When you empty the dishwasher, where do you put cups and mugs? In a drawer in the island?
micherine
September 14, 2012 in Photo Questions
swoondesign
Great question! My goal when I designed this kitchen was to maximize windows, light, and views, and minimize upper storage. The only upper cabinets we have are on inside walls. Plus we have a pantry for food. Of course we still had to store all those things you usually put in an upper cabinet, so where did we put them? Down below!

We keep bowls and plates in drawers in the island directly across from the dishwasher. If you look at the other kitchen photo which shows the island to the right and the fridge straight ahead, you can see two deep drawers on the island - one is for plates, one is for bowls. We use a Hafele peg system to keep the dishes from knocking against each other. http://www.hafele.com/. We keep the glasses in the long, skinny cupboard to the left of the fridge, and cups and mugs in the upper cupboard to the left of the stove (you can't see it in this photo, but it's there).

Hope that helps.
September 25, 2012 at 10:02am     
dkt3554
Such a warm and comforting kitchen. That view as I came down the stairs would get me out of bed in the morning! We are doing something similar with our corner. Stepping down the counter top and making a place for the dogs to lay under with smaller windows below for them to look out!! Beautiful job!!
March 3, 2013 at 10:55am   
pgeis
Oohh -- I want to curl up in that window seat with a cup of tea while you putz about in the kitchen. Or work in the kitchen while someone I love is curled up in that seat. Absolutely inspiring concept! Well done!
March 3, 2013 at 11:07am     
dmhdecor
Thank you for posting your kitchen. I feel such an immediate response to it. Comforting and life giving...the heart of the home.
April 9, 2013 at 11:02am     
Decorating or redecorating?
Just have to tell everyone I found this amazing website....
How should I arrange our great room?
Our carpet was removed and hardwood being installed...
Hardwood or tiles for kitchen?
I am a new home owner of a 10 year old house. I'm planning...
Need help in replacing my Pallidian window
Palladian windows are just now our style and since...
Help with family room layout
Hi everyone! I need you help! We just finished remodeling...