Need ideas for updating front of house and back of lakehouse.
michellerunsnow
Just bought this home, about 20 years old, not loving the front. Need ideas of how to update it and make it prettier. Thinking different landscaping, painting the door, shutters? In the back, lattice needs to go, blocks daughters view from room and is just dirt under the deck-any ideas on that area also? Not looking to spend a fortune on the outside of the home. First 2 photos are of the front, next 2 are of the area between house and lattice-blocking the lake view! I was thinking stained concrete possibly for under the deck? Want to do something a bit unique, but not expensive. Husband is handy too-has built retaining walls, basement, etc., so we definately can do some work ourselves. I really need some ideas-I'm better at inside a house then the outside!
michellerunsnow
More photos
September 13, 2012 at 7:24pm   
michellerunsnow
Back of house-door leading to the lake
September 13, 2012 at 7:27pm   
michellerunsnow
Here's the lattice view from the lake- and the last photo gives you an idea of the house and how it sits on the lake. Any and all advice would be AWESOME!
September 13, 2012 at 7:34pm   
larryhinkle
[houzz=Rear- Exterior]30th Street Residence[houzz=Curved House]jewell - exterior front

Change out the siding on the window areas with wood.

New light fixture

Replace the side window on the door with clear glass
September 13, 2012 at 7:35pm   
What a great setting, I agree the lattice definitely needs to go ! Perhaps opening up underneath the deck and clad the posts with stone that works with the existing brick color.

September 13, 2012 at 7:45pm   
larryhinkle
September 13, 2012 at 8:39pm   
michellerunsnow
larryhinkle-I like the idea of wood instead of siding-never would have thought of that, agree with new lighting fixture-was thinking of painting it (house has a lot of brass in it so a lot of fixtures need changing, but now I think I need a bigger light also.)
I'm not sure what you mean by "replace the side window by the door with clear glass"-the door itself we should replace-it is dented/ugly anyway, and next to the door are skinny windows-I was thinking of a wood door?

dytecture-like your idea too of stone around posts-our house we are leaving has ledgestone on posts in front entry-love it.

Any landscaping ideas anyone has would be great too-I know we need to get rid of some of the shrubs and the tree in front looks too close to the house too me, we live in Michigan-would love something easy, lots of color (flowering bushes?), organic looking-large rocks maybe-something to make the house less blah/brown.
September 14, 2012 at 4:16am   
rollifam
How about painting your door to brighten up your entry? I think it would draw your eye into the front door. Painting the trim around the light box windows around the door would be nice, too. Gorgeous home! Love the big windows in the back! Enjoy! The tree does look close to the house, too bad they didn't plant it just a little further way. Such a nice tree! I wonder if it would survive a move? Looks like hosta grows well in your area!
September 14, 2012 at 4:34am   
michellerunsnow
bcreaytiv-are the light box windows the side windows? I agree on painting the door-maybe a rusty red color. I wondered about moving the tree too-and yes-hosta grows really easy here-don't really do anything with it-had too much at my old house and not enough colored plants.
September 14, 2012 at 4:45am   
lessismoore
I'd want to move (get rid of, donate?) that tree in front - replace with something "airier," smaller, Like a red acer maple that you can keep small and that would balance better with the other bush/tree on the front side window. Looking closer, I can see that big tree is hiding a smaller topiary closer to the front door too. One of those need to go away to open the front up some. Maybe both of them.
September 14, 2012 at 8:46am   
J.T. Design
The front of the house entryway is the wrong scale. You may already feel this but might not have been able to put it into words. The brick portion above the frog mouth archway is too tall for that opening, so either the opening should have been scaled up, or the roof scaled down. As a fix, the simplest thing, which would also solve another problem with weather protection, is to add another gabled roof in front of the existing, but about 2 feet lower and out at least 6 feet. You'll need to check your local codes to see if your are not already smushed up against your front yard setback, and look for the "exception" that allows certain height covered roofs to extend into the setbacks. Many local codes allow this.

The lattice is hiding some ugly features, but it can be fixed with one of those deck drains systems that don't leave those unsightly drain lines: http://www.dekdrain.com/dekdrainintro.php

Then some nice landscaping would help spruce up the lakeside facade as well as the street side.
September 14, 2012 at 10:05am   
michellerunsnow
J.T. design- I think you put what I was thinking into words-the front just looked off-balance to me-maybe that is the problem-too tall of brick-your idea sounds good but probably more money then I want to fork out. Probably worth getting a quote on though.
The whole deck is screwy-the prior owners put Trex on top of the wood, that's a whole 'nother project we'll have to work on!
There are some smart creative people out their-haven't heard a bad idea yet-keep the idea's coming people-I welcome them all!
September 14, 2012 at 6:40pm   
Wall color and advise on tiny house
As you can see I live in a tiny house, with an open...
Help with design and furniture arrangement in new house!
Hello - We are moving into our new house next week...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Must I paint the doors in my condo the same as the jams?
Moving into a new loft condo and it has too many wooden...