i need help with my kitchen

thereikiroomSeptember 5, 2012
my kitchen is plain cream and black granite with copper flecks worktops and floor tiles.im scared of colour and dont know what would bring the wow factor to this kitchen i dont want over the top but not understated either. i need colour splashback tiles and paint inspiration perhaps some window pelmets, the room is south facing and very bright during the day..i would be so gratefull for any advice and inspiriation.thank you.
donnaschich
maybe add some bold red and green flower arrangements.... it would be just a pop ... but also "OHHHH" worthy too... maybe some roses and green hydrangeas
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 5:39PM
Tabitha Myers Interior Design
Backsplash and grey walls would look great!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 5:41PM
Jessica Grant
Adding a glass mosaic tile backsplash will really make a difference, and they come in a variety of colors (usually neutrals paired with one bolder color). Another option is a ceramic subway tile with a strip of glass to reduce costs. Adding some colorful pieces in the glass cabinets might look nice, too. Depending on the walls in the room, doing a colored accent wall would be great so there isn't so much white.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 5:42PM
Heidi Gassel
What a great space to work with! I would paint the walls a warm tuscan color, add wood beams to the ceiling to add attention to the high ceilings along with a beautiful copper tinted glass uplit chandelier. I would also open up some of the cabinets with glass openings, light them and depending on budget I would change out the white cabinetry. Adding uplights to the tops of the cabinets will add interest and you can highlight large glassware and plants. You could also add some moulding to the cabinetry if budget is an issue and add great knobs. For the glass table you could add some lighting from inside of the table pointing UP. This will really add pizzaz. And, you could paint the black chairs a copper color with a rustoleum type of paint. I agree that a beautiful sparkly colorful backsplash would do wonders. There are some spectacular choices out there. And, when you're done...please post pics!
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 5:42PM
AMN
I'd bring a very serene color into the mix, paint-wise, to set off the cabinets.
Backsplash could help finish off the look of your kitchen and give you a chance to incorporate some texture. You could take a cue from your table's base.

Color wise- because it's so white in there, you just need a touch of color to liven things up.
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/duskyblue

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/windysky

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/colonygreen

And remember, paint is easily changeable.
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 5:45PM
Donna Perch
I'd start slowly to add color and see what you like. Seat cushions, placemats, napkins, tablecloth, centerpiece, etc.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 5:47PM
houssaon
It seems you like siver with your black and white.

Here is a metal blackspash that would add pop to you kitchen with a little bling:
Donna Dufresne · More Info
Here is another gorgeous example:
kitchen · More Info

If you want to add color stay with cool greens or blues since you face south:
Assadi · More Info
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 5:49PM
Dawn Heinemann
I agree with AMN about starting with paint - it's the easiest and cheapest way to introduce color into the room - and the easiest and cheapest way to change the color if you don't like it! You have such a clean slate to start with...you could take color cues from another room, or just go with your favorite color!

If I were you I would start with a few samples, then paint the area from the counters to the bottom of the upper cabinets and live with it for a while. Remember that the paint will look different at different times of the day, so take a few days to see how you feel about it.

If you love the paint color...you can look for backsplash tiles in a similar color later on. Choosing the wrong color tile can be a costly mistake!

If that were my kitchen, I would try a buttery yellow or apple green...

