Problematic Perch seeks Prettification
Anna Hardy
September 12, 2012
Just bought a house with a great loft - and a strange sort of perch-space above the kitchen that I'm at a loss with what to do. So far it's mostly been a hangout spot for my cats, and while we do sometimes sit up there during parties (see picture attached - I'm the only one who's face is showing), it's not easy to get on to from the stairs, so sitting area is probably out (except maybe for the cats).

Houzzers, give me your best thoughts!

P.S. I am planning on painting the walls a more modern neutral - possibly grey, and the railing on the stairs will be stained to match the floor (the balusters will stay white though).
Nancy Hehmann
I would suggest purchasing an easel and placing a great piece of artwork or photography on the easel. You can have photography printed on canvas so that it can be placed on an easel. You can purchase easels at Michaels or other Hobby stores or just "google" them. If you want a great selection of artwork or photography go to Etsy.com and just type what you need in their search engine. You can also type a certain theme like, coastal, Paris, sailboat, Italy, horses, etc. I have a photography shop on Etsy too, nancyhehmann is the name. Etsy has so many home decor items and other things. They are created by artisans from the US, Canada and other countries throughout the world. Each "shop" usually posts a profile of the owner and location. There is also a contact tab that you can click and send a message to the owner. Hope this helps.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 6:42AM
Shawn Lagemann
A larger scale piece of art would look great hanging on the inset wall, and maybe a large scale ceramic piece (pot, ginger jar, sculptue) would be nice on top of the wall next to the stairs. Something easy to dust that won't get knocked over. Many people tend to clutter up those type of spaces and they become giant dust catchers. Nice place you have, congrats.
    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 6:46AM
Anna Hardy
Thanks for the tips! I had originally thought of possibly lining the wall with long shelves for books, photos, and other things, but I think you're right that it'll make the area look cluttered.
    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 10:45AM
I agree with a large, modern work of art on the wall and just leaving the ledges alone. Alternately, you could hang a modern tapestry up there. I think putting objects on the ledges themselves will just look cluttered.
    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 10:55AM
ct design studio
I agree to keep it simple, a singular piece of sculpture etc. Just make sure whatever it is the cat can't knock it off and break it. Or you could just put a keg up there and entertain more often :)
4 Likes    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 11:26AM
gingerclaire
I love this space - it looks like a great place to live.

A row of flush up lighters onto the big patch of wall could be quite good, and I know some people hate them on here, but coloured LED uplighters could be quite a fun option, which would allow you to change the mood of the room depending on the type of party you were hosting.

I like being high up, and if this were my place, I would be really tempted to add some kind of ladder which added interest to the vertical wall which faces us, maybe if you have a good book collection, you could even combining some sort of alternate tread with a bookcase with a vertical version of this with handrails http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hCJa0E76zZA/Tkc-4dUiThI/AAAAAAAAFx8/MqY6SXAhlhs/s1600/4+book+alternate.jpg

Slightly out there, but not beyond the realms of the possible!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 11:58AM
Well, this may be silly, but since you like to sit up there can you make it into a rock climbing wall? or you could anchor a rope ladder to the top? I think it would be fun to sit up there!
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 12:36PM
Anna Hardy
Wow! Such great ideas! Truly creative minds around here. I'm starting to think I should put a keg AND a stair bookcase AND a rope ladder in!

Sorry if this is a totally newbie question - but what is an LED uplighter?
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 7:22PM
HI -- I truly hate these after thought architectural features , But you could make it fun . I would keep it clean and simple and not have too many things that are going to be dust collectors. Now the fun , go to a new and used display store and get a store dress dummy , maybe one in a seated position that has a leg to hang over the edge like you did . Then you and your friends can decorate it by painting it and glueing things to it such as buttons, or faux jewels and any other interesting items. OR have black mirror installed on that small wall and that's all . The mirror can be behind the decorated dummy or a large Asian statue. Or have a large poster or painting the size of that small wall as long as it fills that whole space.OR check the discount bin at a wallpaper /paint store and find a wallpaper that is colorful or a part of a mural to put on the wall. Have fun with it , but I fear someone will fall from that ledge at one of your parties. Just the Mom in me ,sorry.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 7:44PM
gingerclaire
LEDs are a reasonably new type of light that is starting to become more affordable for the home. They use a lot less electricity than incandescent lights, they don't heat up in the same way and last 1000s of times longer than bulbs. They allow you to do interesting things with blending and fading colours. If you do a Google image search for 'LED wall wash' you will get an idea of the effects you can create.
    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 9:00PM
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Bobby's idea is Interesting , but hey , make sure people are not high when they climb as I see Beer Cans in their hands ,Lol .
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 9:26PM
Anna Hardy
Yeah, the fear of people falling off and into my kitchen is definitely a good reason for not having a party lounge area up there. Though, them being high isn't really a problem, me being clumsy is. :)

I love the LED wall wash idea! Any idea where they can be purchased (in Canada)?
    Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 8:05AM
ct design studio
Just for my professional record, I was kidding! You've gotten lots of ideas though.
    Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 8:31AM
michigammemom
I picture something quirky displayed on your ledge...a vintage bicycle perhaps?
1 Like    Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 8:44AM
gingerclaire
I'm not sure about Canadian stockists, but this British company stocks a wide range of these types of products, so it should give you an idea of what to search or ask for. http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/products.aspx?g=15
    Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 11:14AM
mpoulsom
I would have a very thick L-shaped cushion or 2 rectangular cushions made out of one of your colors you use in the living area, or a neutral color, the size of that space. Lay it on the ledge and it would be like a trim piece of color at the top of that wall. The cats could lay up there and be very snuggly. That in itself is a piece of art! I would place a large painting on the wall above with some sort of spotlight focusing on the painting.
    Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 11:30AM
Mueller Nicholls Cabinets and Construction
Large art, large plant, or large quirky object!
    Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 11:53AM
anitajoyce
I agree with Mueller Nicholls.
    Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 1:56PM
mpoulsom
Whatever you decide to put up there, make sure it is secure, (whether it be with fishing line, wire or whatever you can conceal) . my mischievious cat can knock over things that are 50 times her weight. It's very bizarre, but true.
    Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 2:51PM
macke004
Is there access to the other side of the wall? Add a door and close it in with "windows" for a walk-in attic or retreat.
    Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 8:34PM
Jayme H.
I just wanna come over and climb up there...lol
Agree with one large piece up there and not a bunch!
    Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 8:40PM
Nursery ideas
I need help with a collage wall I'm putting together...
schillinger
Planning for disability
This is for senior citizens - or those who are still...
janbhan
Shall I trash this 60's green retro bathroom?
I just bought this investment property that has a 60's...
Michael Kong
what size pendant over 36" square kitchen table?
I have 3 I'm considering. #1 is 20 dia x 19"h #2 is...
youngstown
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats