Paint or not? Maple Kitchen Cabinets

Leslie HughesSeptember 13, 2012
Hi - our kitchen is middle of the road. We upgraded it this past summer with new appliances, taking down dated wall paper, and putting in a limestone backsplash. We would like to replace the kitchen cabinets, particularly the uppers but will be trying to sell the home early next year due to a move. So one thought is to paint the existing maple cabinets white. The other thought is to replace the uppers with nicer maple cabinets. Obviously painting is cheaper. Would love to hear thoughts or other ideas!
triplelll
Your kitchen is perfect!
If you are planning on selling your home, a suggestion that came to mind is that instead of
painting the cabinets (cost, time) I would add a few pop accents of a colour in the kitchen accessories.
They will pop against the overall tone of the kitchen, and in the end, you can take it with you! I like the idea of reds, red blender, toaster, red and white striped bowls and cups in the glass cabinets etc. and matching towels etc. or green. I would also put up a kitchy sign (wood or canvas for the space between the cabinets and wall over the stove. I would add a huge bunch of flowers on the L shaped gray countertop. So my point is, if you are selling your home, look at each room, downsize and then bring in pops of colour accents. It is way less expensive, and you can spend your extra time on looking for the new dream home. Buyers just need to see a clear space, so they can picture their stuff in it. You can stage your own home, while living in it, pack the clutter away (easier for the move) and pick up a few accent pieces, if needed, to stage the rooms. Let the new buyers do the renos!
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 8:59AM
accidentaldiva
As someone who just went through the home buying/selling process, I feel very strongly that you should take the time to paint them. Your kitchen would be truly lovely, then and it's a great selling point to be move-in ready. A nice cream would make the appliances pop and update the kitchen tremendously. While not everyone would choose cream, very few people dislike it and it would look very clean and bright.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 9:57AM
Reader Area Development, Inc.
If you are serious about selling, then I would definitely not purchase the new uppers. The return on your money will not be a 100%. White is a good choice for painting and I think your best option. Another idea to give you a different dimension to the current cabinets would be to replace the hardware. With white cabinetry a dark pull might be a good contrast.

Most homebuyers will want the move-in ready product. Don't give them one more way to say no to your house.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 10:44AM
bamamom
I think just paint the cabinets and leave everything else as is. The soft tan of your walls will really pop against the white cabinets. The stainless appliances and grey /brown(?) countertops with the white will look very modern. Very pretty kitchen.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 10:48AM
watsont7633
Why don't you try adding some wide trim at the top of the cabinets to give them more height and dimension. Then paint.
    Bookmark   September 11, 2014 at 3:01PM
Cancork Floor Inc.
2 year old post.
    Bookmark   September 11, 2014 at 3:50PM
emgeedee
to paint or not to paint kitchen cabinets?
I am contemplating painting my solid maple kitchen...
normajsmith
professional painting of dark maple kitchen cabinets
Kitchen cabinets (1970's) dark male need rejuvinating....
avivagreen
kitchen cabinet color help
Hi. I want to paint my light maple kitchen cabinets...
ejdancer
Kitchen Cabinet paint color
I am planning to paint my very "orange" maple kitchen...
kimsilva
Way to much wood. Need help
My wife and I bought our second house on a piece of...
sprtslvr785
Wallpaper for Accent wall in Living/Dining Room
Will this wallpaper look good on the accent wall behind...
pracheeti
Help find coffee table
I can't seem to figure out what coffee table would...
blackiu
I am trying to decide between Kraftmaid's dove white...
lkh91962
Painting old dresser
I want to paint/repurpose this old dresser. It has...
meganbuch