Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cat_r

Fireplace update...help!!

Cat R
11 years ago
I would like to update the fireplace wall...any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Comments (21)

• aschades
    11 years ago
    I would remove the television from over the fireplace to improve viewing angle and to improve the possibilities for the fireplace. Fix the wlall holes from the remove electronics then have fun with things you may already have in the house. Artwork, vases with simple sticks, etc. The stone around fireplace is inexpensive to change to a more natural look... Painting wood is always a tough decision, but a creme or white-like color would look great. Good luck!
  • fabia
    11 years ago
    Very simple fix. Paint all mantle wood same colour as shutters. Cover/ remove the black granite. Use a small slate tile in it's place. There are alot of tile choices, another choice is grey, There it is. simple but terrific.
  • careyjr3
    11 years ago
    I would paint your room a lighter gray, and then paint the fireplace wall a smokey darker blue, and paint the fireplace Dove White (Ben Moore) and put carerra marble tiles in place of the black granite !
  • Cat R
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow! Thanks so much for all the great suggestions everyone - such great ideas to go with!! Carolyn, I would have never thought to put the tile all the way up the wall and around the corner...this will definitely hide the tv unit a bit - I love that idea! Thanks for all the comments everyone!
  • PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    There are so many great things you can do with that wall, it's hard to know where to begin, but before you spend a lot of money updating everything around the fireplace, I'd think seriously about updating the fireplace itself.

It's a little difficult to tell, but it looks like you've got an old Heat & Glo there, and fireplaces have come a long way since then.

You local fireplace nerds should be able to help you with some options for the fireplace and the whole wall. Find them here: http://www.hpba.org/retailer-locator

When you say update, you might not mean anything as modern as these examples, but it might get you thinking.

Here are are few of our projects that you might be able to adapt to use on that wall:
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    11 years ago
    I like Carolyn's idea & also the stacked stone idea. I would not move the TV from the fireplace, but once the mantle is removed, you may want to position it a little lower. If it were up to me, I'd do a subtle stacked stone to add texture to the room.
  • PRO
    Buechel Stone Corp
    11 years ago
    Here's two locations that sill give you some ideas if you want to focus on different ideas that include stone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buechelstone/sets/72157626765433140/ - this has over 80 pictures of fireplaces

http://pinterest.com/buechelstone/fireplaces-using-stone/ - this has over 100 pictures of fireplace ideas

Hope it helps!
  • PRO
    Fireplace & Granite Distributors
    11 years ago
    A new fireplace and mantel will do wonders.. Check out our site http://www.fireplacecarolina.com for ideas of different stone surrounds, even granite surrounds.
  • Cat R
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the great reference material everyone! I can't wait to check them all out!
  • Cat R
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    oh and by the way...COASTROAD Hearth & Patio, it is an old Heat & Glo! Amazing that you can tell that by the picture! Thanks for your help!
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    We houzzers come up with awesome answers don't we!
  • Cat R
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes indeed Carolyn! Thanks so much for your help! Houzzers are awesome!
  • PRO
    Glen Houston's Painting
    11 years ago
    Gel stain over existing fireplace !
  • PRO
    Glen Houston's Painting
    11 years ago
    Paint and glaze fireplace !
  • PRO
    Glen Houston's Painting
    11 years ago
    Paint and glaze fireplace !
  • Sarah Taylor
    11 years ago
    Paint the wall surrounding the fireplace...face the sofa towards the fireplace. Put the chair and smaller ottoman in the corner. Remove the bigger ottoman.
  • Cat R
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your suggestions Sarah! What color would you suggest for the wall surrounding the fireplace? I like the idea of the chair in the corner...I'm going to try that! The loveseat (that shows in the picture) is on the left and there is another sofa facing the tv / fireplace - you can see a small peak of it in the picture, so I wouldn't be able to move that loveseat. Thanks again!!
  • Cat R
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sarah, here's a picture of the other side of the room (it shows the sofa that faces the fireplace)
  • yvesun
    11 years ago
    I suggest replacing the fireplace with a "place of fire" smooth flushed wall style. the surround could be in stainless, but I think a mirrored surround would look different and play with the existing light in the room.

I would also scale down your existing furniture, by removing one of the sofa's and replacing it with another arm chair. You could place the arm chairs angled in, in front of the two side windows and move the grey sofa that by the front door a bit closer to the fireplace wall. Replace the ottoman/coffee table with a smaller circular one, and below the picture framed wall I would place a narrow side board. I see you like bright green so add some accessories in that colour and incorporate an area rug with bright green, cream and grey's.

Have Fun!
  • PRO
    Marie P. Interiors
    11 years ago
    Soft white paint is best...so elegant and rich looking...I would keep the black surround as you have a large black ottomon in the center of the room, and it's nice to repeat colors to bring a room together. As far as the TV goes, I see no other place for it, and it is not unsightly....but get rid of the mantle decorations as the mantle looks quite cluttered! Good luck!