Looking for ideas to modernise the front of my house
Philip Stott-Wasson
Hello, I am just looking for some inspiration to spruce of the front of the house.

I am thinking of converting the garage to a more usable living area, such as utility / study / shower room. The only limitation I have here is that the ceiling is pretty low inside, so will need to somehow make sure that there is plenty of light coming in from the front, maybe also some roof lights or similar (except I wouldn't like to be able to see the roof light domes from the road as I think it looks messy).
I am looking for ideas to block in the existing garage door and replace with a large window of some description. It will still be obvious that there used to be a garage door there though, so I was wondering if I should somehow make a feature out of it - although am a bit stuck for ideas!

The other thing I was thinking of doing was to bring the existing front door out to the front line of the porch. This would give room to make a fairly thin corridor through to the side of the garage (which at the moment only has access from the front)

I also don't generally like flat roofs so that was the other idea I was toying with.

Lastly on the side of the house I was thinking of installing a wide landscape type window on the first floor to give lots of light into the bedroom. There are beautiful views onto the sea from the existing front and side proposed window and I want to maximise this as much as possible.

Be very grateful for any further ideas.

Many thanks!
cyn222
First of all I assume you can change the look. Appears to be a townhouse type unit. How about chaing out the slatted wood for similar rock style like near doorway. I would add verticle slats of wide wood down both sides of window area . If like the white as it keeps it feeling modern. As for flat roof, you can add a slight slant by raising it up slightly. Nice home.
September 15, 2012 at 11:22am   

Fabulous!
September 15, 2012 at 11:58am   
Philip Stott-Wasson
@cyn222
Thanks. One thing I don't exactly love is the stone wall near the front door! I quite like the black tile stripe going from top to bottom (I assume this is what you are referring to as slatted wood?)
The property is in Cornwall UK, but not exactly a townhouse. There is 3 in a row of a similar build, this one is right on the end, at the end of a cul-de-sac.
@judyg
Thanks, this is certainly a good idea.. Although I'm not sure if this may be a bit too modern?
September 15, 2012 at 12:32pm   
Vikrant Sharma Homez
@JUDYG , The inspirational picture is really nice , I myself had been thinking about something like that .
September 15, 2012 at 12:54pm   
Here is another modern take with alternating the roof as well.

September 15, 2012 at 1:15pm     
Philip Stott-Wasson
@Dytecture
Thanks although my budget will surely be preventing me undertaking such works!
September 15, 2012 at 1:17pm   
Philip Stott-Wasson
dytecture has got me thinking along the lines of a roof conversion and going for dormers.. But my roof has got a real shallow pitch and the headroom at the apex is not all that great. Has anyone got any other ideas how I could utilise this otherwise worthless space??
cheers
September 30, 2012 at 12:08am   
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....
Kitchen Backsplash Help!
Ideas anyone!? I wanted a clean simple gray colored...
LED bulbs in Halo 6" can?
I have purchased some 6" Halo Remodel IC Recessed Light...
Bay window looking out onto sun room
Isn't it weird to have a bay window that looks out...