Need help picking backsplash
tracygstone
September 14, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are working on the design for our kitchen and are stumped on the backsplash. We have picked out white cabinets - shaker style - that we really like and have picked out a cream colored ceasar stone that we really like.

What we can't figure out the right backsplash. We fluctuate between a white ceramic subway tile and natural stone subway tile.

We are thinking of chrome hardware on the cabinets and lights. Does that make a difference? When is it good to use a shiny ceramic tile vs. a muted stone tile?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houssaon
I personally like the classic look of the white subway tile with the lighter counter top and shaker style cabinets. You can't go wrong with that combo.
   September 14, 2012 at 9:21PM
PRO
FINNE Architects
With white cabinets and a creamy Caesarstone, you have a very subtle and beautiful palette. I would consider making the backsplash a bit of an accent piece. You could introduce a stone mosaic like Ann Sacks Selvaggio tile in cream and white. Or, another direction would be a glass mosaic. Good luck!
Nils Finne, AIA
   September 14, 2012 at 10:55PM
charleee
Glass mosaic everytime! It will add beauty and class to your kitchen.
   September 15, 2012 at 2:22AM
feeny
It sounds like you are striving for a very classic, timeless kitchen design. Here's an ideabook (below) on classic kitchens that I've found helpful. We went with an ivory ceramic subway tile with our ivory Shaker cabinets and have been very happy with it (extremely easy to clean, classic minimalist look), but we have dark soapstone counters rather than your light caeserstone. Both dark and light counters, however, look great with light subway tile. But your choices so far are neutral enough that many different backsplash stones or tiles could look great with your kitchen. It's just a question of what effect you are trying to achieve.

September 15, 2012 at 3:32AM
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with adding a touch of color that matches the creamy shade of the cassarstone. Shiny finish backsplash are easier to clean while a satin finish doesn't show grease and dirt as much. Good Luck.

September 15, 2012 at 5:24AM