Best of luck!
Dawn
1 Like    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 5:50PM
HI -- Your kitchen looks real nice . Just adding a backsplash is all it needs . There is so much out there to choose from , but maybe something not used so much like a penny round tile , something that is mmostly white witn some black and flicks of copper in it . Or use a subway tile with a pencil tile accent in a black or silver . But the backsplace will be the crowning touch. Then just add a few accent items in a color you like.
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 5:51PM
mzlove
yep, very sterile looking but so much potential! I've had a fear of color also. I found that I could ease into using color by going with soft, muted shades of my favorite colors. I'd first pick out a beautiful glass/stone tile backsplash that brings out the copper flecks in your countertop. Then select whatever color family you like (a muted soft green would be nice). Change out your cabinet handles to something in the copper/bronze family. (also change your clock to something similar). Beautiful clock but not right here. You could show off a beautiful collection of colorful pottery or glass above your cabinets also. What you have is too small for the space. a few colorful accessories on the counter top and it would be beautiful! Love the table!
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 5:52PM
Melanie Brown
Start with accessories- they're easy to change if you hate the color. I can definitely see yellow and red or (apple) green in this room. I love bowls ( or colanders, baskets, etc) full of fruit for their color. Flowers are also great- natural things tend to be less jarring. Colorful towels, plates (on the wall) are easy ways to add colors. I know you said you didn't want understated color, but if you're afraid of color, you can use a calmer color for most of your accents and bright pops of color. I often use fabric as color inspiration, so maybe you could start by finding a fabric to recover your chairs. Wander the fabric stores until you find something you love, and go from there. Happy decorating!
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 5:52PM
thompsto
I'm a red and yellow person. Think about a warm color you like and go with a toned down version.
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 5:56PM
KL InIdaho
I think orange-red mottled subway tile for the backsplash would warm everything up. Then you can add red-orange pieces in small doses as you go.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 5:59PM
Vito Villa
Many agree that backsplash and accessories are way to go. Reupholster the seats and add placemats. I would not paint the cabinets.
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 5:59PM
anitajoyce
Your kitchen does look tuscan. Especially the table set. The room looks and feels cold. It needs a warm feel. lovely Kitchen. I would paint the walls a Tan color and use subway tiles in a lighter tan color (maybe in the texture of table base) to accent it all. . Change the single candle to either a grouping of candles or a vase of flower. I also agree with reupholstering the chairs as mentioned by others.
AMN
BTW: your kitchen question has been posted on Houzz.com's Facebook Page Wall.
http://www.facebook.com/houzz
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 6:11PM
Jennifer Alembik
paint the back splash, add a rug under the table and accessorize above the cabinets. Quick, inexpensive fix:-) Good Luck!
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 6:16PM
babs22
Choose whatever colors make you feel good and that you look good in when dressing. Use those colors for backsplash, paint on the walls if you like, or artwork there. Cover the chairs and make a table runner with the same material, in a color to complement the backsplash. A hose-off kitchen carpet is always charming.
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 6:44PM
home improvement specialties
Pick two of your favorite colors, add throw rugs, covers for your chairs, a cookie jar and some display items (in those colors) for above the cabinets. Maybe paint your cabinet knobs one or both of those colors also. Add a vase of flowers (in those colors). Use different patterns and textures, and feel totally free to add some items that are one shade up or down from your base colors (adds depth). Placemats and napkins, again in one or both colors. The thing is balance :)
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 6:45PM
babzie933
I LOVE your table and chairs! What about a nice warm copper color for one or two of the large walls to pick up the copper flecks in the counter top? And I love artwork in the kitchen - a beautiful large print on a wall in the eating area would be beautiful and could introduce some complimentary colors to use for dinnerware, placemats, centerpiece, etc. Good luck and please share the results with us!
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 6:56PM
cyn222
Since you are afraid of color, opt for a light cool gray to go with the tones already in the room. Then play up the art with bold colors. Make the accessories pop the color, so you can also change it out if you want to try something new for the seasons. Homes with white walls may seem plain and boring, but it allows you to make your furnishing stand out. Recovering the chair seats is an easy thing to do. Throw some pops of color there as well. Take the clock and spray it a new color to pop even more. Pick one or two of your favorite colors and bring them into the room. What do you normally choose for clothing? Since you are starting with all neutral colors, anything goes! Someone can pop lime green and purple and create an amazing modern room, someone else could add more brown and green tones and create a modern earthy feel. Make artwork large and vivid!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 7:08PM
A Renewed Perspective LLC
I have a lot of cream and black in my kitchen and pop it with red. I understand you don't want something too over the top and I have seen shades of Merlot/burgundy that are very pretty - It doesn't hurt your eyes from too much pow and certainly is not understated. There are so many colors you could do but I'm thinking a merlot/burgundy/red shade (with that you could keep your silver accents) or as another said Tuscany. What I tell most my clients who are unsure and/or color phobic is to go with colors you already enjoy in the shade (depth/brightness) that is most pleasing to your eye and ties in. After that get the little sample pots of what you like best ( try to narrow to three ) and paint a good size of either cardboard or poster board with one of the colors. Lean or stick it on the area of kitchen where you'll be painting for 3 days (again one color at a time) so that you can see the color in different lighting and times of day. This will save you money by not buying a bunch of accessories or accents that may not work in the long run if you really are just wanting to paint. After you pick the paint then you can look at back splashes and decor as the accents. Hope this helps.
