Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_corp

Garden dilemma, we are redesigning center of the garden!!!

mike_corp
11 years ago
We have a garden with a grass in the center part. We would like to change it, fill it with something more interesting and inviting. As the left and right sides have box hedge, we are not going to touch that. Our canvas is only the center part.

I add pictures where you can see the view from the terrace, one from the tree in the garden and view from back to front. I included also a plan so you can see the landscape.

Is there anyone who could suggest ideas what to build in the middle part?
Thank you in advance

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Perhaps a mix of landscape materials and design to lead you from the house to the back.

Lakeview Residence Patio · More Info
  • mike_corp
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    exactly, i know what you mean. We just need to fill it up. as we have a large terrace I can not add table to the garden. but next to the tree in the garden we have swing chair. as the box hedge is "wavy" we must add something in that style in the middle. I add another photo. this time it is a 180 panorama. I hope you can orientate in it.
  • PRO
    BEENU Interior Design
    11 years ago
    Mike, I would suggest a endless winding path connecting your focal areas, continuing but not ending, and you will see automatically you will have dividing the space where you can leave some grass areas and others you can use as flower beds with height giving you more intimate, quite allocation of space verses one open space, similar to rooms in a house.
  • PRO
    Dreamscape Outdoor Living & Garden Inc.
    8 years ago

Have you thought about creating a 'island'
    bed in the center of the lawn? It can be planted with a variety of
    low-maintenance shrubs and perennial plants. This would be something enjoyable
    to look at from the terrace, bench or swing. Because the lawn is partly shaded
    by a tree, you could choose plant material that thrives in semi-shade.

Your neat box hedge is a really nice
    feature! You could include a few box shrubs in the bed, this would visually
    link the new bed to your existing garden, for a more 'finished' look. There are
    a wide variety of box shrubs, some grow only a few feet high and require no
    clipping.

Other shrubs to consider are: Azalea (bright
    flowers in the spring), spirea (many different varieties with interesting
    foliage and flowers) and weigela (bright flowers attract butterflies). You can
    also include some low-growing holly bushes for additional evergreen texture
    (similar to the box hedge, they retain leaves throughout the year).

Perennial plants are plants that come back
    every year so they are great value for money. Shade-tolerant perennials include
    hostas (beautiful foliage), day lilies with large, colorful flowers, astilbe
    (delicate feathery blooms) and japanese painted fern (silver-grey leaves).The bed can include a few stepping stones
    so you can get in there and add mulch or fertilizer easily. Another helpful
    item is 'landscape edging' that runs around the edge of the bed. This prevents the lawn
    and weeds from growing into the bed and saves you time weeding. You can choose
    a color and style that suits your terrace, for example this item looks like a
    pale-colored stone. Because it is flexible you can use it for curved edges too.

One more thing, how about including a small
    fountain in the center of the bed - this would look really pretty!

mike_corp thanked Dreamscape Outdoor Living & Garden Inc.
  • mike_corp
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thank you very much for your ideas. I completely forgot about this forum as nobody replied for a long time. We finished this project and moved to another one. We've build a wooden veranda with double glass and UV filter. It makes a huge difference during hot summer. We imported red bricks from Netherlands to create paths around raised beds. We make our garden also optically larger but have a look at the photos,