Need help for eat-in kitchen/dining/entry
Nichole Groshek_ShaveSeptember 15, 2012
We are moving into a new home shortly and I have NO IDEA what to do with this space. It certainly needs a kitchen table - my husband wants a round table to seat our family of 6. Will this fit? I think a 60" would work in the 13' 6" space but then the other half is so bare. What would you do with the other half of the entry from the garage/dining area?

We don't want to do any major remodel because in 5 years we have a goal to add a beautiful curved staircase; so for right now we just need a design that will flow for our young family (kids are 1, 2, 3 & 5-years-old).

Thank you so much for any advice!!!
pcmom1
Since you have four very young ones, why not give that spot to the kids? It is out of the way, but still within your sight as you work in the kitchen. At those ages their toys are rather large: play kitchen, small bean bag chairs, low craft table.

For fun: frame up some of their creations as wall art. Or hang large candid black and white photo of each child.

You even have a closet there to store toys and supplies away. Shoot, there is even a bathroom right there for the kiddies to use!

In five years when you do your remodel it will be more of a time for additional adult space, if you wish.
    Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 1:13PM
Kids homework area would be great and you can keep an eye on them too.

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 1:31PM
Nichole Groshek_Shave
pcmom and Dytecture THANKS. I didn't even think of that. I'm thinking little table on the other half of the room. Awesome! I posted another discussion regarding the new living room. Searching for new furniture and I have come up empty handed. Can you take a look? Thanks again for solving this problem; I feel great about this solution.
    Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 2:09PM
Nichole Groshek_Shave
Went to visit the new home this weekend and got some better measurements... I didn't know there was a bump-out by the bathroom. ANYWAY, I showed my husband that proposed area for eating and an area for kids... LOVED IT. But standing in the space I realized the front door. What in the world can be done to have a nice front entrance? I currently have a beautiful foyer with stairs/railing/table/lamps... the whole nine-yards. I don't see a possibility with making a nice entrance here at all! It actually had me in tears.

PLEASE HELP make this front door entrance welcoming!
    Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 12:41PM
pcmom1
Hmmm...maybe you can explain your whole floor plan to us. That bottom door is the house's front door? Do you have a living room? Or is your space one huge great room? The top picture shows a pantry by the front door and an opening to the right to wet bar. Just explain more to us.

One idea, put your round table directly in front of door. Still leave room to walk around from front and garage! Dress the table each morning with something beautiful in the middle: large vase with curly willow or fresh foliage or flowers.

Don't worry, once we have more info the Houzzers will work on it!
    Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 1:03PM
Nichole Groshek_Shave
Yep! That door right in the middle of the wall is the one-and-only front door. The room is 26' in length so if the main kitchen table (60") were centered I don't think there would be space on either side for anything else and it would just be odd?

So to answer the question about layout I just decided to include a picture -- worth a thousand words. I didn't want to be greedy with all my questions with this new home layout but here goes...

1 - kitchen table. I liked the above suggestions of using a kitchen table on one side of the kitchen and then a kid table on the other side. So I think that problem is solved. Unless there is something else worth thinking about.

2 - NEED a front entrance. Currently love my foyer but this enters right into the kitchen. No ideas!!

3 - Need bar ideas (storage,cabinets,furniture) for the "pub" area.

4 - Buying new furniture for the living room. Will be bringing 52" wide TV that can hang from wall (components will be hidden). Main purpose is TV viewing.

Thanks for all your help. I'm really at a loss with these issues.
Thanks!!!
    Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 1:32PM
pcmom1
Yup, I would put the round table where it was, to the right as you enter. Just be sure to dress it up: nice rug under, something beautiful in the middle of the table.

Then on the wall guest see as they enter: (tub behind) have something beautiful to look at: art, furniture piece, could even be a great bench/coat rack combo.

Kids could still have play area to the left of the door, but find a great screen to place by the door so guests don't look in at toy kitchen, etc.

You will just have to be a neat freak about the kitchen! Perhaps hang a great pot rack and beautiful copper pots over your island.

