How to find a good, reputable architect?
critrnurse
September 16, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I would like to do an addition and modernize the exterior of my home.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi critrnurse,

Referrals are always the best as you know and trust your friends/co-workers more than people you haven't met. If none of your friends have worked with architects (or they didnt like them) you may want to consider talking with contractors and designers who have worked with architects, to see who they like. (They get a unique perspective as they experience both a working relationship with them and have seen how they've interacted with their clients)

The AIA can also give you recommendations of architects in your area http://architectfinder.aia.org/, if you use this resource, make sure that you speak with *multiple* clients to find out how they were to work with. If you're comfortable working with an architect long distance, they are many here on Houzz that are great. One particularly helpful and talented person is David of Dytecture. http://www.houzz.com/pro/dytecture/dytecture. While I've never worked with David, I'm impressed with his knowledge and eye for detail.

As an alternate plan, you may also want to consider a design/build company instead of an architect and builder. As the name implies, A DB company builds what they design, so you have fewer people involved and no finger pointing if something should go wrong. (We are a design-build company but we also gladly work with architects and designers depending on the project)

Hope this helps
Steve
   September 16, 2012 at 2:39PM
critrnurse
Thanks, for the ideas, will be looking into them tomorrow.
   September 16, 2012 at 10:39PM
mswilder
If there are other recently updated homes that you admire, inquire of the owner who they used. There's many good architects or DB team out there, but most have a unique niche in the local market. You don't want to hire the 'best' architect whose vision is drastically different from yours; take your time and find the good fit for you.
   September 16, 2012 at 11:22PM