At a loss for ideas in our master bedroom
hm k
I would like to hang lights on either side of the bed for balance. Have I broken any design rules with the placement of the chair? It's the only place it will fit.
Most of all, I have no idea what to hang on the wall over/around the bed or if we should paint, wallpaper or brick that wall. We want a contemporary-modern look. Do we hang one pic above or 2 on either side?
Help!
Thank you!!
Heather
inkwitch
First, there aren't any "rules" beyond what looks good to you, a certain balance and scale, and what you love.

Secondly, what do you love? Morrocan carvings? Red Chinese enameled screens? Sleek stainless and linen? Andy Wharhol modern? This looks more French farmhouse modern crossed with mid-century lux.

Anchoring the bed with an area rug big enough to have 3 feet of it on both sides of hte bed or 2 smaller area rugs for each side, would add pattern/color/texture. Once you've chosen a color scheme -- or purchased something that establishes a color scheme, you will have a focus for the rest of the room.

Art: 3 of something tend to have more interest than 2, but if the 2 are large enough, it works. Depends on what you want for art. Matching lights hanging on either side would be stunning -- linen drum shades come to mine right off, but I'm sure some designers will chime in with some suggestions.

You've got a great start. Don't be intimidated; trust your gut. If you love it, it will work.
September 14, 2012 at 6:17pm     
dcer
It would look great if you did a contrast wall there- either with brick, wallpaper or paint. I love that you have the chair there. It makes it asymmetrical, which I always prefer.
September 14, 2012 at 6:20pm     
houssaon
If you have another side table, I'd rather see that than the chair. You could move the chair to the foot of the bed.

You need much larger lamps, something like these: OH Custom 4 A simple set of prints over yout bed would look good.

A pretty wallpaper on the wall of the head of the bed would add drama: 40 Park Or a bold color with your dark furniture: Guest bedroom
September 14, 2012 at 6:31pm     
diamaria
Your bed looks alot like mine! I am in the process of doing our master bedroom over as well and the only difference with your photo is that I have elongated windows on either side. Your bedding looks very similar to what I have chosen and so does your furniture. I have decided to our a large area rug (6x9) at the end of the bed with a rustic type of bench (I like rustic modern) At the headboard, I am painting in a darker hue and putting some of the sculptural birds in white with the word Dream. I am using a picture that my mother in law painted with mauve and birch trees. I am adding birch trees and a feature wall (to the left of head board) with wall paper grass cloth. Maybe I will post pics when I get around to actually doing the work. lol It looks great so far. And I agree about the back wall being a feature wall. I would have chose that for mine if i didn't have the windows to contend with.
September 14, 2012 at 6:36pm   
syd34
A beautiful shade of blue with the black bedroom furniture would be nice. It would make it warm. Metal wall art over the bed would be nice. Use flameless candles wiwth the art for ambience or mood setting. If you d on't need two end tables, the chair is fine. Then add our personal taste to compliment it. Hope I helped you on this. Great start. Now continue.
September 14, 2012 at 6:37pm   
pcmom1
Can you give us the dimensions of the room and a layout? More pictures of each wall would be great.

No designer here: but I think every chair needs a surface of some kind to set a drink down on. A good lamp also! Otherwise it lacks function.
September 14, 2012 at 6:44pm   
Decaleco
Have you thought about a wall quote made in vinyl? If you use a short one in the middle like in the first picture, you'll probably need two frames on each side above your furniture and your chair. We also offer custom quotes or patterns, just let me know if you are interested and want something which is meaningful to you. You're welcome to check out our gallery as well for more ideas.
September 14, 2012 at 9:39pm     
Sherry Mau
I was going to put pic frames above mine like what Houssaon posted but opted to do this instead:
September 14, 2012 at 10:59pm     
I think houssaon nailed it - a bedside table will be more useful than a chair, and the chair can certainly go to the foot of the bed. Larger lamps and a great wallpaper will make your room perfect!
September 15, 2012 at 2:20am   
I love the look of a set of related paintings or prints in matching frames over the bed, creating a horizontal block. It's a look that can work in both modern/contemporary and traditional designs:
Morgan Creek Residence
Guest Room 2
Captiva House
Master Bedroom
great bedroom
September 15, 2012 at 4:13am     
hm k
Wow! Thanks everyone!! I've moved the bedside table back and put the chair in another corner and it's much better. I love all of these ideas particularly the idea of putting a stone wall behind the bed. Given the expense of the stone is there another way to add texture? Wallpaper maybe?
Dia Maria, I'd love to see pics!
September 15, 2012 at 4:38am   
There are paintable wallpapers that have texture. These can make great accents walls in a bedroom. There are tons of different designs. This photo just shows you how they work (and I'm not suggesting bubblegum pink as an accent color!):

