ceramic floor vs linoléum
savoyl
September 9, 2012
Two problems: kitchen ceramic tiles are very cold in winter and we can hear footsteps from the kitchen when we are in the basement. I would like to change the tiles for a heated floor or linolium, which is better to solve both problems
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Neither will provide sound deadening between the basement and upper floor. A heated tile floor is nice, but also has drawbacks. You may want to take a layout of your room with measurements to a local tile store and discuss this with them.

A heated floor is pricey - not only the cost of the heat mat itself but also the electrical work to install the thermostat. It can also just stop working at some point in the future if one of the small wires down in the mesh breaks apart. Some companies say it can be fixed but, as remodelers, we are skeptical of this.

Would you consider wood flooring with area rugs?
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 11:08AM
Walker Woodworking
You should also look into vinyl flooring, we just put that down at our beach house and love it! It's thick and very durable. But here are a few points to consider in regards to your question, I am not an expert but we have a basement and have used all types of these floors in the past at some point.

1. The only type of flooring that will probably help with footsteps is carpet or rugs as Deborah suggested.
2. Heating ceramic might actually add a layer to your floor between the ceramic and sub floor and minimize how loud those footsteps are.
3. As mentioned above there is a significant cost difference if you are thinking about adding heat to your floor.
For me in this situation cost would probably be the deciding factor- how much are you willing to spend for the luxury of a heated floor? I love the feel of a heated ceramic floor - its wonderful!
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 11:34AM
Custom Home Planning Center
I find the use of radiant ceiling panels do an excellent job of heating the tile and have used them in a number of bath locations. They come in 2' wide by 2,4,6" lengths and are very cost effective. or the solution could be as simple as comfort mats http://imprintmats.com/
    Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 9:47PM
aspenglow
I believe the Marmoleum 'click' flooring would definitely help with the noise. You can get a thick underlayment for better sound deadening. Also, this product can be installed on top of your existing flooring (floating floor) if you were not sure of removing the tile. http://www.coolgreenfloors.com/?gclid=CN2P3eLhhLMCFaaDQgodtiUAXw
    Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 10:04PM
Matte vs. Glossy Bathroom Floor Tiles
Hi all, I'm trying to decide between matte vs. glossy...
dleetward
Glazed vs. unglazed ceramic tiles?
Hi there! I need some advice on tiles...I am very...
scerrir
Basement floor: engineered hardwood vs. laminate. Resale value?
We are deciding between engineered hardwood or laminate...
mailprocessing
Ceramic vs hardwood in the kitchen
I would like to replace the ceramic tile in my hallway...
marysirignano
Carpet vs. wood floor in bedrooms?
Do buyers prefer carpet or wood floors in the bedroom?...
khibler
a need for an inspiration for the home decor
I would love to change the color of our home, rearrange...
Sebastian Gloria Forjan
we need a kitchen table
kitchen table that extends to 120 inches but only 30-36...
maxthecat63
Curtains and roman shades for gold bedroom
I wish to place full beige/gold curtains at each window...
kslouca
Kitchen Renovation
We are trying to decide what is the best color for...
Michelle Cagle
Need ideas for Small Bathroom shower curtain/rug!! more ideas=BETTER!
I recently bought a few sets of the Cynthia Rowley...
Julia