Please help me with my living room - cannot decide what colors to use
Alexander Chaika
Hi there,

Please take a look at my problem. I have 22 square meters living room (5.8x3.8), I finished with furniture design: room contains workplace, sofa, transforming bed and storage. It has everything I need (except coffee table, I did not done it).

I have some experience with 3D modelling but I can not choose appropriate colors for my room :) Please help me with room decorating: floor color, sofa color and pillows shape, shelves look and feel, etc...

I also attached examples of designs liked to me.

You can refer to my intermediate renders to see my results (images attached).

ps: I like warm colors (light-yellow, orange, cream, etc...)

inkwitch
Is the first photo your space? Great modern beginning, and lots of potential there. An area rug in a color/pattern you like will provide a certain energy and give you a color scheme to carry through. If the furniture is gray (photos don't always give true colors), you have plenty of options for style (euro-modern? mid-century? minimalist?)

An interesting floor lamp with a comfortable chair and footstool would be a good addition. Something in a darker gray or a traditional chair in a fun print. A round table (to counteract all the square-ness of the rest of the furniture) in front of the window with a couple of lucite chairs or metal chairs painted a bright color you like. Just be sure they're comfortable.YOu don't need more furniture. OPen spaces will make it feel bigger.
September 14, 2012 at 6:28PM   
cyn222
Love the space. Pull the orange up on one wall and great some graphic design with white into it. maybe circles that appear to be floating around to the other wall, except when the hit the other wall they turn orange. Love the warm colors! Do you plan on painting the cabinets, shelves, etc? How about using the orange yellow tone there and working rich wood tones into shelving and counter tops. Something similar to wood in second picture. I love the geometric prints. Pillows could be easy to make as well with a block print or just a brush and some fabric paint. Your current paint color tends to have a blue base so pull out the orange to compliment it, but stay in the same tone. Hope this helps some to start.
September 14, 2012 at 7:48PM     
I would use a wood floor the color that is in the third picture. I like cyn222's idea of one orange wall and I would paint the others a warm medium gray. Yello,. orange and turquoise for the pillows.
September 15, 2012 at 7:54AM   
Design Moe Kitchen & Bath / Heather Moe designer
Thanks, Alexander, for including your design examples to your inquiry. (I think you can find the answers to your questions in those photos.) All three examples have white or off-white walls with light wood accents (door trim, wall paneling, window shades, etc.). These clean white walls keep the spaces light and architectural. (What are an architect's three favorite colors? White, white, and then, white.) Then, per inkwitch above and per the design examples, you need to find an area rug with the warm, bright colors that you love. Use the colors in the rug for pillows, art, lamps, and fun accents (a bright colored desk chair?). The upholstery color on your sofa/bed in the rendering needs to change from the current pale yellow to either a neutral oatmeal/white (to blend with the walls) or a bright color pulled from the rug. And you do need to add some furniture (table & chairs? Reading chair and lamp?) opposite your built-in to balance the room.
September 15, 2012 at 10:05AM   
Vikrant Sharma Homez
I liked the second Picture .
September 15, 2012 at 1:04PM   
Alexander Chaika
Thank you :) Following your guides I've decided to stay with white walls and wooden furniture (but may be I'll choose light wood). I'll put orange pillows, rug and other items and then interior will look much better. Here are my latest visualizations:
September 20, 2012 at 8:52AM   
Looks great, Alexander. Thank you for showing us. Now make sure that you add in one or two BIG pieces of color (probably the rug and some large art work); don't make the mistake of placing isolated little colored items evenly placed around the room.
Large items (or a large grouping of items) will help your space feel intentional and bold. Good luck shopping!
September 21, 2012 at 9:06AM   
Easily cleanable tiny narrow dark corridor
Hi any ideas on colours to lighten up this very narrow...
Help needed with room wall space.
We purchased a new townhouse a few months back. Now...
Need help with kitchen backsplash
We are building a new house and I am not able to decide...
Too cluttered counters?
Hi there, revamping my kitchen but not sure how best...