Need help in redoing china cabinet
Linda Simelaro
Just bought this china cabinet at Salvation Army. Style of home is contemporary. Current furniture is dark wood. Walls will be lighter in the almond family. The floor will be stained concrete in the brown mocha family. My end/coffee tables are dark brown . My accent colors are citrene, tan, fuchsia and light rust. Should I keep cabinet in the current condition or should I paint it?. The finish is very well kept. I have a sample of the upholstery on one of my chairs that shows the accent colors and a sample of the upholstery of another chair which is an antique barber chair. My sofa and end chair are chocolate brown.
TanCalGal
I like this the way it is. The finish looks so nice. You can always change your mind at a later time. What do you plan to keep on the shelves?
September 14, 2012 at 8:25pm     
Paint it fuschia if you love bold colors. Rust if you want a more "conventional" look. What would display your personality? Bold? Expected? I say go bold first then accessorize accordingly. If it just "isn't you" you can always repaint.
September 14, 2012 at 8:51pm   
Ruth Tekell
Wow, that's a neat china cabinet! I think maybe what you don't like, what I see as a bit incongruous with contemporary or modern, is the way the wood grain jumps out -- it's not a fine grain, which would look modern and I don't know of anything you could feasibly do about that. So that just leaves paint. If you paint the large surfaces a color that goes with (not matches necessarily) your other colors in the room, and the choose a slightly darker color shade or even a different color for the recessed areas, it might be more what you're looking for. However what you do not what to do, because of the rug, is make it appear too busy with highly contrasting, saturated colors. Even if you painted the whole thing one color, it could solve the problem. If you painted it all one color, you could just look at it for awhile and decide what accent color, if any to use in the recesses. It sounds like you have a lot of heavy dark colors in there already. The piece looks pretty massive, so you might want to lighten it up a bit. Speaking of light-- you could wire it for light on the inside and highlight some of your more colorful dishes or glass. I bought some Kwal metallic paint in silver and mixed in some powered pigments of different colors, one was a lot like fuchsia and the others were blue and green. The pigments were metallic, which you can buy at a craft store. I mixed them separately so I had three cans of silver metal paint tinted with pink, blue, and green. Then I randomly painted them on two massive dark brown by-pass doors, sanded it down and sealed it with a satin polyurethane. The came out beautifully. It this were my china cabinet, I think that's what I'd do. It really is stunning and every who has seen them liked the a lot. It would require a light sanding and so experimentation. But paint has evolved into something much more interesting lately... Here are some photos of the effect, but the camera doesn't do it justice. The silver metal paint is the basis of the magic.
September 14, 2012 at 9:15pm   
Old fashioned China Cabinet needs help to update
Old cherry finish. My style has changed since moving...
Need help with updating china cabinet.
Any ideas, suggestions on how to update, modernize...
Need help deciding on paint color for china cabinet
I have my mother's beautiful pine china cabinet I would...
Need help with paint color on "so called" china cabinet
We live in an older mobile home. Over the years I've...
Help! Redoing kitchen -need help with cabinets
We are only painting our cabinets but I wanted to have...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
This living room looks not right
This living room looks OK, but there is something wrong...
Home sick in Louisiana
Everywhere I look I see brown / goldish stain. I love...
help with paint color
I need help choosing a wall color for a guest bedroom,...