creeser
I think your lights are a good height. If you can stand at your kitchen island and look over to your living room and the light doesn't obstruct your vision, it's good. Does the globe on your sink light match the other two fixtures? If so, I'd probably leave it. If not and you want something unique, what about a blown glass globe with some of the rust in it? Not solid, but on swirled with white maybe? Lowe's sells them and probably Home Depot as well.
September 21, 2012 at 4:43am   
Kim D
I would like to see your chairs at the island be painted black, they would match your ceiling beams and breakup all the woodsy look. Also just the pendant light over the table might be enough over the sink could be a single pendant or ceiling mount light.
September 21, 2012 at 9:01am     
Kay Gordon
I'd definitely keep the baby...ha ha ha
September 21, 2012 at 10:52am   
Might look at black from rustoleumtransformations.com for the chairs, island, and possibly cabinets. Lights are ok - 36" above table is standard or eye level of tallest person in the home. I think you could have done better on selecting the style of fixture for a cabin. These don't really tie in very well and that is why they stand out so much.
September 21, 2012 at 11:01am   
charityscherubs
How would a cool track style light look over the island? Would it look ok since it is a angled ceiling?
September 26, 2012 at 7:49am   
ubettpar
The comments about the room being too woodsy have missed the point of your home. It appears to be a log home, hence the woodsy feel. I found that by covering the left side of your photo, immediate calm came into your room. Your hanging lights became cozy the room gave a sigh. My suggestion would be to go appliance shopping. Your white appliances are disrupting. And the track above the appliance section of your room needs to be eliminated. Black or stainless appliances with can lighting in the ceiling above and perhaps a can light above your sink. If you need something on top of your cabinets, I would choose something shorter. The tall items seem too tall for the space and too many in number. You could add something dark to the counter top of the bar. Perhaps a large low basket for fruit or vegetables. Years ago I had a painter change a refrigerator color for me and he did a great job. Just an idea in case new appliances are not within your budget right now. However, I saw an ad for a great appliance sale at Sears and they do allow interest free payments. Good luck with whatever you decide.
September 26, 2012 at 8:52am     
charityscherubs
I would totally check into painting the appliances black and putting in some can lights. However would it make the white integrated sink stick out? The faucet is black. The dishwasher on that section is white or should that be black too?
September 26, 2012 at 9:09am   
charityscherubs
What should we do with the brown ceiling beams that need to be redone?
September 26, 2012 at 9:10am   
ubettpar
I wouldn't worry too much about the sink, it is submerged from view and not invasive from the other side of your room. The dishwasher is important and I would definitely make that black as well. There are panels that are available that can change the front of your dishwasher from white to black. In fact, there may be one behind your white panel. They often come that way. (check with an appliance store if not) Then you would only have to paint the kick panel if your control panel is black already. I also had some painting done at an auto body shop for a hard, baked-on finish. Those guys know what they are doing.
September 26, 2012 at 9:23am   
ubettpar
Your photo does not show any detail on the ceiling beams so it is difficult to say what needs to be done. I do like the fact that they are darker in color than the rest of your wood because that contrast is important. If you are going to redo them, making them wider might help.
September 26, 2012 at 9:38am   
curb appeal
What can I do to add more curb appeal?
Paint available in the uk
Can anyone advise on shades of white paint that would...
Have you used Ikea cabinets in your kitchen?
I am smack dab in the middle of a kitchen remodel and...
Best 3D design software
Can anyone recommend a good 3d design software package...
Should we do it??
Now hear me out - I'm not a fan of garage conversions...