Living Room- Wall decor not as POP as I would like it
srashannon
Help! How to I make this more lovely? I want a calm quiet retreat like feel yet it is also the focal room of our home. I like the art work of our favorite vacation spot but I don't know I feel like maybe it is too high?
Marie Enterprises,Inc/Homes By Marie Inc
I FEEL LIKE THE CURTAINS ARE DATED, TAKE YOUR ART WORK AND PUT IN ON ONE WALL
MAYB PAINT YOUR WALL ABOVE THE FIREPLACE THE WARM BLUE YOU ARE USING IN THE
CURTAINS ARRANGE ALL THE ART PIECES ABOVETHE FIREPLACE TO CREATE A FOCAL POINT
SOMETHING LARGE ON THE LEFT OF THE FIREPLACE WOULD BALANCE THE TV.
THANKS "BUILDING WITH MARIE "
0 Likes   September 11, 2012 at 5:18PM
srashannon
what would you suggest for the window coverings then?
0 Likes   September 11, 2012 at 5:50PM
The items on and around your mantel seem too small to me, and too many. Less is more, maybe one large piece on the mantel wall? Behind the sofa, too many knick-knacks, remember the more stuff you have the more you need to dust. And I would def replace the curtain with something a little more modern, a little more streamlined.
0 Likes   September 11, 2012 at 5:51PM
parrotheadchic
A couple of quick ideas. I love the idea of a calm vacation retreat.
* I think the curtains are a good jumping off point. I can see the ocean in them.
*Try to unify a few items- Paint the folding tables and the bookcase. I like the idea of a driftwood grey. Bounce that through the room - a rug?
*Unify all the plant containers and add a plant with height near the cubes.
* Cover all the books in brown paper.
* Enlarge your photos on canvas.
*Think of adding large accessories.
Have fun!
0 Likes   September 11, 2012 at 6:12PM
I agree with Bobbi that the artwork over the mantel is too small. Here are 3 ways to conquer that problem:
1. Enlarge one favorite piece to twice the size of the big picture and hang only it there. Hang it with the bottom of it 4 to 6" above the mantel.
2.Or move the big picture down to 9" above the mantel. Then move the two pictures that now flank it to a point even with the bottom of the big one and 2" from the outside edge of the big one. Then move the two on the mantel to 2" above the other pair and even with their inside edge. If you didn't understand that let me know and I'll draw it for you.
3. Place an entirely different piece of art over the mantel. Make sure it's about twice the size of the largest piece currently there. Then group your photos together on another wall. And yes, you're hanging your art too high. Try placing the center of a piece of art at 60" to 66" above the floor.

In the photos below you will see a couple of ideas on what to do with the mantel. Use just two or 3 items and make them much larger than what you are now using. You could also lean a piece of art against the wall as you see in the first picture. Mill Valley, CA Shawnee Home
1 Like   September 11, 2012 at 6:29PM
Town & Country Interiors LLC
Really like Carolyn's suggestions, and I love the abstract bold black and white art..Love driftwood beige and camel tones with black. Warm up the walls with a softer beige or gray. Check out Suzanne Kasler for Ballard Designs ikat drapery too. Bobbi is so right the art work needs to be larger! A soft wool sisal or natural jute rug can give you a coastal feel as well. Good luck, you have received some great ideas from everyone I am sure you will have your retreat soon!
1 Like   September 11, 2012 at 6:47PM
uhoh_busted
Can you make the photos larger? I know costco does really big enlargements on canvas...it could be well worth the investment to do so. One big piece is a better statement than a lot of small ones grouped together. Also, a restful scene is more restful when it is bigger.
0 Likes   September 11, 2012 at 8:24PM
Lanie Brown, REALTOR®, Martha Turner Sotheby's
I'd like to see some color on the walls as well. I wonder about a very light sea foam green. I don't know if that would be too much with the bright blue curtains...
0 Likes   September 11, 2012 at 8:38PM
yes, most agree to enlarge or group your photos. Check out these accessories tips just posted on Houzz. I suggest grouping photos on the wall left of the FP and do a starburst mirror above the FP. everything in the room is rectangular. I think some soft edges are in order.

0 Likes   September 11, 2012 at 8:39PM
What to do with off center fireplace, tv and furniture placement.
My 1954 ranchelo living room is 15 x 13 and I don't...
zeeveezee
Yes or no to having a garbage disposal?
My contractor friend who does massive houses ( with...
Diane Mazefsky
Historic 1930 Spanish home I just bought....paint colors & windows?
I just purchased a Spanish style home in an historic...
arkiegrandma
help for my dining and living room
hi, this is my living and dining room. something bothers...
filiozep
Dome/skylight replacement
I have a dome/skylight over my foyer that is 8 feet...
francifree