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 7:13PM
YuliaK -photo
You have a white space, the best way to personalize! if you are afraid of color, don't buy an expensive colorful back splash . Keep it neutral but play with the accessories! I love to use white as a main color. You can play with flowers (even artificial looks really good), runners, napkins, fruits, candles, plaits etc., you can put some decorative bottles or pots full of color on top. They don't need to be expensive, you always can paint something and repaint it again if you don't like the color, the can of paint is only $4 and will last for several projects. You can use yellow in summer, orange/ brown or even eggplant purple for Autumn, and let your imagination flow for winter and December's holidays and this way you will always have a different space! there are a lot of ways to add color without painting. I have to work a lot with rentals were you just can't paint or don't want to loose your money by installing a back splash. Good luck decorating and remember it's all about having fun!!!!!
    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 7:42PM
wyntre
Definitely choose a color you like and introduce it in a small way. Like a centerpiece for the table or a canister on the counter. Maybe something whimsical. Here's a white kitchen where yellow is introduced as an example of the different accents you could choose. Note the backsplash; even though it's white it adds interest through texture and disign.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 9:10PM
Sharon Mefford
Here's a few examples.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 4:09AM
Susan Fulks
One word.....red
1 Like    Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 5:41AM
Susan Fulks
One word.....red
    Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 5:41AM
Halo Design
Hi there! Looks like the chair seats could be easily recovered with some fun fabric. This is also a great way to find some inspiration and colors you can play off of. Then choose a soft color from the fabric and paint the base of the table. Choose another color and add some solid fabric place mats to the table top. Finally, a nice soft tone of paint on the walls will bring life to the entire space and tone down the harshness of the contrasting black and white. Good luck and have fun!
    Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 5:53AM
sancarl
Personally, if you're afraid of permanent color, stay away from adhering colorful backsplash. You've a good white base, look at your wardrobe what colors do you wear most? Find a colorful playful or softer fabric with the colors you like, and begin to add perhaps to the windows. I just added wonderful playful colorful full length curtain to my kitchen window and making shades for the smaller ones. I so never want to leave the kitchen now. Depending on your style, you could add some dried twigs, floral or perhaps just a few colorful plates or bowls...remember, you can always change it out with seasons, or your mood so HAVE FUN and EXPRESS YOURSELF!
    Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 6:31AM
Renaissance Home Staging
I know people think Red is a great color for the charcoal grey, and white. Frankly remember the 60-30-10 rule. 60 percent of your room is White. 10 percent is the dark floor,...and the accent color or 30 percent might be something earthy. I'm not into hot colors for a room this size. Try a nice gray-green or a gray-brown-taupe mixture. You can add a stone back splash for "texture". You have lots of "flat" smooth surfaces. Everything "shines" in that room. You could use "woven wood" blinds to add more texture and warm, and they would mix with rest of the colors I just mentioned. You don't need to have a room look like a hospital. I see there is greenery at the top of the cabinets,...so you're on your way
    Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 6:54AM
Renaissance Home Staging
Ohhhh, and you might want to contact Sherwin Williams, or Benjamin Moorer. Use a satin finish, ..but you can take a picture of your room, and often they have software programs that can digitally paint the rooms for you so you can see what the colors will look like before you paint the entire room!
    Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 6:55AM
What's Inside Design Ltd.
If you are scared of colour, you're probably scared of saturated/intense colours. Go for a colour that has been tonned. A less intense colour is typically classy & timeless. I recommend atmospheric AF-500 by Benjamin Moore for your kitchen. It's a greyed blue-green. It would be stunning in your kitchen!!! Good luck and have fun!!!
    Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 8:21AM
What's Inside Design Ltd.
    Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 8:21AM
patayer
RED GLASS TILES!!~ A FRENCH TOUCH OF FABRIC INCUDING RED ON THE SEATS,--AND A CHANDELIER OF A FRENCH FLAIR---POSSIBL A NEAT ASIAN RUG TOO!!
    Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 8:35AM
Natalie
Hello! I suggest first adding some color (wow) to the table: [houzz=
Amoroso Design · More Info
]
or [houzz=
Dreamy whites · More Info
]
a glass tiled backsplash in a pale lavender-see how it looks with your current wall color. If you want more drama, without being too overwhelming try SW 6277 Special Gray for wall color. Subtle color palette which will look lovely with your existing furnishings.
Good Luck!
http://cdn.indulgy.com/rX/i8/GT/80290805826195586lwLViTDIc.jpg
http://www.atticmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/kit-gra-silverwallA-435.jpg
    Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 9:39AM
Natalie
another example of the tile
    Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 9:45AM
thereikiroom
thank you for your kind comments im sure it will help me.
    Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 6:13PM
i need help choosing my kitchen flooring countertop and backsplash
I already choose my cabinets and island colour
gprimiani
I need help with my kitchen in a new house in Puerto Rico
I wonder about the distance for the dining table to...
sapirm
I need help redesigning my kitchen/closet space. I would like to add o
I want to redesign kitchen so not so cluttered
Stacey Roy
I need help with my kitchen
Renovating my kitchen it is 11x11 L shaped and has...
Petrina
I need help for my kitchen.
Is 19 1/2 inches too much space between counter tops...
windfern
What kind of vent hood would you put here?
it's me again. :) i can't decide if i want to put...
dasha81
Kitchen backsplash ideas!
New kitchen in a very old house is finally coming together....
travallie
Help with Kitchen Backsplash - Taj Mahal Quartz
Hi! We recently renovated our kitchen and installed...
amitandanj
Is this clock too small? or too high?
ignore the candles I plan to change them, just not...
patsydarling
tv mounted over gas fireplace concerns
I see many flat screens that are mounted over fireplaces....
jpcdds