Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gallimaufry6

Stone identification and mortar color

gallimaufry6
11 years ago
We are building an English Tudor in Illinois and would really love to know what kind of stone is used on this home, as well as the mortar and stucco color specifically. Also, love the shutters. Are they stained or painted .... would really appreciate a quick response. Thanks in advance.
Mediterranean Exterior · More Info

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Buechel Stone Corp
    11 years ago
    I'll try to help if you want. Our Pennsylvania Fieldstone would be a pretty good match. As for the mortar, it looks like possibly a white mortar (white mortars use white portland cement). It's a little more expensive than gray mortar - Might make sense to get some samples and possibly do a mock-up on site?

http://www.buechelstone.com/shoppingcart/products/Pennsylvania-Fieldstone.html
  • gallimaufry6
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your response. We are utilizing a copper/reddish brick with stone on our house plan. Also, love the stone on the attached photo which we have not as yet identified on a local suburban home. Can you tell me anything about what combo you think it might be.
  • PRO
    Buechel Stone Corp
    11 years ago
    This one's likely a custom blend... to some degree. Couple of notes on this one:

Flush bigger joints regardless of the stone. I would go with Fond du Lac Heritage Blend (you will have to work with the mason with these pictures to get the look. It's not how they would likely install it unless you talked with him on the specifics). Flush, brushed mortar joints - Type S mortar.

You will likely have to tweak the colors a little bit - there's some Rustic in this and some bedface (the rough, crater looking material like you see in the bottom left pic). The pictures we have on our site will not look exactly like this because none of the photos are installed flush like this, but I know it has been done before.

http://www.buechelstone.com/shoppingcart/products/Fond-du-Lac-Heritage-Blend.html

If you are interested, and I don't know how far along you are on the project plans, we can get you some information on a local supplier and have some material shipped there for a mock-up so you can work with the mason to get a sample on site to review. Just let us know - there's no charge for that.

Thanks!
  • PRO
    Buechel Stone Corp
    11 years ago
    I was looking through a few photos I got in the other day - this is getting closer. It is the Fond du Lac Heritage with the flush mortar joint. For an exact match I think we'd still have to adjust it a little.

Hope it helps!
  • gallimaufry6
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi, Thanks for the info regarding the Fond du Lac Heritage with the flush mortar joint. Can you identify if you sold the webwall that is on the house in Hinsdale at 405 - 7th Street that is being built now? I am attaching 2 photos. Let me know.
  • gallimaufry6
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi, Here is another photo of the Hinsdale house. Has to be rotated to see the stone clearly right side up.
  • PRO
    Buechel Stone Corp
    11 years ago
    It sure looks like it could be. We sell our stone through dealers so it's hard for me to nail down that. Here's where you can see other web wall shots, maybe that will help.

http://www.buechelstone.com/shoppingcart/products/Fond-du-Lac-Webwall.html
  • gallimaufry6
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi, again! Have not been online for a few weeks. We went to the American Club in Kohler, Wisconsin last week and visited Whistling Straits (one of Kohler's fabulous country clubs). Absolutely love the Whistling Straits exterior stone. Did your company sell the stone combo to them for the buildings? If so, please let me know what combination you used specifically. Thanks very much for your continued response!
  • gallimaufry6
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi, again! Have not been online for a few weeks. We went to the American Club in Kohler, Wisconsin last week and visited Whistling Straits (one of Kohler's fabulous country clubs). Absolutely love the Whistling Straits exterior stone. Did your company sell the stone combo to them for the buildings? If so, please let me know what combination you used specifically. Thanks very much for your continued response!
  • PRO
    Buechel Stone Corp
    11 years ago
    We did the stone on the locker toom, which is to the left of the main building. It's pretty amazing inside, not what you'd think of for a locker room:)..

We made a custom blend for that combination, but have duplicated it before. it's not too different than the stone for the Fond du Lac Heritage Blend shown above. Some of it is just talking with the mason as well, bringing some of the stones to stick out.

BTW - if you come that way again, you should call and make an appointment to view the showroom. We're only a 1/2 hour away from Kohler :)!
  • gallimaufry6
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hello! Thanks for your timely response. We will make an appt. for next week some day. Can we meet with you specifically? Please send me your name so that we can make a definite appt. Thinking of coming your way next Monday October 22nd. Please let me know. Thanks again!

~Linda
  • PRO
    Buechel Stone Corp
    11 years ago
    Thanks Linda - that's exciting to hear. My name is Mike Buechel and I handle operations and marketing, so here's what I would recommend:

Bill McConnell handles sales in your market and would know who in your area would be able to handle the project best. I can fill him in on what you have all looked at, along with a link to this conversation. Since he handles sales everyday I feel more confindent that will result in your best overall experience.

If you want me to come to the Fond du Lac office as well (I work out of Chilton) I will gladly come down. The choice is totally up to you.

If this works for you, please e-mail me at mbuechel@buechelstone.com and I will get the ball rolling for you.

Thanks again!

Mike
  • gesa1246
    11 years ago
    The stone on the main building at the Whistling Straits was provided by Halquist Stone.
    www.halquiststone.com. Kohler Blend
  • PRO
    Allan Edwards Builder Inc.
    10 years ago
    Looks like you received some great answers to your question.
  • kimber_95
    10 years ago
    What is the stucco color?
  • PRO
    Ancient Surfaces
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    It is hard to tell from a distance what that stone may have been. However the entry way stone is similar (in color only) to a product we carry.
    We call that stone the reclaimed 'Kronos limestone' blocks.
    We have reclaimed and assembled may entryways out of over the years. Here's one such entryway.
  • PRO
    Ancient Surfaces
    10 years ago
    Actually if we may here's the link to our limestone entryways:

http://www.houzz.com/projects/165086/Antique-Stone-Entryways---Mediterranean-Style-
  • rbcola
    10 years ago
    Thank you.