September 15, 2012 at 4:43am     
If you think you'd like the look of a stone wall behind the bed, here's a mural you might be interested in, fairly inexpensive http://www.seventhavenue.com/Pebbles-Wall-Mural.pro?omSource=SLI
September 15, 2012 at 4:51am   
hm k
here's the update (from my leather chair :)
The framed pictures have been hanging around my place for ages so I threw them up, but I'll replace them with something more interesting.
curious about a rug under the bed. I really like that idea. Considering the colour of my curtains and throws (silvery dusty blue), what colour should I paint the walls? Should the colour contrast the curtains or match it?
September 15, 2012 at 7:14am     
Decaleco
Looks nice, however I'd definitely hang the frames much higher.
September 15, 2012 at 7:29am   
pcmom1
Looks so much better!

I do think you need more substantial lamps on each side of bed. Wish I could show my lamps to you (must learn how to send!), be great in your room. They have dark metal bases that look like 3 pieces of bamboo and very dark angular shades. I found them at Kubler's furniture.

So, go around to stores and ask to bring some lamps home "on approval". After the lamps are added the art may need to go elsewhere in the room, over the bed perhaps.
September 15, 2012 at 7:47am     
mpoulsom
I'm pretty sure you can find wallpapers in almost any design you want...I even found concrete wallpaper and concrete with graffiti on it! I couldn't believe it! google it and it will show up. Sure you could find some stone or brick or whatever you want. Total Wallcovering.com has some stone, marble, pebble etc. wallcoverings. Not sure how they look in person, but if that's what you want, I'm sure you can find it.
September 15, 2012 at 8:19am     
inkwitch
Whatever color you decide on, patch test before you commit. I went through 5 samples before I hit on wht I wanted. If I'd gone with the first one, I would have hated it. Paint never looks the same as a 2"x2" color chip and store lighting.

The curtain rod looks as if it's bowing; a more substantial one would suit the room's style a little better. I use closet poles cut to length from a lumber store, painted to suit. But a slightly thicker curtain rod seems necessary.

Your colors are the same as my bedroom: cream & that lovely dusty blue that is so popular. I struggled over wall color for months, tested a half-dozen colors, but opted in the end for a soft golden hue as a good contrast to the blue, providing a sense of warmth and lightness. Painted walls and ceiling the same color as it was light enough. It gave the ceiling an aspect of being higher than it is and the result is an overall flow of color. (I've painted all the ceilings in my house the same color as hte walls, but I'm using light colors. Higher 9-10' ceilings can be painted almost any color.)

