Need advice for my kitchen cabinets
jmt5
September 15, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have honey oak cabinets in our kitchen that are in good condition. We just want a new, updated look. My kitchen is french country/tuscan decor, and I'm looking to paint the cabinets off-white. Would it be better to paint the cabinets or stain them? I spoke to a painter who said he would recommend using a pickling stain on them so they wouldn't chip, and it would hide the grain of the oak, which is what I want. Is this the way to go?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
I think I would like to see a sample of the painters pickling stain. Pickling was very popular a while ago but has since faded away, and I'm not sure of it hiding the grain of the oak. Pictures would be really helpful here!
September 15, 2012 at 2:07am   
feeny
Agree with Bobbi. Pickled oak cabinets can look very dated, as they were a fad in the 1980s. I think you'd be better off painting. It would be a shame to spend money updating your honey oak cabinets only to turn them into a different outdated style.
September 15, 2012 at 3:59am   
PRO
Dytecture
I have painted maple cabinets for 5 years and it still looks quite new for using it daily.

September 15, 2012 at 5:19am     
charleee
I painted my maple cabinets about 1 1/2 years ago and they're still going strong too.

I've done pickling, or white washing before on knotty pine, and I promise you, the grain and the knots show thru. And knotty pine is much lighter in color than honey oak.
September 15, 2012 at 5:40am   
jmt5
thank you all! I'm just curious....I was on Houzz last night looking up whitewashing, and there were some gorgeous pics of whitewashed oak cabinetry with distressed cherry islands (I have one of those in my kitchen), that had a very French/Old World look. If I were to go after that look by whitewashing the cabinets, would it look outdated?
September 15, 2012 at 6:43am   
feeny
I love the look of whitewashed wood paneling in rooms and on cabinets when it gives them a very simple rustic effect (a bit like driftwood), and I don't find that look dated. But I'd need to see your cabinet door design to judge whether that is the effect you would get from whitewashing or not. The pickled oak cabinets from the 1980's ended up having almost pinkish tones to the wood and often had raised panel doors with arched tops, whereas in the photos below you'll see the cabinet doors are very simple, almost stark shaker panel designs. Can you grab one of the inspiration photos you found last night as well as posting a photo of your kitchen? I think that would help people here give more precise advice.
New Moon Cottage
In The Country
September 15, 2012 at 6:55am