Just wondering about a future plan....could entry into home be moved to the guest room? Change guest room into great book lined library/foyer...
    Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 5:46PM
Nichole Groshek_Shave
pcmom, first of all thanks for your suggestions. Secondly,, you have read my (and my husband's) mind!!! We have a plan to move the front door to the guest room (and adding a front porch to that 'bump-out') and move the staircase out of the living room and put in the foyer too. This will solve the front door/foyer problem and also the living room problem giving us more wall space. In that plan we will also be rotating the entire kitchen and putting it against the exterior wall and against the front windows (where the current front door is). For fun I included a picture of our first revision.

Still looking for ideas though on
1 - OK

2 - NEED a front entrance. Is my only option to just make the kitchen clean and pretty?

4 - Buying new furniture for the living room. Will be bringing 52" wide TV that can hang from wall (components will be hidden). Main purpose is TV viewing. What furniture and arrangement??? I've read a few articles that were suggested but I can't get passed the traffic flow of the room. The stairs will be HEAVILY utilized since all 4 kids will be up there. Any ideas on arrangements.
    Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 6:17PM
Nichole Groshek_Shave
Realized this may be confusing for anyone new joining this discussion (HOPE there is). Below is the floor plan I need help with. The above is going to be a remodel in a few years.
    Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 6:21PM
Nichole Groshek_Shave
Please help with my 4 design questions. I don't want to have to re-do work once we move in. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

1 - I think I have the solution! The long eat-in kitchen area will be 2 separate spaces - kid table to the left and round 60" table to the right. YEAH!

4 - Buying new furniture for the living room. Will be bringing 52" wide TV that can hang from wall (components will be hidden). Main purpose is TV viewing. What furniture and arrangement??? I've read a few articles that were suggested but I can't get passed the traffic flow of the room. The stairs will be HEAVILY utilized since all 4 kids will be up there. Any ideas on arrangements

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 7:16AM
pcmom1
Is the game room an indoor space? If so, why don't you make that into the tv watching/gathering room! Much more sq. ft and room for seating (large sectional, etc.) than the living room (which is sort of far from the action). You have four kids multiply by 3 for future friend visits, plus large family gatherings!

Noticed layout says: windows all around. Great drapery system needed ? Does this room get very hot or cold?

Your current guest room could double as a game/play room for the kids. Nice to contain them and the noise when you have your own adult gatherings.

I can see that area labeled as living room being taken over by the master bedroom: wonderful setting area for you and hubby by the fireplace! Or as a study for you. Maybe with a day bed which would come in very handy if you want to keep a sick child close to you at night.

You asked about ideas for storage for your bar area. Have fun and shop furniture consignment stores and antique stores for unique ideas. Even if you have a modern style, mixing it up is fun!
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 9:39AM
Nichole Groshek_Shave
Thanks for more ideas pcmom! The game room will be home for our pool table and poker table. We do plan on having some seating in there with the TV above the fireplace. We live in Wisconsin but the room does stay at a nice temp (it was an addition to the original home at some point but we're told it keeps warm). I don't see it being a great place to sit with some popcorn and watch a movie because of the other furnishings.
Thanks again for your insight!
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 9:59AM
Need help in entry, kitchen and dining area.
We just purchased a 1972 ranch. The kitchen was remodeled...
leyenwitzigm
Need ideas for accent wall in eat-in kitchen
Open to ideas! I'm getting a bit overwhelmed in my...
Stephanie Benjamin
eat-in kitchen help
We are in the process of remodeling our 1950s ranch...
elmckie
Need help with living, dining room, entry paint color/colors.
The living room, dining room and entry are green with...
cdmcdonald
Teeny tiny eat-in kitchen
My kitchen is too small so I want to make the most...
bexwerx
Need advice on french door glass...
Should I use clear? or opaque frosted glass in my french...
Sustainable Dwellings
Strange Roof Feature - Ideas?
I'm tying to come up with an affordable improvement...
nataz
Latest RTA Toffee Kitchen Cabinets Done By Lily Ann Cabinets
Hello Houzzer, i would like to share our latest...
Lily Ann Cabinets
New Home in desperate need of HELP! What is missing?
We are buying this home and I need help fixing whatever...
Julie Smith
how to decorate this wooden bathroom?
Replace vanity? Go with white? Its a tiny space.....wood...
kenricsyd