Already the room has more style and presence with the changes you've made. You could use another piece of art on the short wall by the chair. You're getting there! Taller lamps, hang the pictures higher, and declutter the nightstands, and you've got it!
September 15, 2012 at 10:03am   
colleendunleavy
A bedroom should be a calming and peaceful place to rest after a long day. Try a monochromic color scheme of grey. A paisley wallpaper just on the wall with the bed, Z Gallerie glass side lamps, re-upholster headboard in grey velvet, and use a simple hotel collection bedding.
September 15, 2012 at 11:11am     
ellamh
I would definately do a rug under the bed. Geometric shapes are really in right now! I would recommended hanging those two pictures in the middle of you bed and doing mirrors above your night stands. I would go to a local department store and hunt down crystal lamps/glass lamps. The bases being the clear glass and the shades a very neutral color. I would add pops of color in your pillows leave your bedding the white but maybe add a very lush blanket/throw at the end something that replicates sheep skin will look beautiful. As far as your curtains I would add a little sas to them and maybe get something with a geometric pattern or even the curtains that are a white base color with two thick stripes at the bottom which add a weight to the look of them to balance out the window. As far as your back wall brick would look fabulous but can be very time consuming as well as expensive. Maybe something to consider would be to do wall fabric paneling the width of your bed (please see picture below ..I would only do width of the bed and height from floor to ceiling) and a fabulous wall paper! Happy Designing :)
September 15, 2012 at 12:56pm     
yorkieowner
No broken rules! I would add a bold color behind the bed, maybe a dark colored wallpaper. If the wall adjacent to the night table is available, I would put two large prints. Add a table lamp on the table and a pendant by the chair. This is what I would do.
September 15, 2012 at 3:42pm     
dmille345
Some suggestions: paint 12" horizontal stripes in one or two shades darker than wall color behind bed; hang drapery rods higher-raise to intersection of vertical sides and curved top, use wall sconces and hang at appox 5' from floor. Love the round sunburst mirror above.
September 16, 2012 at 4:24am     
Patricia Mahan
I would suggest you paint the wall behind the bed a soft agua or muted blue gray or mauve gray and then put a few white mum flower decals (from urban walls) randomly on the wall in back.
September 16, 2012 at 6:27am   
Patricia Mahan
September 16, 2012 at 6:27am   
Patricia Mahan
September 16, 2012 at 6:28am   
hm k
dmille345, do you have a pic of the drapery rods over a bed? I love that idea! The wall is quite long though...
September 16, 2012 at 7:07am   
Beth Morrow
Lots of great ideas already...but since I like to add my two cents...here they are:
1. If you want to hang lights beside the bed...add a long mirror over the night stand And the light will reflect beautifully from the mirror and it's a good visual.
2. Chair: move it to the foot of the bed w a small side table or into a corner or into another room
3. Above the bed: 2 large pieces of art w a wrought iron pice above them; 3 smaller pieces; 4 pieces...done by stacking 2 and 2.
4. Paint the wall behind the bed...you choose, but stay calming...no hot pink in the master please!
5. The room looks large enough for something at the foot of the bed..a bench or an old trunck would be nice!
6. Floors: looks lke you already have carpet, but a rug on top of the carpet is always nice...not necessary, but nice!
Good luck! You have a beautiful space to work with here, can't wait to see the transformation!
September 16, 2012 at 7:08am     
hm k
Beth, can you please elaborate on your 3rd point? Thanks!
September 16, 2012 at 7:21am   
cyn222
I tend to like one long horizontal piece of art above the bed. Pick your favorite color and do the headboard wall and play up that color with pillows or throws. As for the chair, I don't see any reason why it can't be there. I know many mentioned to put it at the foot of your bed and that is fine if you have some room. I would put it where I have the best view. I find rules are broken all the time, so why start now if you like it! Noone is coming to your home anytime soon to give you an award, so just enjoy!
September 16, 2012 at 7:23am     
Jo Allan
@collendunlevy...LOVE the wallpaper suggestion and color. I would add a suggestion but are so many good ones already I'll just say good luck and I'm sure it will look great!
September 16, 2012 at 7:52am   
Jo Allan
@misslazic...had to say the lamps are stunning and I have a throw just like the picture you posted and it's my favorite. I would add one small suggestion that if the ceiling fan is not needed to chane it out for a wonderful straight lighting fixture to your taste. We did this and it made a bigger difference than we thought. But if you need the fan and like it than I think that could work too.
September 16, 2012 at 7:58am   
jtburk
Your lamps, whether you use table lamps or wall-hung, should not be too small in scale. For wall-hung lamps, sit on the bed and hang them so that the bottom of the shades are at your eye level. That way, you could actually sit up and read in bed. Raise the curtain rod to the TOP of the arch over the window- you could then close the curtains if you need light control and the window won't look cut in half. PLEASE do not put stone or brick on the wall behind the bed- your furniture is too refined for that and it looks fake. Big horizontal stripes on the walls would look great, but do the whole room, not just the headboard wall. Then find a piece of art that "speaks" to you to hang over the bed- nothing too small.
September 16, 2012 at 8:27am   
Beth Morrow
Sure
I was just trying to get you thinking in different arenas ..for instance...etc, etc..
In my guest room I have two botanicals in black frames hung on the wall behind the bed and then above them I hung a beautiful, black, wrought iron piece. My room is done in black, green and zebra and other black and white fabric prints on the bed. Looks great!
The three prints could be hung straight across in a horizontal or the middle one hung slightly higher than the ones on the side of it...the mountain effect. The last one,(4). You hang two in the center of the bed then go directly above those two and and hang two more...these need to relate. I'm away from my pc so unable to post pics., but I think this helps clear it up. I tend to think everyone sees exactly like my A D D Brain types...sorry! :)

