Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trendyrendy

Do these sciences provide enough light for makeup?

trendyrendy
11 years ago
I love the sconces but upon researching found they take 60 watt max. Does that provide ample light for makeup application, shaving, etc. or is there a separate place for that in this room? Or are there recessed cans I can't see? THANK YOU for your help. I'm leaning toward sconces that take 100 watt bulbs, as well as a can over each sink. I need to be able to see those little chin hairs I have to pluck! (please be honest and tell me if my plan too much lighting for that space:)
Ranch Remodel · More Info

Comments (17)

• trendyrendy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    You're a lifesaver. Thank you for the advice. I read your post to my husband and he said "Are you writing this down?" :)
  • bathdilemna
    11 years ago
    Beautiful elegant bathroom! I have also been wondering how lighting will be with sconces. Thanks for asking the question :). I will have two pairs of sconces on either side of my two mirrors and will also have overhead lighting. Of course the sconces I have selected are only 40 watts each - every other sconce I looked at was 60 watts!! I asked my contractor if that will be a problem and he doesn't seem to think so - he said I will have plenty of light from my overhead recessed lighting. I hope he is right!
  • trendyrendy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I hear your dilemma! Is your overhead sipplemental lighting recessed cans or a longer bar of two or three additional lights (matching the sconces, of course).? I'm wondering if it wold be overkill to use sconces between the mirrors (3) and add a fixture with 3 matching lights over each mirror, instead of a can over the sinks? I could use lower wattage bulbs on all of the fixtures but would achieve a balanced lighting plan, but am afraid it will look too crowded and odd. Every woman's decision: form vs. function :)
  • trendyrendy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    P.S. my sconces aren't as tall as these in the photo. (Minka Lavery 6731-1-613 Bathroom Light). If you are looking for a more modest alternative to the Hudson Valley sconces in the photo look at these-- very similar but much cheaper: Capital Lighting 1231PN-451 Midtown Wall Sconce
  • bathdilemna
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions! I think I may have looked at these before - since I am constantly researching 24/7 I think i have seen everything under the sun! I am going to have recessed lighting overhead - compared to what I have now in my antiquated bathroom, it has to be better even with the 4 40 watt sconces, right?

All of my research is making me too picky and then I select items that cause me to run into issues! The Midtown wall sconce will be too wide for me. I selected Venetian mirrors that I saw while shopping at Anthropologie months ago and had to base some things around those! Turns out they are wider than most so in order to have sconces I had to bump my cabinets up from 36" to 39" since one is up against a wall and I would possibly not have enough space to the right to hang a sconce. So I am limited on wall plate diameter and have been trying to stay under 5 inches. My husband said can't you just pick out different mirrors??

So I am leaning towards the Hudson Valley Cohasset sconces right now, Logan are also very nice but are slightly wider diameter so am thinking I shouldn't chance it. Isn't this process so much fun?? I still have to place some final material orders and demolition starts Tuesday!

Good luck with your project!
  • trendyrendy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    LOL! If I live through my project it'll be a miracle. My iPad is glued to my hand and I have also researched until I'm educated beyond my intelligence. Good luck to you too, and we will both enjoy our new homes...when it's all over. Who knew spending money could be this stressful?
  • bathdilemna
    11 years ago
    Too funny, we sound like we are very much alike! And nothing is ever easy is it. Every time I FINALLY make a decision on one of my material selections, there is an issue with getting it. Like the cabinets I finally selected which are painted and glazed with a rub through so it is highly recommended you have a sample ordered first so you will see how they will actually look before ordering. This process started one month ago and still no sample!! And my contractor will be ready for cabinets in 4 weeks...
  • trendyrendy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    My cabinets are being custom built on the job since we are adding on to an old kitchen and dimensions may have to be adjusted on the spot. Every kitchen I see that I admire the color (off-white with a glaze) can't give me a paint name because so many are ordered from a company, like yours. I need a suggestion for a LIGHT khaki shade (not so much whitish) to help me sort through the million shades Sherwin Williams has! My home is a cross between Pottery Barn and a barn-- beautifully rustic, with kitchen open to a vaulted den paneled in diagonal poplar lumber--aged to a golden glow. Hence, I can't go too "white" in the kitchen or it will be too stark of a contrast, and I can't go stained cabs because I'm already surrounded by wood. Any suggestions out there for a rustic cabinet color that will blend and hold up to grandkids and a basset hound?
  • bathdilemna
    11 years ago
    Sounds like you have a beautiful home and it will be even more beautiful when your project is complete! Since you are going totally custom you can't have a "sample" sent to you with a painted color and glaze - are they willing to prepare a sample first so you will have an idea? I'm sure you have looked at lots of painted and glazed cabinets by now. Just for an example, even though a color may be called white, or antique white, once you put the glaze on, of course the color will darken quite a bit. I thought I was going to go with an antique white but everyone has convinced me to go with the white because once it has the glaze and rub-through it will give a darker appearance. If you are looking for more of a khaki shade, maybe you should look at more of an antique white base, then add a warm toned glaze. Good luck! Post pictures when it's done!
  • trendyrendy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks, I will!
  • vkmcneil
    10 years ago
    JCA, thank you so much for such great detail. I am shocked no one else asked about the lighted make-up mirror you installed inside the tower (sorry if they did and I missed it). Is it possible to get a picture of that? I can't even image what it looked like. Is it installed on the inside of the door?
  • PRO
    JCA ARCHITECTS
    10 years ago
    Sorry for the delayed response to you message. Believe it or not it was just a hardwired/lighting standard swing arm wall mirror that attached to the inside wall of the cabinet. Pretty low-tech, but it did the job. Wish I had a picture, unfortunately I don't.
  • Jing Su
    10 years ago
    I remember you had post about the wall sconces installation height above vanity here, but I couldn't find it anymore. Could you please provide wall sconces installation height again.
    Thank you very much, JCA ARCHITECTS
  • PRO
    JCA ARCHITECTS
    10 years ago
    These fixtures are mounted at 5'-0" above the floor because the electrical backplate is at the bottom of the fixture. (When I have a fixture with a center set backplate I typically put them at 5'-6").
  • Jing Su
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much for your quick response. It really helps me to make decisions on our master bathroom renovation.
Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz