Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shirleegirlee

Need help with my Kitchen! Made a costly mistake.

shirleegirlee
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
My kitchen is two different colours of wood. Dark brown on bottom and light beige (with dark brown in the grooves) on the top. We put in beautiful granite counter tops, but they make the kitchen look far busier than we would like. Is there anyway I can inexpensively change the counters to quiet down the room. We've opted out of a back splash as we knew it would be counterproductive to the decor.

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Sunterra Custom Homes
    11 years ago
    Changing the countertops will not be cheap however you may be able to resell the tops if you choose that option. One thing that could work is to paint the wall a similar color to the counters we have done that with renovations and found that it open the kitchen up by using a light paint color that ties the upper cabinets to the countertops.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- I think the kitchen is beautiful ,- I don't see a problem . All you have to do is just do the backsplash in a plain creamy color tile about the same color as the top cabinets . Maybe a subway tile. The window frame could be the same color as the top cabinets also. I think in time you will learn to love the counters.
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    I think your kitchen looks fine and would not change the granite at all. Yes you could sell it but why go through that. My friend has a kitchen very similar to yours butterscotch on top and espresso on bottom she did a dark brown and med brown and clear long pieces of glass it looks beautiful. No kidding
    Her walls are chocolate looks great Suntera has a good idea if you don't like the look of granite don't give up yet paint is inexpensive give that a try before you make possibly a even bigger mistake . I notice you don't really have anything other than the poinsettia . A few simple things a plant or something would bring it all together . Just no clutter Give it a try Shirley its well worth it looks so nice your being to hard on yourself
  • User
    11 years ago
    Agree with @feeny and @lefty47. From an outsider's perspective, the kitchen is lovely!!!
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Don't add another pattern with any tile. Just paint as per above and live with it. Once you put a set of cannisters, and the normal kitchen paraphenalia on the counter you'll find it works better than you expect. Why don't you try some simple roman shades (the cordless ones) at the window for some solid softness?
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Don't despair, you can still have a backsplash given the granite is busier than you like.

Traditional Kitchen · More Info
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    I think your countertops are one of the most beautiful granites I've seen! Give it time, I think it'll be ok. Until you get used to them, you might try covering one of the larger sections with a plain cutting board, just to tone it down for you.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    Your countertops look fine. I can almost guarantee you will feel differently in a month. Sometimes something new can be shocking and then you second guess your decision. It looks fine to me, really I would tell you if I felt it looked wrong. I think you did a nice job. I like a little movement in granite, it's interesting. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info

Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info
  • PRO
    Toni Sabatino
    11 years ago
    Hi, just adding my agreement that the granite looks great. I actually think the color and movement tie your two cabinet tones together really well and think when you get used to it a simple creamy splash would finish it all off and be more practical than paint for cleaning.
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    11 years ago
    Hi Shirlee, I have to agree with the other posters in that your kitchen looks great! I agree with waiting before you do anything because you're too "close" to it at the moment and its difficult to be objective when thats the case.

I do think adding the right kind of splash (full height) will help the cabinetry and counters blend together nicely. Not a patterned tile but a solid color subway tile, or with some texture. Heres one we did that has a very similar granite, I used a crackled tile for the splash similar to this

Subway Tiles - Rixi by Grazia - Glossy Wall Tile - Italian · More Info

HD kitchen · More Info

Steve
  • karrol
    11 years ago
    I also think your kitchen looks very nice and I dont think it looks busy. If you wanted an idea maybe what I would do is paint the bottom cabinets the same color as the top and pick a lighter color for the walls that blends with the counter. Maybe what you dont like is the dark cabinet against the lighter granite making the granite stand out and if it was lighter it would blend in possibly more of a monochromatic look. It really looks very pretty though.
  • PRO
    COConsultants
    11 years ago
    Hi, Take a deep breath, breathe it is a kitchen and not surgery. This can be fixed. I noticed you have a so fit and a well (can't think of word) I want to get this right.
    Your top cabinets are light beige and dark brown bottom, painted? Juparano top? with lots of movement.
    People look for days, months and weeks for stone with movement, it looks stunning the tops, and I personally would just put a simple painted brown back for now. No more tile. Just give it time. I would also take the brown from thr stone not the cabinets and I would paint the soffit the same color cut 25% with white, you might think of doing a walnut pattern in the ceiling like a tray ceiling. But you can call your architect and talk, but I would paint the whit again with the same brown of the so fit cut one more time. we are going darker, little lighter, much lighter. And, then just wait, paint is not expensive and when and if you want a backsplash you can pick a color from this amazing stone and if will be fine.

If you do not want to paint the ceiling I would without a doubt paint the backsplash and soffit.
    go to www.akdo.com and look at their stones, tiles, glass your slab it would be gone. Be happy it is beautiful.
    Have friends put out your pretty toys and be happy you have a beautiful kitchen and now you can cook.
    enjoy!
  • User
    11 years ago
    I love your granite too! I would not change the color of your cabinets either. I agree with those that say live with it for awhile. Then, if I did anything I would paint the area above the granite a cream that goes with the granite or add a cream tile ( but bring home several pieces first to see what they look like at the angle they will be placed and in the lighting in your kitchen. Lighting changes everything!)
  • aliosh
    11 years ago
    It's not busy..........it's visually interesting!

A single color glass tile back splash in an accent color seen in the granite would add even more interest.