I love that color blue that you have in the drapes! That would be gorgeous behind the bed and then try a light beige (Eddie Bauers Flax) on the adjacent walls (ck. out the tutorial for butting colors...same as painting stripes).
Those pictures that you have over the night stands would work great over the bed with the wrought iron topper. Then put a mirror where they are hanging. The lamps left as they are seem to be too small for this space. Bring in some books, stack them until that shade is higher. A beautiful blue or beige tassel would be great hung on the lamps as well.
I agree that your rod needs to be a little more substantial. I used the closet rod all the time when I was doing model homes..,cheap and works great.
Chair looks perfect in that corner...a blue or brown ginger jar would make a perfect table for a small lamp and a book. Then put a throw over the back of the chair that is the color of the drapes and add a blanket or throw the same color on the foot of the bed.
You are on your way girl! Keep the pictures coming!
Any ?s are welcome!
September 16, 2012 at 10:52am   
ellamh
@hm k ... Looks great! Are you still going to hang those two framed pics in the middle of the bed? starting to look cozy :)
September 17, 2012 at 2:18pm   
hm k
Here's an update. Pics aren't great and I still have to hang the mirrors, but it gives a sense of what I am trying to achieve.
I tried to make my side of the bed a little more feminine with the lighter colour lamp shade and the rounded edges in contrast to my husband's side. I like that they are different, but still manage to go together.
I think I am going to wallpaper the wall behind with something soft like the one attached or maybe something in a gray that is tone on tone.
Thoughts?
September 17, 2012 at 2:20pm   
ellamh
@hm k love the wall paper!
September 17, 2012 at 2:22pm   
mpoulsom
Like the mirrors....nice! Like your lamp a lot....just my opinion, but I think they need to be the same on both sides. Please don't hate me! LOL!
September 17, 2012 at 2:22pm   
ellamh
@hm k Have you every considered changing the knobs on your night stands to glass knobs? we have these in our showroom and they are to die for!
September 17, 2012 at 2:24pm   
hm k
I love those knobs!
As for the art, I want to hang something meaningful and I haven't found 'it' yet.
Now I'm conflicted about the mismatched lamps.
hmmm...
September 17, 2012 at 7:06pm   
Beth Morrow
Looking good girl! Love the mirrors and lamps. Throw is perfect ! I'm sure by now you can already see that the room is coming together and it is all relating.
If I might suggest, when you hang the mirrors, try eye level. You are building on your focal point and as things keep getting higher on the wall, the room will begin to look bigger and the area more prominent . I would still try to stay with the blue in the drapes or go beige or a light brown on the wall behind the bed. There is also a new painting technique that is neat. First you paint you wall in a flat paint, then you stencil over it in the same color but use a high gloss.
That paper that is in the bathroom also comes in a stencil. That would be great to relate the two rooms if that is in your master bath.
Now, I know this might sound trivial, but I would position the lamps in the center of the mirrors too.. I know, picky, picky, but details matter:), please don't hate me!
And one last thing, I think yorkieowner, posted some great pics of ideas for the room, well, that starburst mirror would look fantastic on a wall that is stenciled. Ck. out www.southernhospitality.com, She has a room in her DIY projects that is stenciled w a mirror like that over the bed. Love it!
Don't stop now girl...you are well on your way. I'm so excited for you! Keep the pictures coming!
September 17, 2012 at 7:29pm     
bamamom
Looking great! Definitely centered the lamps when you hand the mirrors.
I'm going to suggest the shade be the same color. I like the different but both clear lamps, but feel the shades should at least be the same color even if not the exact same shape. :-) The dark shade was the first thing I noticed and then I went to the rest of what you have accomplished.

Look forward to seeing new pics as you progress towards the finish line.
September 17, 2012 at 8:11pm     
Beth Morrow
I agree w bamamom...shades nees to be the same color....the dark tilts the room to the left. But lamps are great!:)
September 18, 2012 at 4:07am     
bamamom
I just saw an episode of a bedroom makeover on HGTV, with Carter Osterhouse (sp) and he had used totally different tables on each side of the bed, but both were black (one was actually round and the other a very small console type) so they "matched". The lamps too were both crystal but different shapes but both had white shades in a different shape (one more masculine and one more feminine). Was a very chic looking room.

HC if you have another white shade in the house, give it a try and see what you think. I would keep the lamps though! Very nice.
September 18, 2012 at 4:41am   
Nancy Hehmann
If you need wall art of any kind, look on Etsy.com. It is a website where artisans and craftsman of all types have individual little shops. You can use the search engine to narrow it down by putting what you would like in it. A lot of the shops are owned by people from the US, Canada and many other countries all of the world. My shop is photography, nancyhehmann. But, there are also plaques, paintings, the wall decals people have talked about above, Custom initials floating in glass with a black frame. So many great things. You can perhaps purchase something unique to love for a long time.
September 18, 2012 at 5:11am     
hm k
should the shades be made of the same material or just be the same tone of grey? I think I will have trouble matching both the colour and the material.
September 22, 2012 at 8:45am   
syd34
I like plantation blinds. They block out the light and I usually use white to stay neutral. Have them in all my rooms.
September 22, 2012 at 9:02am   
hm k
Oops. Sorry, I was referring to the lamp shades... :)
September 22, 2012 at 9:47am   

Love all the the above suggestions. Here is another take. Walls darker, fabric behind bed to highlight both the bed and the lights you want to hang. Not crazy about the chair. How about the bench?
September 22, 2012 at 9:53am   
bamamom
hm k.....just the same color family should work.

judyg...that is a gorgeous bedroom you found and posted.
September 22, 2012 at 10:15am   
Beth Morrow
Just the same color...I actually thought you were hanging lamps like the picture posted by Judyg, however, I think you are on the right track:). Don't stop now:)
September 22, 2012 at 6:06pm   
What can I do with these cabinets???
Need help with very outdated kitchen. What can I do...
Need help with juliet balcony waterproofing (decorative railing)
I have a bay window and I would like to install a decorative...
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...
What do you think of this combination?
Dear friends, what do you make of this? Would the door...
dried flower arrangement
My husband thinks this dried flower arrangement is...