Kitchen backsplash wall preparation?
Diana Haney
We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel. When we demolished the kitchen, it was almost impossible to not rip off part of the sheet rock paper, as you can see in the pictures. It is a torn off strip around what will be the base of the countertops. All the work is being contracted out. The Quartz countertops are being installed tomorrow and on Tuesday, I am having someone come out to give me a bid on doing a backsplash. Do I need to paint some kind of sealer on the area that has been damaged or is this something that is done by the tile company? I plan on having it run clear up to the bottom of the cabinets.
Dallas Renovation Group
Hi Diana. Fret not! As long as the surface is smooth, you should be okay. It is not too uncommon to do a lot more damage than this in demo. We typically cut out and repair the Sheetrock, float the area smooth for a nice even thinset bed, and lay the tile. This would be very different in a shower or tub area (with all the moisture), but you should be fine in a kitchen. Your Tile layers should be the final judge, in my opinion. good Luck.
0 Likes   September 19, 2012 at 5:26PM
Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
Be sure to have the tile come all the way down to the counter top and don't go with the standard 4" splash with the tile above that.. also might be a good time to upgrade those electrical outlets and switches.. nice to get them to disappear into the color of the new splash. Lutron makes switches and outlets in about 25 colors. Also.. if you have a pattern to the splash be sure to not let the outlets interrupt a banding or accent.
2 Likes   May 24, 2014 at 12:52PM
GN Builders L.L.C
x2 what other said...

When we faced with something like this, we repair the damage using quick drying mud, dura-bond, etc), because when you apply glue or thinset to "raw" paper backing like you have it there, paper tends to bubble and lose hold and can cause tiles to become lose down the road. I never had a call back using this approach.
1 Like   May 24, 2014 at 1:14PM
bgfuqua
older post
1 Like   May 24, 2014 at 1:42PM
Steam Shower feedback, please
I need some advice on a custom-built steam shower versus...
Which color do I choose, left or right side gray? Help please
Please help me choose which color on main wall. Both...
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...
Front Door Color - HELP???
No clue what color to paint the front door (which cannot...
Entrance hall / staircase wall help needef
This is the view of the hallway from my front door...