I love the natural beauty of an exotic granite.......I have granite counter tops and full granite back splashes and have no regrets.

Stop second guessing your choices and enjoy your beautiful kitchen!
  • jmanville5
    11 years ago
    I think it looks good as well. I do suggest going with a neutral simple subway tile matching the upper cabinets for the backsplash.. I think that is what is missing because the wall color is adding a another color to the mix. Going neutral will bring the upper cabinet downward. If you wanted to add something more specail do it above the stove for an accent. Good Luck
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    I think it looks quite nice-I love backsplashes, but you opted not to have one and that is fine. What I suggest is painting your walls one to threes shades darker than the existing wall color. It will balance the space because in its current state, the eye is drawn more to the counter and the bottom cabinetry. Once those walls are painted a few shades darker, I think you will be quite pleased.
    Good Luck!
    ~Natalie
  • naomifrash
    11 years ago
    I think that you have picked a lovely and well suited counter top for your kitchen cabinetry. What I would do is change the style of faucet/tap. The tall stainless steel one is not in keeping with the style of kitchen that you have, I would go for a shorter possibly barely there faucet, or one in a darker colour.

I also agree with the comment by Feeny, allow yourself time to get used to the newly acquired look.
  • pursue
    11 years ago
    I think the kitchen looks lovely. You just need the right "stuff" on the counters. The crock with the wooden spoons, an end grain butcher block cutting board, a Dualit toaster, maybe the KitchenAid mixer, a knife block, trays, etc. It just needs to look like a working kitchen and it will all work out. Use Houzz to search the pictures for ideas. You may consider painting all the walls a lighter color too. I also agree that a backsplash of a beige subway tile would add to the look. A little shine on the backsplash would be nice. I think the glass tile would look too trendy. I think you need to go for a very classic look in the kitchen.
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    we have alot more movement that this sample shows but you get the idea of the color
  • aliosh
    11 years ago
    This is my granite and we used it for the counter tops and on the walls as a full back splash. Lots of movement and drama! Looks great with my Harvest Bronze cherry cabinets with ebony glaze and my stainless steel!
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    here is the tile we will use soon as the installer gets it here
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    once trav. is sealed it will be a tad darker in cream we will put the glass behind the stove rest all lighter color trav. will be nice your kitchen is very nice Shirley .
  • leoquanbadass
    11 years ago
    If you don't want the hassle of tiling you could consider putting up Beadboard panelling and painting it the color of your walls to add depth to your backsplash and help transition between your lovely granite & your gorgeous cabinetry. I am trying to pick out granite countertop for my kitchen and it is extremely costly, I considered extending the granite of the countertop as the backsplash, which IMO looks gorgeous and is extremely easy to clean but the cost factor is substantially more then tiling. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
  • aliosh
    11 years ago
    Live with it for awhile......if you still don't like it after several months, then replace it......and remember......it's your kitchen and you should choose what you like......in fact everyone should choose the materials that appeal to them.......whether they are "in style" or not.
  • PRO
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC
    11 years ago
    Your granite looks fab. You're simply having a case of the "OMG it's too new and too fab" remorse. It's the shock of such a dramatic change. Trust me, you'll look back and laugh at this one day. I would recommend a glass tile in a color similar to the upper cabinets to finish off the space. A roman shade in a solid color will also help ditto on calm solid-colored, accessories. Truth be told, it'll be an expensive fix and simply not worth it.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Hi shirleegirlee, I'm curious as to what kind of countertop you had prior to your granite. Your stone is certainly a departure from a solid surface or laminate top, but I'm wondering if you are seeing something we are missing. Are there seams that are bothering you? Are you regretting the contrast of light and dark cabinets? This is obviously an expensive and beautifully crafted kitchen and it's a shame that you are not pleased with it.
  • shirleegirlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks to everyone for their positive comments on the kitchen. I am going to take some of the suggestions and give them a try. Our kitchen prior to the remodel contained white builder grade cabinetry with a dark grey laminate countertop (the new granite seams are not an issue as they blend in nicely). It was a much quieter kitchen but not as functional. We took out the wall between our old kitchen and our dining room to enlarge the kitchen. We put in a beamed ceiling with crown mould to add interest above which we love. We lost a dining room which we rarely used and gained a gathering place for the family. As we wanted to keep the original dark hardwood floors and we don't get much light in our house, my thought process was that if we had all dark cabinetry (my husband did not want to stay with white) the room would be gloomy and uninviting. Every room in our house is a compromise between my husband's tastes and mine. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't!
  • supersu
    8 years ago

How about a backsplash of (unfussy) tin ceiling tile (if you must have a backsplash) for added light and reflection? Did ours in a day and it looks wonderful. You can get them in different metal coatings (bronze, copper,copper verdigris, etc), to blend your cabinets and countertops (check out American ceiling tiles or many others on line for photos).

I think the stone is gorgeous.

• Bobbie
    8 years ago

As with everyone else, I agree - the granite is great. What will help it blend is a creamy backsplash - subway tile would look great. You also may want to consider updating the knobs and pulls - something more organic - oil rubbed bronze, etc - and a bit chunky will help integrate the look. Great job!

• kikipeoples36
    8 years ago
    i love your kitchen just add add a natural back splash .
  • 1beth58
    8 years ago
    This post is over 3 years old.
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH