Can custom cabinetry be re-used?
michellerunsnow
I have an opportunity to buy used custom cabinetry for a great price (or so I think). It has to come off the wall yet, wondering if this is doable without destroying the cabinets. An idea on price is $50 for the photo with the wine storage and both cabinets connected. And pay for someone to install. I have lots of cabinets to chose from. The brown photo is of the kitchen in the home I just bought-is this an economical way to go-gut the kitchen I have now, buy up these nice solid custom cabinets? Or will they break coming out? They are being sold by an Estate company which makes me think they should be able to come out ok. Thanks so much!
rollifam
Very pretty! Shouldn't be a problem. You don't have to "demo" them like on the design shows, you just unscrew them from the wall =) Measure, and if you can use them, I say they are a great deal!
September 15, 2012 at 3:27PM     
michellerunsnow
I should clarify this better-they were built on site-I did have a builder friend look at them, he was unsure for some of the cabinets to come off without destroying-I want to see if he's right-I would love to be able to have them!
September 15, 2012 at 3:31PM   
Fairpoint Construction & Development
Usually they are just screwed to the wall. There may be some paint damage to the middle section because this looks like it don in three sections. Check the middle section. It may be screwed in on the sides of the other cabinets.
September 15, 2012 at 3:34PM   
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi Michelle, as others have mentioned, you should be able to remove them by unscrewing them from the wall. We've salvaged many kitchens from our remodels because we donate most to charity. The best way to remove long sections of upper cabs safely is to cut 2x4 blocks (Placed against the wall) which fit tight between the counter and the upper cabs.

We're then able to un-screw long lengths of wall cabs and carefully lower them to the counter. (Its a two person job) We occasionally need to add extra screws (or clamps) to the long cabinet runs so they don't collapse when we're moving them to the truck.

If the cabs are site built with sheet goods *in place* then its isn't possible to salvage them, but I've only ever seen examples of that for lower cabinets.

For cabinet runs that are too long to move, we carefully cut sections apart using a Fein cutter, which cuts very cleanly. No matter how easily cabinets come apart there are always components that get slightly damaged, OR need tweaking and touch up etc. Crown, toe kick, scribes are examples of that. If your carpenter "de-constructs" them (i.e. - the reverse of how it was installed) instead of just removes them, the damage can be minimized.

Because your cabinet plan is most likely different to that of the ones you're removing, you may have to create some new matching pieces, like end panels etc. A good cabinet maker/finisher can usually make these for you to match.

Hope it goes well, its definitely a bargain!

Steve
September 15, 2012 at 4:36PM     
Linda
If you can use the pieces, buy them. You can't buy the materials for that price. Are there other cabinets or is that a lonely only?

Thanks Steve for donating old cabinets...I have bought several sets from my local ReStore and installed them in low budget rehabs. Nice quality used cabinet sets are a big moneysaver if you can make them work. Using reclaimed materials and careful shopping, I can do a complete kitchen gut job for $1500-$2000 in materials but it is only a money maker if you do the work yourself or have a good carpenter at a reasonable price. Working with reclaimed materials is quite a bit different than laying out a design and buying everything to fit,.
September 15, 2012 at 6:15PM     
Walter Comstock
Don't do it!!! I tried this and ended up throwing the new one's out, trying to make someone elses cabinets fit was a disaster. Your kitchen looks great just dated. Add some crown molding to the tops along with some new glass doors on some of the cabinets, paint the tops one color with a contrasting color on the bottom, some nice subway tile back splash and new hardware and volia a new up to date kitchen at half the work and agravation.
September 16, 2012 at 6:47AM   
The Kitchen Studio of Glen Ellyn
It is in general very difficult to make cabinets "work" for a space unless they are specifically designed to work for the space. I would tend to agree with Walter. You could sand, prime (important) and paint the existing cabinets, add some new black honed granite countertops, appliances and crown molding @ the ceiling. Add some white subway tile and a couple glass cabinets and you have a great new look.

On the other hand, you shouldn't have any problem removing the cabinets and re-using them if this is the route you decide to take. Why not just agree to pay for them with the assumption that removing them does not destroy them. This seems a reasonable request.
September 16, 2012 at 9:46AM   
BeautifulRemodel.com
Michelle, please make sure you measure both your existing kitchen floor plan and each new cabinet you plan to re-use, before you commit to buying them. You need to be certain that the salvaged cabinets will work in your kitchen, plus there is *always* the need for modifications and additions to the salvaged ones (as I mentioned earlier).

Do you have someone that can build doors, cabinets and moldings for you, if you need them? As for finishing the new pieces, it helps that the cabinets you're considering using are painted, as they're easier to match than stained.

Walter did bring up some good suggestions about revamping your cabinetry instead of replacing it. You could create a similar look to what you're after, especially if you replace certain doors with glass ones. You can also add molding to your doors on the perimeter (inside the rounded edge), to create more detail.

While your soffit doesn't allow you to add crown molding, you could still make a nice difference with the other changes. Always nice to have a plan B :)

Steve
September 16, 2012 at 9:53AM   
Vikrant Sharma Homez
These are Good , and installation is easy too , just need to screw it properly .
September 16, 2012 at 10:20AM   
michellerunsnow
oh boy, lots to think about! Thanks a million for all the great advice!
September 16, 2012 at 1:22PM     
PoshHaus
The ultimate way of recycling is reusing. Also if you ever change your style you can always paint, or change hardware.
September 16, 2012 at 1:28PM   
PoshHaus
September 16, 2012 at 1:29PM   
Claudia Albertson
send me the info...I'll buy if you don't.
September 16, 2012 at 5:50PM   
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
Custom cabinetry is usually well built. I would just make sure your have a pro remove them and they should be just fine.
June 26, 2014 at 7:36AM   
Small, boring living room
Hello! I've been going crazy with picking new color...
Need a gray paint color to go with GE Slate appliances
I am going to have the kitchen cabinets on my island...
Matching exiting floor tile for other 1/2 of room
Buying a beach condo that has existing tile in dining...
Paint and decor ideas for M. Bedroom?
Thinking of a darker gray or blue tones to make it...