Wall of windows in the living room need privacy and light
debrajoyeklove
The long wall of the room is all glass and is 225 across 94 to the floor. It is the first floor of a condo and there is a door to the balcony. Privacy is an issue. Also i'd love to have natural light come in.

Sheers have been suggested, to add them behind the 6 silk-lined floor lenght panels that are currently there. These silk panels block out all the light which is fine at night for privacy.

It feels like it will be a formal treatment and from pictures i've seen a bit dated. Are there other things you would suggest?
HI, consider shades that can be opened from top or bottom so you can customize between privacy and light.

September 12, 2012 at 6:20am   
TanCalGal
Do you need privacy at night only? Do you need the privacy on lower area of window or entire window. Do you need sun control as well as privacy?
September 12, 2012 at 6:03pm   
debrajoyeklove
Actually, privacy all day is okay, though more needed at night. As shown in the photo, it is a full wall that is glass, with a door onto a balcony and then public space outside that

It probably is more the lower area of the window for privacy issues . . There is sun in the room in the morning so protection from that enters into it.

Thank you for your questions
September 12, 2012 at 7:09pm   
debrajoyeklove

Thank you for your questions
September 12, 2012 at 7:09pm   
TanCalGal
Plantation shutters are often used with drapes. They're stylish and offer sun control + privacy. They're expensive though and you need a plantation shutter sliding unit or some other design for the doors. Two Story Cottage

It is the sliding door that are difficult to find window treatments for. Different seasons will have more need for sun control or less need. Spy on yourself from the public area, at different times of the day and night, to be sure of what you need. Are you at home to pull the window treatments? Some have retractible outside awnings on patio to avoid sun glare & they offer some privacy.

I think sheers are a good solution, too. They do not look dated if they are left open a bit DPC Pacific Heights Residence

"Bamboo"/woven grass are modern and used often with panels Karla Trincanello, NJ CID; ASID Allied

Today sheers are often used alone: Modern Living Room Sylvia Martin
September 12, 2012 at 8:00pm   
debrajoyeklove
Thank you for your ideas to pursue and pictures. The shutters and sheers seem to be more formal and do give privacy. I had hoped to keep the silk panels - maybe just on the sides?

With the sheers, what is the width of the fabric relative to the width of the window/wall, is it 2 or three times. And i see they are hung on gromets or a track, is that with a pinch pleat. What are the advantages and drwbacks of each? is the fabric cotton, linen, rayon, or synthetics?
September 13, 2012 at 5:50am   
michigammemom
Take a look at Luminette privacy sheers by Hunter Douglas. They are vertical blinds "wrapped" in sheer fabric, so they have the versatility to let in as much light as you wish. We have these in our FL condo and they are perfect for a large window with sliders. http://www.hunterdouglas.com/our-products.jsp?so=tn#/P_4/
September 13, 2012 at 6:00am   
TanCalGal
Plan to keep all panels with the shutters or sheers. Unless all panels end up looking "too much". Then, you can use the end panels.
You like the light sometimes: if you decide on the sheers, have pinch pleat sheers on easy to pull traverse rod or rings so they always look neat / even. The grommets are cool, but are more casual & I think would be a real pain to keep sheers arranged neatly/evenly.
Sheer fullness varies: 2, 2.5, 3 or more. The fullness is made by the pinch pleat.
Michigammemon's Luminette privacy sheers look really nice. I do not think you would use them with the panels. They would work well on the slider, though. I do not know if they offer complete privacy at night.
All choices are very expensive. Be sure of what you need and want before ordering. I'd call a professional to help with the decision.
September 13, 2012 at 3:16pm   
nasmijati
If you choose to use pinch pleat sheers on a traverse rod, you can certainly keep your silk draperies on the side. This is an especially good option if you need light blocking and extra insulation.

If you choose an option that does not include the silk draperies in the design, you might be able to use the silk draperies in another room.

As mentioned, for an expanse of glass this size, it will be costly no matter what you choose. I would need j222b's advice and consult a professional.
September 13, 2012 at 4:32pm   
debrajoyeklove
I appraciate the suggestions and clarifications and am having priofessionals come to help decide what works and what we'd like. Now at least i can participate in the conversations with some ideas and understanding.
Thanks you to all.
September 13, 2012 at 8:23pm     
how to combine asian,modern,industrial and cottage successfully
I have a black chinoiserie dining cabinet, old oak...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....
Need to Update Kitchen Cabinet doors
Where can I buy replacement kitchen cabinet door fronts?...
What is missing on my kitchen cabinet tops?
Please give me advice on the decor for my kitchen cabinet...